Tractor shed lemons to lemonaid

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
This last winter we had devastaing storms that took down many spruce trees on the shore it was sad to loose the large spruce trees. But with a lot of help from the kubota . We will build a tractor shed later this summer. The Quote from the local building supply for a 16x24x 10 building is 14.500 without the slab excavation or labor. my goal is to build it for less than 15000 all in. I have to get a letter of lumber grading from an engineer to use rough sawn lumber but my neighbor owns a mill and saws for .50 a bd ft for my logs vs 2.83 a bd ft for a 2x4x10 at the lumber yard. So for 340 dollars I received almost 700 bd ft of lumber So here is the start of it. From the storm to the lumber pile and a little of the excavation and stump removal for the garage
DSCN5510_01.JPG
DSCN5514_01.JPG
DSC_0160.JPG
DSCN5602.JPG
DSCN5682.JPG
DSCN5600.JPG
DSCN5696.JPG
285145528_3234001556846100_2822308139960959271_n.jpg
DSCN5511_01.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I like to see the 'girls' are helping out !!!
Guy from Ottawa came down bought my sawmill, a 12 hr 'turn and burn'. Mill paid for itself in 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Love that you’re utilizing the downed spruce. I hope that you’re using it for siding, because spruce isn’t a good structural lumber for framing. It’s excellent for siding because it doesn’t warp much.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Love that you’re utilizing the downed spruce. I hope that you’re using it for siding, because spruce isn’t a good structural lumber for framing. It’s excellent for siding because it doesn’t warp much.
Thank you The quote I got from the building supply for dimentional lumber is spruce. When you buy lumber it is often designated SPF which is spruce pine fir. I would walk right past fir to buy spruce and right past spruce to buy pine. IMHO Pine is rare in these parts. Spruce is plentiful.
1654178300125.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
If it weren't for spruce no houses would be built. Spruce makes up about 80% of current dimensional lumber products in Canada.

Reactions: 1 users

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
So I got the quote for my tractor shed with a cement floor. It was more expensive than I expected so I contacted a local engineer I did most of the sketch up drawings and the engineer tweeked them and I am going to put in big foot footings and have my neighbor saw my lumber and have the engineer grade it. A 16x24 10' walls garage quote with a cement floor came in at $24000 CAD no labor. My goal is to build a 20x24 for less than $12000.00 all in with a metal roof.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
excellent use of your trees!!!

I have a log pile being turned into lumber. as long as i built myself and dont hire a contractor i dont need the lumber to be graded. Plan is to fix up my current garage, build my 8x8 deer stand walls and roof (already is on a raised platform). then if i have enough left over i want to build a leanto off the back of my garage to store my implements. all spruce and pine

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If it weren't for spruce no houses would be built. Spruce makes up about 80% of current dimensional lumber products in Canada.
I built my Canada ocean front Summer home frame of locally sourced (Nova Scotia) hemlock.
From 18'- 2 x 12 rafters and 14'-2 x 10 floor joists, all the way through 100's of 2 x 4's.
Hemlock is very heavy when wet, but very strong, either wet or dry.
Grade stamp was not required since no mortgage.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
great use of lumber. our requirement here is over 215.2 sq ft a building permit is required. If I could have figured out how to build a tractor shed that size and actually fit the tractor I would have done it. I thought about 12x16 but the tractor with loader and backhoe is 18' long. The building permit requirement made it necessary to hire an engineer, put in 10 big foot footings, have a letter grading the rough sawn lumber. I have ordered the trusses the soonest they will be done is October -$2000 the steel roof will be $2000 the engineer with the lumber grading will be about 700 -1000 I was fortunate because the engineer was nice enough to let me do my own drawings and that saved quite a bit of billable time. But i will not need to buy OSB or plywood for the ridiculous prices they cost now. 55 dollars for a sheet of OSB -- OSB!!! Now I can use 1x4 strapping for the roof and siding. Garage doors are insane 1800 for a 9x8 so I am going to put in a sliding barn door and build my own 12ft wide. 500.00 for a steel man door so I am shopping used steel man doors now. my goal is 11000 all in but I would be happy with 12000. I sent the building permit in yesterday and as soon as it is approved I will order lumber and start digging holes.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Interesting because it’s not graded as a structural lumber in the US. It’s used for siding, trim and paneling here.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Interesting because it’s not graded as a structural lumber in the US. It’s used for siding, trim and paneling here.
Spruce is.... "not graded as structural lumber in the US".
Really?
SPF is THE MOST COMMON lumber used as structural lumber throughout the US.
SPF is the acronym for Spruce/Pine/Fir.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Spruce is.... "not graded as structural lumber in the US".
Really?
SPF is THE MOST COMMON lumber used as structural lumber throughout the US.
SPF is the acronym for Spruce/Pine/Fir.
The grades are DF for maximum structure, WWM (white wood mix, non-structural), pine, and Spruce (non-structural) or spruce/hemlock (non-structural). As a forester I get the western wood products appraisal sheets quarterly. Laminated products are structural and can use any mix of species because lamination adds structural strength. Just because a wood isn’t labeled as structural doesn’t mean it cannot be used for wall studs, but it cannot be used for floor joists, beams, or trusses.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just because a wood isn’t labeled as structural doesn’t mean it cannot be used for wall studs, but it cannot be used for floor joists, beams, or trusses.
I would like to see a reputable reference backing up that statement.

Not that I really care, BUT I am almost 100 percent certain that the 2x12 floor joists that I used when I built my home with my own hands, are SPF. Now the main beams are Douglas fir, largest is 10x16x24 feet. BUT there was never a restriction as far as floor joists and SPF to my knowledge.

Maybe you live and work in California? IF SO, I guess I get it...LOL

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Not that I really care, BUT I am almost 100 percent certain that the 2x12 floor joists that I used when I built my home with my own hands, are SPF. Now the main beams are Douglas fir, largest is 10x16x24 feet. BUT there was never a restriction as far as floor joists and SPF to my knowledge.

I built a Summer home in Canada 2006-2010 with ungraded local Hemlock, and some ungraded SPF.
ALL framing, was either SPF or Hemlock.
Provincial building inspector never complained.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

I do not live and work in CA. Most building codes call for Douglas fir, pine (in wider widths), or laminated products for structural uses. Those are the grade stamps the commercial sawmills ( with certified WWPA lumber graders) put on dimensional lumber. Keep in mind that WWPA stands for Western Wood Products Association, so maybe standards in the east are different. I do know that from the wood technology classes I took in forestry school that spruce is not a very good product for tensile or shearing strength compared to Douglas fir or pine. Spruce is superior for siding, paneling, and trim because it is warp resistant.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I built a Summer home in Canada 2006-2010 with ungraded local Hemlock, and some ungraded SPF.
ALL framing, was either SPF or Hemlock.
Provincial building inspector never complained.
I did not attempt to speak to building inspection standards in Canada.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
quick update. We have decided to replace an ocean front shed befor new restrictions come into effect. So we have 3 projects on the go we are excavating and pouring a pad for the ocean shed and building a 9x19 foot shed to fall under the building code requirement. We are pouring a slab and moving an 8x8 shed over the top of it and we are building a tractor shed as described above. The building permit has been approved and the rough sawn lumber has been ordered. I have demolished the tractor shed removed the shingles and hauled them to the landfill and burned the remaining shed wood . Excavated for the ocean shed. the back hoe was amazing for this.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Quick update.

Here is the prep work for the slabs and the start of the big foots going in I will cover the gravel on the slabs with foam and a vapor barrier. If you see something wrong please say something. this is my first concrete work

Attachments

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Quick update. the concrete work is done 2 slabs and 11 bigfoot and piers all of the rough lumber for the two buildings and all of the concrete work with rebar grid foam plastic nails screws and labor I am at about 7000.00 and still have the roof trusses and steel roofing and doors and windows to purchase. still hoping to get the two buildings built and the shed moved onto concrete for 11K but it maybe more. Obviously my fork lift skills need some work the 2x4s started out in nice piles and ended up with pick up sticks

Attachments

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have a quick question on roof trusses I am building for the small shed so the span is 9 ft wall to wall and 10 ft overall. I am building the truss in the picture but realized that most of the pics show the top chord passing by the bottom chord and I started and would prefer to leave the bottom chord pass by the top chords. like in this picture. I will use strapping and hurricane braces. the building will have strong wind pressure and some snow. I am using clear plastic panels for a roof. 24 inch trusses with 24" strapping

Attachments