tractor tires

Taylortoon

Feb 19, 2010
OK
Can someone please tell me what ratio of water and antifreeze you use when putting them in tractor tires for added weight? Thanks.

smokinhart

Equipment
b6000E,B6100DT, King Cutter RM48, Front end Loader, Rear Blade,Gravel Reclaimer
Oct 21, 2009
Manhattan, Kansas
Can someone please tell me what ratio of water and antifreeze you use when putting them in tractor tires for added weight? Thanks.
Use the same as you put in the radiator for your temperature zone.

I think recommended by Antifreeze MFG is 50/50 or 60/40. Be cautious of any leaks or spills as it is toxic to humans and animals. (might even be EPA reportable depending on where it happens)

Safest and maybe cheaper is RV antifreeze.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I use 50/50 just like in the truck I was thinking of useing RV ainti freeze in mine but couldnt find enough to fill the tires so a CHEAP anti freeze 4 gal per wheel as I remember and then just filled the rest with water untill it spit out the valve body put the valve gut back in and pumped inthe air,,works well,, Im even thinkin about doing the front wheels too,, dont think it would help much but every little bit helps i guess

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Someone had sent a link on here in a previous post to a website that lets you calculate the tire size into gallons of water for the correct amount of fill and antifreeze or other media. Might want to do a post search on here.

Taylortoon

Feb 19, 2010
OK
Thanks for all the answers and now not to seem stupid... could you please tell me exactly how to do it(ballast the tires, I mean). What kind of pump, etc. Thanks so much.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Theres all kinds of pumps you can buyattachments for the garden hose and so on.. Now what I did on the cheap was this,, I had an old 2 gallon pump up garden sprayer,, I took the hose off and stuck on a piece of old rubber tubing I found some place and pushed it onthe nipple from the tank of the sprayer, and on the other end i found an old needle like for pumping up footballs and such and put it inthe other end and hose clamped both in place.. Jacked up the tractor lifting both rear wheels off the ground ( NO WEIGHT ON THE TIRES) turned them one at a time untill the valve was at 12:00 took the gut out and let all the air out of the tire. dumped 2 gallons of anti freeze in to the pump sprayer held the discharge end in to the tire valve and pumped the sprayer up,,, Every so often you have to let air out of the tire because as you fill the void the air pressure will buld up. Use how ever much you desideed on useing ( in my case was 4 gallons of anti freeze to 4 gallons of water,50/50 mix I did the anti freeze first then the water) when the water squerts out of the tire valve your full let it drain for a couple of seconds and put the valve gut back in, pump it up to the required pressure and move to the other tire.. It's not as fast as some other ways but it worked for me and everything was right here to use,, I think it took maybe 45 min per wheel but some of that time was sitting and enjoying a barley pop or 3! Hope this helps
Peace
Skeets

smokinhart

Equipment
b6000E,B6100DT, King Cutter RM48, Front end Loader, Rear Blade,Gravel Reclaimer
Oct 21, 2009
Manhattan, Kansas
As an alternate to the pump system I used some old stainless steel Coca-Cola Premix tanks and filled them with the liquid, 5 gallons each , added the pressure to the inlet side of the tank and attached to a fluid fill valve on the tire. The pressure pushes the liquid thru the tank to the tire and if needed all I had to do was shut off the pressure and bleed the tire valve to release the internal tire air pressure and then continue to fill again. This system is similar to what the tire stores do with a calcium fill pressure tank.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
My Kubota manual says to fill the tire about 3/4 full of liquid and the rest air - leaves room for cushion and expansion. Specifically says not to fill the tire completely with fluid. :confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
filling your tires too full of ballast can cause severe damage to the tire. It will break the belts and could cause it to rupture. In worst case scenarios it can also damage the rim.:eek:
Liquid's do not compress, so it can actually hydraulically bend the rim!;)

pbarnett

Equipment
M7450, L3010 & BX25
May 29, 2013
Brookhaven, MS, USA
POLL - Cost to Add Water to Tires - M7040

What would be a fair charge for adding water & antifreeze to the rear tires of my M7040?

My local Kubota dealer just charged me the following:

$195.00 - (1) Install tire ballast (water/antifreeze solution)
$ 48.32 - (4) Miscellaneous Parts
$ 17.03 - Tax

$260.35 - TOTAL

I feel as though I have just been run over by my M7040