Tractor tool box at Lowes...

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
That might be alright for Ford or NH, but this is orange country.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I bought one of those old metal ammo cans (military style). They come in various sizes, and the lid clamps down water tight. Usually they are dark green color, but a rattle can of orange paint fixes that. They are nearly indestructible and pretty cheap.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I bought one of those old metal ammo cans (military style). They come in various sizes, and the lid clamps down water tight. Usually they are dark green color, but a rattle can of orange paint fixes that. They are nearly indestructible and pretty cheap.
I'm going with the 50 cal ammo can as well. I don't have to worry about it cracking in the cold, I can epoxy a couple magnets on the side which gives me a great place to put pins, tools etc when using so I don't lose them. I plan on fabbing up a base that I can set and clamp the can in to so it remains weather tight but easily removed. If I had access to a welder, I would just weld a couple nuts to the base and mount with some bolts and rubber bushings behind the seat...

Honey!! I need to buy a welder.....

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You don't need to epoxy an magnet to a metal tool box. If it won't hold itself on, it won't do much for you! Get a Neodymium Magnet.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
You don't need to epoxy an magnet to a metal tool box. If it won't hold itself on, it won't do much for you! Get a Neodymium Magnet.
Good point.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I keep trying to understand what a magnet has to do with a toolbox. I keep coming up with zip.

All my toolboxes are bolted on their respective implements as well as my tractors. Only 'magnetic' thing is my personality.....:eek:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I keep trying to understand what a magnet has to do with a toolbox. I keep coming up with zip.

All my toolboxes are bolted on their respective implements as well as my tractors. Only 'magnetic' thing is my personality.....:eek:
the "magnet" on the 50 cal tool box ...is to attract small objects that you need frequently and do not want to place INSIDE the ol box!

3 point hitch pins.......snap rings....etc

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I've got a big round magnet I picked up at Harbor Freight and it's on the back side of my ROPS, held on by magnetism! I use it to put lynch pins on when changing an implement. Don't have to lay them down and hope to find them 5 minutes later.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

A magnet IS a TOOL. At least I keep one in my toolbox for dropped items and to remove filings and test for steel/iron.
I put a few of the "super magnets" (did someone say "Neodymium"?... cheap from Horrible Fright) on the outside-circumference of my spin on oil filter to attract and hold wear metal from the engine oil. Cutting open a filter after an oil change will surprise you what's stuck on the inside of the filter-can that the filter never catches.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Magnet is a tool... I'll remember that.....:D

Interestingly, as many different implements as I have though most are drawbar pulled, the ones that do connect with pins and spring pins, I keep the spring pins attached to the respective attachment pins on each implement and when I hitch them up, the pins usually go in my pocket and out again when securing the implement.

Not much in any of my tractor tool boxes anyway. Mostly draw pins because I need 3 different sizes, a spare pair of gloves and a few Cat 1 to cat 2 bushings and a couple extra spring pins in case I drop one in the field and cannot find it, which I do, do. I buy them by the bag at the farm store anyway. It's a consumable, a looseable consumable.:eek:

I do carry a crowbar on the floor of each tractor for 'alignment' issues. Easier than 'muscling' an implement around and most of my 'stuff' is pretty heavy anyway.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Magnet is a tool... I'll remember that.....:D

Interestingly, as many different implements as I have though most are drawbar pulled, the ones that do connect with pins and spring pins, I keep the spring pins attached to the respective attachment pins on each implement and when I hitch them up, the pins usually go in my pocket and out again when securing the implement.

Not much in any of my tractor tool boxes anyway. Mostly draw pins because I need 3 different sizes, a spare pair of gloves and a few Cat 1 to cat 2 bushings and a couple extra spring pins in case I drop one in the field and cannot find it, which I do, do. I buy them by the bag at the farm store anyway. It's a consumable, a looseable consumable.:eek:

I do carry a crowbar on the floor of each tractor for 'alignment' issues. Easier than 'muscling' an implement around and most of my 'stuff' is pretty heavy anyway.
Remember those tire tools that are about 20" long with a flat end and then have an 80 deg bend with the "socket" to remove the lug nuts? I paint one white or read and keep on each farm tractor. Nice alignment tool.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Was at Lowes last night and they have to blue tool boxes in black as well.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don't care for plastic. I found an excellent all-metal tool box at HF and painted it with Rustoleum Kubota ORANGE after removing the lid-handle.
(You wouldn't believe the stoopid factory tool-box on a M4700DT... it's placed UNDER the right floorboard, just in front of the axle, almost inaccessible because of it's location (you have to kneel under the tractor like you are going to drain the hydraulics)... and is a 10" (25.4 cm) long, slender, thin, easily-crushed sheet-metal, useless box with a goofy "flip-top" forward end-lid and is easily damaged by brush. Trying to figure out why in hell they would place a tool box so far beneath the tractor... kinda like why in blazes did they mount the headlights so low in front that the FEL bucket is brilliantly, blindingly... illuminated but nothing in front of the tractor can be seen.... (With a serious look....took me a moment....My Dealer said it was made in Japan and that's as high as they could reach!)

Last edited: