Tractor not being used for 3 weeks

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Mid Missouri is getting drenched in rain so my b2601 will probably be barned for three weeks . Should I start it and let engine warm up every couple of days or just leave it alone. Have owned it for a year but has never been setting for more than a couple of days with out playing, I mean working .My heart tells me to start it but that's probably to make me feel better not the kubota

Jay in Massachusetts

Equipment
BX2670 with mower, loader, snowblower
Dec 25, 2017
Westhampton, MA
I've let tractors sit for weeks and sometimes months at a time, and, if the battery is charged, they will almost invariably start.

There are many stories about old tractors sitting out in the field for YEARS, and with a little fresh fuel and a fresh battery, will start right up (sometimes accompanied by wasp nests blowing out the muffler).

So I would say, probably not at issue for your machine.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
Mine sat from Oct thru to Feb unused, decided to swap the loader on and mower off as we were expecting snow. Little beast hit right off on a 20° day rearing to get out and work. I was impressed.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I wouldn't worry. Probably does more harm starting it and not getting it right up to operating temp.
If anything get a battery tender for it and plug it in.

Mine sits all the time and I don't have a tender on it. No issues at all. And it gets down to minus 40 degrees here.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
No. It won't hurt it to sit for that amount of time. 3 months would be different, but not 3 weeks.
It doesn't hurt the tractor, itself, to sit for long periods without running. What does get hurt is fuel that sits for long periods- keep the tank full so that you don't get sweating/moisture; and keeping the battery charged. You can run it for about 20 minutes or so to charge the battery, or simply put a trickle charger on it. You also want to keep an eye out for rodent nesting.
Otherwise, the tractor doesn't know if it's been a day, or 6 months, since it last ran.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have a Case trencher with a Kubota Diesel engine. It sat on my back lot for 5 years. I put a battery in it and it started. Same fuel and all. I considered it to be a miracle. I don't suggest you try 5 years but 3 weeks should never be a problem. If it makes you more comfortable, start it once in a while. if you don't, your only concern should be a low battery.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Mine will sit for couple months at a time before being started and used.

rut3556

Equipment
L2250, TG1860
Oct 23, 2015
NH, USA
>>I've let tractors sit for weeks and sometimes months at a time, and, if the battery is charged, they will almost invariably start.<<

Yup, same on this end. ;)

quazz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 and Z411
Jan 6, 2014
Rockley, NS
All of my seasonal equipment, mower, chainsaw, motorcycles, trimmers, power washers etc sit for all of the winter months and outside of fuel stablizer and a battery tender (I try to rotate through) everything fires up at it should. Three weeks is nothing. The tractor probably gets more use in winter so it rarely sits that long but I wouldn't think twice about it if it did.