Trailer advice for BX

Hedgehog

Equipment
Bx2370
Apr 5, 2015
Fairhaven massachusetts
With winter coming, I'm starting to look at trailers to move my BX2370. It will have a ballast box on rear and either the FEL or snowblower on the front. I current own a 7X16 enclosed trailer but since I installed a Curtis hard sided cab, it will not fit in the enclosed trailer. Single axle or double,many advice is appreciated.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I hear ya, sold my enclosed 8x16 enclosed for almost the same reason. Now my dad is letting me borrow indefinitely a single axle 7x14. But i have to take my backhoe off cause it would be overwieght. Also will have to back in otherwise the tractor will be too far rearward and no tongue weight.
Personally I have a lookout for a 16' double axle dump trailer. Weight will not be an issue. With the trailer I can get my mulch, dirt, gravel and/or firewood.
Double axle trailers just pull better and having a set of brakes back there is a plus.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
With winter coming, I'm starting to look at trailers to move my BX2370. It will have a ballast box on rear and either the FEL or snowblower on the front. I current own a 7X16 enclosed trailer but since I installed a Curtis hard sided cab, it will not fit in the enclosed trailer. Single axle or double,many advice is appreciated.

I too would vote for the double axle trailer. I have a 14x6 that when I place my BX25 on - two things have to happen - curl the bucket so it stays inside the frame of the trailer, and swing the hoe to one side, doing all of this gets the centerline of the tractor forward of the centerline of the two axles.

If I had the $$$$$$ I too would get the 16' trailer, most of those at a minimum have 7000 lb capacities. you machine and all it's parts will get up there close to 3500 lbs depending on what cha got on it at the time.

when the man dropped my BX off two years ago, it came off a SINGLE axle trailer, a 12' wide and when he backed off the trailer , the trucks rear wheels left the ground slightly!!!:eek:

a tilt bed is super nice - but sometimes the budget gets in the way, IF you buy a used one, it will rarely go down too much more in price in the future, i.e. - you buy a used 6x16 dual axle for $2500, if you take care of it, it will be worth that 5 years from now.

post pictures when you can!:D:)

GEPM64

Equipment
B2601 with FEL, Box Scraper, rotary mower, 3pt snowblower and Sovema Tiller
Sep 15, 2014
Hazelridge, Manitoba, Canada
I picked up a 14' double axle trailer to haul my bx2370. I wanted a 16' but one was not available until October. I might actually trade this one in for a 16' when ones available, just to have the extra room on the trailer. Here's a picture of the tractor on my 14'

I would look for a 16' as it will give you more flexibility down the road.

Good luck!
Glenn

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I picked up a 14' double axle trailer to haul my bx2370. I wanted a 16' but one was not available until October. I might actually trade this one in for a 16' when ones available, just to have the extra room on the trailer. Here's a picture of the tractor on my 14'

Good luck!
Glenn
Glenn,

that fits nicely ....I agree that extra 2' makes life a little easier for other goodies!

Ever notice that a few inches forward or a few back change the dynamics of the hauling? On my 14' - I can feel that slight difference pulling it if I am smidge too much forward or not forward enough!:)

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

Good luck!
Glenn
Just picked up a SureTrac 7X18, 10,000 GVW, to haul my B3200 with FEL & BH. It is replacing a 7X16 7,000 GVW it was a tight fit and way to close to the weight limit. Having the extra 2ft will be a big plus on getting the weight in the right place. It should pull and handle muck better, it's 250 mile trip from home up to Camp!

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Good for you Tughill!

Match that trailer with a proper hitch as per other posts here and you will be up pulling a safe load that meets DOT requirements.

That trailer won't be much more to tow.

Hedgehog

Equipment
Bx2370
Apr 5, 2015
Fairhaven massachusetts
Ok, my friend is buying my enclosed trailer so now I have to start looking. I agree with you guys on the 7X16 size with tandem axles, but I was wondering, should I be looking for a equipment trailer, a landscaping trailer or a car trailer? Advice appreciated!

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Ok, my friend is buying my enclosed trailer so now I have to start looking. I agree with you guys on the 7X16 size with tandem axles, but I was wondering, should I be looking for a equipment trailer, a landscaping trailer or a car trailer? Advice appreciated!
Hi a couple years ago i had a 16'x72" deck built, I ordered it with 2 3500lbs axles with a 4" drop it's a 5" C channel frame with the ramps stored under the rear, also a 3/8x2 1/2" rub rail and stake pockets you can tie down all along the sides, on the front they put a little headache rack that can't be removed.
Instead of paint I had it galvanized, LED lights and brakes on both axles. I haul my BX2660 with loader and 60" box blade around without a problem and it's nice and low so climbing on and off is not a problem. Hope this helps with your decision. Barry

Stan Wetmore

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, and loader and front snowblower
Jan 17, 2013
Saint John, NB Canada
I agree a double axel can be better. Take it from my son who has an old double axle trailer and was picking up a new to his brother L4150 for him. They had to take it about 50 miles to his brothers home from where he bought. Everything went well for about half of the trip and they decided to pull over at a gas station and check the load. It was all fastened on fine and tight. Shortly after they pulled away, the 3/4T Dodge Ram lurched violently and the Cummins poured on more fuel and pulled harder. At this point he noticed he couldn't see out his mirror for the massive smoke. He pulled over to the side. What had happened was one of the trailers 4 wheels broke completely off the axle and jamped up under the fender and proceeded to smoke very badly. The trailer still with the tractor tightly chained on it was sitting at an angle supported by the one remaining tire left on that side and the 2 on the other side. I couldn't imagine what would have happened if this was a single axle trailer.
After much later when they got it home they found that someone had done a very bad weld job on the axles. They fixed up all of the welds and added gussets.

live and learn.

Stan

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Always go bigger, stronger, better, than you think you need.
"OVERBUILT IS UNDER RATED"

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I too would vote for the double axle trailer. I have a 14x6 that when I place my BX25 on - two things have to happen - curl the bucket so it stays inside the frame of the trailer, and swing the hoe to one side, doing all of this gets the centerline of the tractor forward of the centerline of the two axles.

If I had the $$$$$$ I too would get the 16' trailer, most of those at a minimum have 7000 lb capacities. you machine and all it's parts will get up there close to 3500 lbs depending on what cha got on it at the time.

when the man dropped my BX off two years ago, it came off a SINGLE axle trailer, a 12' wide and when he backed off the trailer , the trucks rear wheels left the ground slightly!!!:eek:

a tilt bed is super nice - but sometimes the budget gets in the way, IF you buy a used one, it will rarely go down too much more in price in the future, i.e. - you buy a used 6x16 dual axle for $2500, if you take care of it, it will be worth that 5 years from now.

post pictures when you can!:D:)
A friend of my just bought an 18' car hauler to move his New Holland on. I built a set of adjustable stabilizers on the sides of the tail, to support the back when unloading. He has removable ramps, and the
way they stow, legs can't be added.