Tractor Disasters and Owner Abuse

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
The whole purpose of having 4WD is to enable you to 'reasonably' go places you could not traverse in 2WD. Not as a safety/rescue measure for using 2WD only.

Learn the capabilities of your 4WD, drive judiciously....and you'll avoid becoming stuck the majority of the time.
Huh, I thought 4wd was to get you places you really shouldn't be, and then having recovery equipment on hand was to get you back out when you got stuck... :ROFLMAO:
Hmm, wonder how hard a receiver winch install would be on my little BX... Probably easier than the alternator and battery upgrade, but Curtis sells a bolt-on, high-amp alternator kit for this tractor for the cab A/C units.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Huh, I thought 4wd was to get you places you really shouldn't be, and then having recovery equipment on hand was to get you back out when you got stuck... :ROFLMAO:
Well it can work that way too. ;)

Often times depending on the ability of the operator to make 'good judgments'.

I have certainly been stuck in some of my 4WD drive vehicles over the years. But in those 50+ years I can honestly say it was probably less than a dozen times.

I have a Brother in Law however that can (and does) bury his truck, tractor, 4 wheeler almost daily. But I think he also gets up each morning and eats a big bowl of 'stupid'.

There are two camps on the subject. Those who will only use 2WD until things get sketchy....and THEN engage 4WD to get out. Those who engage 4WD BEFORE you need it and then continue on judiciously.

Its a free country. Everyone pick which one works best for you. (y)

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
The whole purpose of having 4WD is to enable you to 'reasonably' go places you could not traverse in 2WD. Not as a safety/rescue measure for using 2WD only.

Learn the capabilities of your 4WD, drive judiciously....and you'll avoid becoming stuck the majority of the time.
According to what my brother told me while we were digging my recently acquired 4wd Blazer out 20 miles from civilization "all this ^&@# thing is good for is getting us farther from help before becoming stuck".

• Haha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
According to what my brother told me while we were digging my recently acquired 4wd Blazer out 20 miles from civilization "all this ^&@# thing is good for is getting us farther from help before becoming stuck".
All of my vehicles are 4WD and all are equipped for 'Self Recovery' (save for the most extreme circumstances).

While it is certainly true 4WD (in most forms) can take you farther from 'help' than 2WD will, I still view 4WD as something beneficial.

Of course... it is incumbent upon the operator to know the reasonable limits of the machine and driver.

That said, things happen....and sometimes you'll get stuck.

Since you know that might happen many miles from 'help' it is wise to equip yourself with some self recovery gear.

And what do 'Brothers' know anyway. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Our place has too many hills and grades, 4wd is always on, on the tractors.
Wife's ride is AWD so yes always in 4wd.
Truck pretty much goes into 4wd when the snow flies and stays that way for most of the winter.
Yes if the roads are clear I'll kick it off, but for us that's a rarity over the winter.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Our place has too many hills and grades, 4wd is always on, on the tractors.
Wife's ride is AWD so yes always in 4wd.
Truck pretty much goes into 4wd when the snow flies and stays that way for most of the winter.
Yes if the roads are clear I'll kick it off, but for us that's a rarity over the winter.
went to my deer woods a couple weeks ago, i knew we had to ride through some deep mud, i locked my b2100 into 4wd before we left camping area. why ?..simple...i did not want to step down off the tractor into 3ft of mud to get pulled out, needless to say..i did not get stuck..lol.

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
I know the feeling. It took a feat of will just facing the ditch, looking at where I was about to go!! If I decide to do it again, I'll try to take a video to show that I'm not BSing!
There is a fine line between BXing and BSing, and based on the pics here, some tractors have stumbled right over it!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Here's two of mine, not orange, but blue can get in trouble to.
First, while grading a trail for a neighbor using a box blade 2 feet wider than than width of wheels. Snagged a stump or rock, pulled me around. Couldn't back up, couldn't go forward, it was steep downhill full of trees. Took a dozer to get me out.
Second was and incident while shredding. Have no idea how it happened and have no memory of it happening. I think a large limb kicked up, came up over the tire did damage to me and bent the steering wheel down. Spent 4 days in a trauma center with multiple injures.
Chit can happen fast.
Trac.JPEG
Trac2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users