Tractor won’t shut off!

Kodet

Equipment
L2900 GST
Dec 7, 2019
Grass Valley, CA, USA
Have an issue with my L2900 gst. I went to use it today and it started as normal. I went to shut it off via the key and would not shut down. I pulled the kill switch and it shut down. I went to start it again and it would then not start. Would not turn over or any lights on the dash. Fuses in the cab area are all good (none blown).

I pulled the ignition switch and cleaned all the posts and checked for resistance. It seems to all check out. Battery has 12.9 volts.

What are others thoughts on the root cause or where to start looking?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When you pulled the kill switch, that probably has to be reset to allow the tractor to have electrical power restored to the dash. If it wouldn't shut off with the key, probably the fuel shut down solenoid has failed or the wire has fallen off of it. I am not familiar with your tractor, but this is a general statement of how most diesel's work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have more than likely blown the main fuse by the starter, you have a serious short somewhere in the electrical system.

The reason the electric shut down didn't work was because it requires power through a timer to engage the stop solenoid, you have no power to the system so you have no power to the stop solenoid timer or stop solenoid.

DustyRusty, Pulling the mechanical stop does nothing to the electrical system, it just mechanically cuts the fuel deliver from the injection pump. ;)

Kodet

Equipment
L2900 GST
Dec 7, 2019
Grass Valley, CA, USA
You have more than likely blown the main fuse by the starter, you have a serious short somewhere in the electrical system.

The reason the electric shut down didn't work was because it requires power through a timer to engage the stop solenoid, you have no power to the system so you have no power to the stop solenoid timer or stop solenoid.
Thank you. Will crawl around it tomorrow if the rain stops enough to allow it. Would be nice to get it started and move to my shop to trace if there is a short in dryer conditions!

Kodet

Equipment
L2900 GST
Dec 7, 2019
Grass Valley, CA, USA
Thanks all for the ideas. It was a fuse issue. My battery strap was lose and caused a short I guess. Got it started. Power needed to kill the tractor was new so happy to have learned something new.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Excellent to hear! :D

Last edited: