Tractor sizing

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I just watched a video on HST Plus. I knew the L3940 that I never bought had it. I only remembered it as an anti-stall guard, but I see it is a bit more and/or more features have been added since then. With that being said, I have yet to stall my L2501 and I have done some pretty good pushing. It is easy to tell when to let up before the engine starts to bog down. Another feature of the Grand L is it will shift to a lower range setting when more power is needed. Again, not a big deal to me. I am in low range loader working mostly. Sometimes I forget I am in Medium range and correct that mistake usually right away. I am almost never in High unless I want to hit the little stretch of highway between both my driveways and "open it up" for kicks.

Ballast is a definite must. I just lifted the back wheels off the ground this evening while pulling up a big dying plum tree in my yard with my grapple. I don't have the backhoe on right now and have a 5 ft tiller, which weights less and doesn't extend out as far. That is the first time that has happened as I always have the backhoe on it. The backhoe is excellent ballast apparently.

On that note, I would rather pay less for a Grand L and add a backhoe on a standard L. I Know many are anti backhoe. It seems most are either 100% for it or 100% against it. I don't use mine often, but when I do, I am sure am happy I have it. I especially enjoyed having it when the lines to my septic tank had to be replaced. I probably would have had to rent one for a few days or pay for the work. Either way, that saved me some cash.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Our little Kubota Mini-X's at work aren't available right now for a project that needs one. Yesterday I rented one for that job at $250/day, $675/week , $1,550/4-week and $250 round trip. These small units are under 3,000# and could easily be moved on a trailer with a pickup truck to avoid the delivery & pickup charges.

I'm one who has expressed no interest in having a backhoe, but I'm not "anti-backhoe". Just never had any interest. We built here 30 years ago and still haven't needed one. We have two Mini-X and trailers to haul them at work, and I never brought one home.

I have used one of the bucket trucks several times for trimming trees, spraying and replacing the rake trim on the house after a storm. If I didn't have access to bucket trucks I wouldn't buy one of them even though I used them more than I would a backhoe:)

blackdogfarms

Oct 5, 2020
NC
Well I think I am going to decide on the 3301. Meet the needs and I can take advantage of the longer financing term ($100 a month difference). Plus I get my full 5hp per implement foot. My dad talked me into getting the package deal (box blade, rotary cutter and trailer) finances only adds a few more dollars a month and I have new equipment I will have a life time.

Now to find the closest dealer with the best deal.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Congrats, sounds like plenty of tractor for your needs. Take a close look at those package deals - they can be a great deal, they can also be implements and trailers that are built to a price. In other words, don't take them just because it's a deal - check it's the implement and the trailer you would have bought if you were buying them independently.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
As Paul said, a lot of time, the pre-package deals that dealers put together are with trailers and implements that are on the bottom end of the quality line. Make sure you know what you are getting. Sometimes cheapest is not the best in the long run

ki4dog

Equipment
L2501, Loader, DH1060, Titan 1205 rotary cutter, Titan pallet forks, TERYX
May 30, 2020
Kingston, TN
My L2501 moves 4x5 bales easier than expected. Wouldn't want to move many trees though. If money is an issue I personally would spend it on hydraulic options over hp, but that's just for MY uses. I do everything I need on my goat farm with the L2501.

blackdogfarms

Oct 5, 2020
NC
So I talked with the dealer today. Apparently our region just got approved for the 2501 and L3560 at 84 months financing. Making me choose between the two.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Oh dear. Small L or Grand L. There is a big gap between those tractors, but they are just a small step each away from the L3301. That's quite annoying. The L2501 has a great reputation, so don't discount it without at least going and sitting on one. I think the loader and hydraulics are identical to the L3301 - so for any hydraulic related tasks, it'll perform the same. I suspect tires are the same to - so for anything that's limited by traction it will also perform the same. The big difference is PTO HP, and that is an important difference.

If I recall correctly, you didn't plan on doing much PTO related other than mowing/bush hogging. Whilst HP is king there, torque is also important when you push into some heavier/longer grass. The L2501 has a mountain of torque for it's size.

This video could also be helpful - I always find Messicks make a lot of good videos.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Oh dear. Small L or Grand L. There is a big gap between those tractors, but they are just a small step each away from the L3301. That's quite annoying. The L2501 has a great reputation, so don't discount it without at least going and sitting on one. I think the loader and hydraulics are identical to the L3301 - so for any hydraulic related tasks, it'll perform the same. I suspect tires are the same to - so for anything that's limited by traction it will also perform the same. The big difference is PTO HP, and that is an important difference.

If I recall correctly, you didn't plan on doing much PTO related other than mowing/bush hogging. Whilst HP is king there, torque is also important when you push into some heavier/longer grass. The L2501 has a mountain of torque for it's size.

This video could also be helpful - I always find Messicks make a lot of good videos.
You will want more power than the entry level L2501, get the L3901. Don’t do a package the implements and trailer will be the cheapest and lightest duty available

blackdogfarms

Oct 5, 2020
NC
You will want more power than the entry level L2501, get the L3901. Don’t do a package the implements and trailer will be the cheapest and lightest duty available
the implements are all landpride brand

that’s the thing is I follow this advice which is what I initially had decided to do by getting the L3901 it’s only 2 more thousand to step up to the grand L3560.
As one member said earlier just get the M8 😂

blackdogfarms

Oct 5, 2020
NC
I decided on the L2501. Hopefully take delivery in 10 days or so. Thanks for all the help. Will post pictures of the arrival.

blackdogfarms

Oct 5, 2020
NC
I decided on the L2501. Hopefully take delivery in 10 days or so. Thanks for all the help. Will post pictures of the arrival.
got her this morning. Put 2 hrs on her bush hogging this evening. Did great. Tmr I have a full day planned with the grapple. Great tractor.

4283BFCF-698A-403F-98CC-2463E673BBA2.jpeg

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Very nice. Have fun with the grapple. Depending on what you are doing, be careful you do not ram a stick through your grill. I had already read about others doing such and realized just how easy it could be the first time I used my grapple. Even then, I had some that protruded through the grapple closer than I had liked.

I shortly thereafter welded some expanded metal over the grill. Good insurance.

Attachments

blackdogfarms

Oct 5, 2020
NC
Very nice. Have fun with the grapple. Depending on what you are doing, be careful you do not ram a stick through your grill. I had already read about others doing such and realized just how easy it could be the first time I used my grapple. Even then, I had some that protruded through the grapple closer than I had liked.

I shortly thereafter welded some expanded metal over the grill. Good insurance.
funny you mention that I have been looking at doing this exact thing.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
funny you mention that I have been looking at doing this exact thing.

Well worth it for sure. There are several threads on here about it. You can get so much done with a grapple, and as a bonus, it is fun to use. :)

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I really like what Paul L said, especially about the size. I just bought my Kubota to replace a JD 3020, which had the power I needed, but was too darn big for my small property and a have a Ford 4000 which is the perfect size, but I couldn't (easily) put a loader on it. After having the JD for awhile I had a bigger snowblower than the Ford could handle. I was looking for something the size of the Ford with (most of) the power of the JD. I also wanted to use some of my Cat II stuff, so went with the "Grand" L.

It may have been smarter to go smaller and just get a new snowblower, I guess time will tell.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I had to laugh at this, because I know exactly what you have went through in the process of your decision.

I have been toying with the idea of a L2501 for a bit now. To add to my stable. Would keep my BX2200 and B2910. The subframe backhoe is desirable, and I could sell my Kubota B4690A 3PH backhoe probably, and offset the backhoe cost a bit.

Please keep us informed on how the L2501 performs for your needs. Can not help but think you will be pleased with it.