Tractor loses power

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Yeah, working on equipment out in the field while it's snowing is not my idea of fun, either.

If you takes Wolfman's excellent advice to get it back to the shop, you will have verified the pump it working.

91diesel

Equipment
BX23S Homemade hyd toplink and pallet forks, Agriease/Nor-Trac snowblower
Dec 31, 2021
Fairbanks, AK
My BX23s has done similar things and so far I'm pretty convinced it's the fuel tank cap vent....not venting due to being iced up. For some reason, even loosening the cap doesn't 'fix' the stumbling/stalling issue. But, when I pulled the vent apart and made sure it was clear, it seems to have fixed the problem. Still need more time to confirm, because it doesn't always have this issue.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
My BX23s has done similar things and so far I'm pretty convinced it's the fuel tank cap vent....not venting due to being iced up. For some reason, even loosening the cap doesn't 'fix' the stumbling/stalling issue. But, when I pulled the vent apart and made sure it was clear, it seems to have fixed the problem. Still need more time to confirm, because it doesn't always have this issue.
I tried starting without the cap on and no change

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Check your engine oil for strong diesel smell and if it seems like there is more oil in it than should be. Usually, when mechanical driven lift pumps start to fail, they start dumping diesel into the crankcase but not always.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Check your engine oil for strong diesel smell and if it seems like there is more oil in it than should be. Usually, when mechanical driven lift pumps start to fail, they start dumping diesel into the crankcase but not always.
Thanks, another easy check.

91diesel

Equipment
BX23S Homemade hyd toplink and pallet forks, Agriease/Nor-Trac snowblower
Dec 31, 2021
Fairbanks, AK
Yeah, the weird thing with my BX when it does that, is that removing the cap won't 'fix' it. But disconnecting the fuel line from the electric fuel pump, turning on the ignition and making sure the pump works (it'll be pumping out fuel onto the ground). Then hooking the line back up and the tractor acts like nothing is wrong (bran new tractor). If yours has any age on it, I would pull the fuel line first to make sure the lift/electric pump is working. If it is working and pumping fuel out with the ignition on, then maybe putting the line back on will 'fix' the issue like it does with mine. Like I said, I'm fairly convinced it's a tank vent issue. For some reason, it once the problem gets started, it won't 'self correct' with simply taking off the fuel cap. Unfortunately for troubleshooting purposes, I don't run through a tank of fuel every week so that I could verify what's causing this. But cleaning out the tank cap vent definitely kept the tractor from doing that sputtering/stalling thing for a while until it got iced up again (Alaska, so........)

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I posted this in my other thread but I also wanted to post it here to finish it up:
Since it is a balmy 20*F day, I headed out to the tractor to work.
First off, I disconnected the line from the FF to the fuel tank and blew compressed air into the tank.
I heard it bubbling so guessed it was cleared if it had been blocked.
Attempted to start after pumping the primer many times. Still no start.
Then I pulled the line from the FF to the IP at the FF and cranked it and fuel flowed freely from the open port... OK we got fuel at the filter.
I then pump the primer 60 more times and tried a crank and it fired a few times...yesss!
More priming, cranking, popping. After about 4 rounds of this it fired and continued to run...yay
So, perhaps it was something in the tank blocking the outlet.
I guess at some point, if this is the case, it will eventually plug again since it would still be in the tank.
A little compressed air now and then I can manage. Dropping the tank to clean it is not a winter job for me.
I went out and box bladed the drive uphill at full throttle and it did not miss a beat.
Thanks to all for the great advice.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Sounds familiar. I had a leaf do that to me. Sure could use some kind of screen on the filler neck.

(y)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Biomass might cause such a problem. Airborne spores enter the tank as fuel is consumed. Evening cool-downs cause condensation on inner tank-walls…water sinks to the bottom. The spores “bloom” and live in the water….eating the fuel for food…and “poop” biomass that can congeal into “matts” that float around and occasionally clog the system.

Siphon out the fuel…steam clean the interior of the tank… siphon/drain the residue out… and flush with Acetone or Alcohol.…and let dry. Fill with clean fuel …always treated with biocidal additive.

I use Biobor JF (because that’s what was used in the jets I flew and is approved for such fuels.)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So happy to hear you got it going!!

Good for you! (y)