Tractor won't start after changing glow plugs

B1702

Oct 27, 2013
England
Hi, I have an old B1702 which is a grey import in the UK. The engine is a 3 cylinder affair and kicks out 17ps according to the vin tag.

It's run fine for the 18 months I've owned it so today I thought i would treat it to new glow plugs.

I installed NGK 2031 Y103v plugs but the engine wouldn't start afterwards. I therefore replaced the old plugs and again it wouldn't start. Not had any issues before.

I tried to look behind the dash but it's metal with metal bulkhead, is there an easy way to get in?

Any way the lights going now so I've put it back in the store till next weekend when I will have another look.

Has anyone any ideas where I should be looking first please.

Thank you for your assistance

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When you replaced the GP's did you remove the intake to get to the front one? Got to look at what you could have disturbed. I'd say double check the connections to the GP's. Be sure the wire from the switch to the first GP is connected tight, then the second one, then the third.

Use a test light to see where your power to them stops. Got to be something simple. Just be patient.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Read the cast in # on the right side behind the injection pump and hydraulic pump.

The glow plugs not working will not stop it from running, they just assist the older motors in starting easier.

Did you remove any injector lines?
How do you shut off the tractor, key or throttle lever?
If it's key look for a wire that was knocked off of the fuel solenoid.

B1702

Oct 27, 2013
England
Cheers guys, hopefully it's something straightforward and I will take some more tools and meter with me at the weekend.

NIW, can you please explain your first sentence, it lost me.

Thank you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sorry that was not very clear.
On the side of the engine block behind the injection pump and hydraulic pump is a cast in # and that is the size of the motor, it's might help in trying to get you more information since we can't pull a normal manual for it.

B1702

Oct 27, 2013
England
Managed to get a quick look at the tractor tonight before the light went.

According to the vin tag, engine is a D950

7 volts at all 3 glow plugs

Injectors bled but still not starting, will investigate further tomorrow.

B1702

Oct 27, 2013
England
Good news is its working, bad news I don't know why.

Injectors bled through without success, then dashboard lights ingnition and oil pressure stopped working so suspected electrical issue.

Took back off dash board, looking at regulator and found broken wire, think I did it as it made no difference. Went through everything twice but couldn't spot any obvious issues, then the lights came back on and it started!

Three wasted days but I now know a lot more about my kubota. Reminds of the saying, if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Forgot to mention engine cc 927

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Great news, B1702. Mixed blessings; I truly hate when things resume working without rhyme or reason -- sometimes that causes me more sleepless nights than the not-working does.

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Glad it's working now. I found in my maintenance days that "laying on hands" would mysteriously fix things. Didn't question the karma but still wanted to know what happened.

clippy

Equipment
Kubota B6100D w/ Kubota FL1000 Tiller, Kubota Bedder, Brush Hog Mower
You said the engine is a D950. That's the same as a B7200. You can go to kubotabooks.com and download an operating manual, workshop manual and parts manual for the B7200. It would probably help having those to refer to.