Tractor garages or pole barns...?

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
Ruled out 69, not enough headlights, ruled out '70, no faux vents outboard of the headlights, ruled out 72, no turn signals in the grill, ruled out 73, chrome bumper, so that left a 71. Never thought about a Shelby

My 73

Attachments

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I don't have a pic of when I park my tractor. But I had this built this past summer. 12' x 24' - Steel roofing on the roof and the walls. $3600. , I have my rotary mower- woodmaxx chipper-Toyota corolla-riding lawn mower-bicycles ect stored for the winter. I can't believe I don't have a finished photo of it. But its very basic and keeps the implements under cover summer and winter.

(what the hell....its up side down)http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9073&d=1385247979

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9074&d=1385248279

Theses were from 2013 posts where I made an area under my deck to store my new tractor. Works great for me. Keeps it out of the weather.(I hope the copy/paste thing works)

Attachments

Last edited:

retyred57

Equipment
L3901 HST, Ag tires, LA525 FEL, Landpride 66" boxblade, BE 60" rotary cutter
Aug 3, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I will probably do the same thing next spring, except with a 20' container.

I like the idea of of a 20 ft shipping container (don't think I can get a 40 ft into my bush lot) but make sure you measure the door opening. My tractor with ROPs is 2" too tall for a standard height shipping container. I need a high cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Pole barn, hands down. You can add the pad, power, insulation, radiant heat, etc. later. It took me 8 years to get the PEX I cast in hooked up to a H2O heater,

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Im getting ready to build a 16x32 shed to house a forthcoming pool filter.

Is there any cost or other benefit to building pole? I would think that building pole and then the expense of framing it for insulation and wall material would be more expensive than simply stick building in the first place.

sent from a field

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Eipo even if you plan to build it youself you might be able to get some useful information about relative cost from asking a Morton bldg estimator. We had some discussions about no insulation versus add insulation etc later. Those metal walls suck the heat right out of you.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Yes they do....

I am going the "portable" route to stay off the tax roles. I was just curious if maybe I was missing something if there is any intention of insulating the structure. It seems like more cost to build a pole building and then have to frame it for insulation.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
By framing do you mean more than the vertical 2 x 4's that are already there to nail the steel to? I was staring at mine yesterday ànd wondering about putting styrofoam panels between them and then nailing some plywood panels over the top.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Vertically? Between 2 x 4's and the steel? Having trouble visualizing this, don't think mine are even multiples of 5 ft.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
By framing do you mean more than the vertical 2 x 4's that are already there to nail the steel to? I was staring at mine yesterday ànd wondering about putting styrofoam panels between them and then nailing some plywood panels over the top.
Yes, typical 16" OC framing. I also toyed with rigid panel insulation but it became cost prohibitive considering I also wanted to skin the entire interior with OSB and paint. You'll get more R value per dollar with fiberglass.

The insulation for a metal building is 5' wide and installed as the building goes up, not the narrow rolls.
Yes, unless one wants to "finish" the walls. It also leaves the insulation exposed to possible damage.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
And thats what I am wondering... Is there a way that I am missing?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
In a pole barn there are NOT vertical studs, the only vertical member are the poles that extend into the ground and to the top of the vertical wall. The exterior sheet metal attaches to horizontal purlins spaced about 3 feet apart.

The benefits are no foundation is required, you can raise the floor off the dirt like a deck if needed and less materials than stick frame.

You can insulate them if you want with wide rolls of insulation, usually held in place with a mesh like chicken wire. If you want you can add horizontal purlins inside and finish the interior with sheet rock or plywood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
In my opinion, and in this climate, pole barns have there place. Not doubt. I would never build one onto my house (my dad did and 30 years later had to cut in a foundation because the pole rotted off.). I've seen people insulate them with spray foam. Just spray the underside of the steel, purlins, girts, and poles. Something I would never to. NOW. We have designed a few buildings that were pole buildings, but they had full footings/foundations. Poles sat on the foundation. It is still cheaper than traditional stick framed, but not the short comings of a pole barn.

While I'm a big fan of spray foam, I haven't had the opportunity to experiment with spraying the back side of Tyvek wrap. That would allow the exterior panels to be replace if necessary and not develop condensation on the bottom side to rust.