Tractor cleaning?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've not washed mine yet. Big clods of mud will knock right off once dried. I hand clean around the zerks with a rag before lubing. Are tractors supposed to be clean?? ;)

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I've not washed mine yet. Big clods of mud will knock right off once dried. I hand clean around the zerks with a rag before lubing. Are tractors supposed to be clean?? ;)
most of the time my tractor will sit dirty. Once or twice a year I will clean it really well. This makes any maintenance on it a lot easier. I also clean all the zerks after greasing, I hate it when I find the left over grease with my hands.

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
At least in my case, I am spending about 1.5 hours (approximately 45 minutes every 6 months) a year washing/waxing my tractor. I consider that a reasonable effort to expend for an expensive piece of equipment.

Using a leaf blower (or compressed air) to clean off and out chaff as needed (more than 1.5 hours a year) is required for good operation and fire safety.

Reactions: 3 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
For my cars, I installed a DI (de-ionized water) rinse system. My well water makes some nasty water spots unless it is towel dried immediately, the DI water rinse reduces the water spots. I'll probably use it on the tractor and other equipment since it is right there ready for use. Since it is expensive to change out the media, I do it quickly and only use it for the final rinse.

Systm
do you think a system like that could be installed right at my well pump? and do the entire house? my work computer blocks amazon so the link wont work.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
At least in my case, I am spending about 1.5 hours (approximately 45 minutes every 6 months) a year washing/waxing my tractor. I consider that a reasonable effort to expend for an expensive piece of equipment.

Using a leaf blower (or compressed air) to clean off and out chaff as needed (more than 1.5 hours a year) is required for good operation and fire safety.
This is basically what I do. Wash a couple times a year, spray wax once a year, leaf blower to blow the loose crap off and or just the water hose for the slightly more stubborn stuff. Having it waxed really helps the debris slide right off. Actually, as I think about it I probably wax my hood numerous times a year. If I use a fuel cam to add fuel there’s no way I’m not getting some on the hood, so then I’ll go ahead and wash and wax it again.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Pressure washers are good, but they'll blast off decals and all. I'd just spritz on some Simple Green or Purple and let sit and then wash with a water hose. Pressure washers are too high pressure for the gasketry and all and those decals.

Used to clean dirty engines by wetting and then sprinkling powder Tide over the wet surfaces and let sit and hose off. Lot safer than using gasoline.
All that pressure washers really need is a common sense, informed user/operator.
I have pressure washed may items without removing any paint, though paint CAN be removed with a pressure washer.
Car washes are all pressure washing systems!

Reactions: 1 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
do you think a system like that could be installed right at my well pump? and do the entire house? my work computer blocks amazon so the link wont work.
To do a whole house system you would need to talk to a company that provides that kind of large scale equipment. The small, inexpensive system that I linked to is best used for treating water for a quick rinse.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
This is basically what I do. Wash a couple times a year, spray wax once a year, leaf blower to blow the loose crap off and or just the water hose for the slightly more stubborn stuff. Having it waxed really helps the debris slide right off. Actually, as I think about it I probably wax my hood numerous times a year. If I use a fuel cam to add fuel there’s no way I’m not getting some on the hood, so then I’ll go ahead and wash and wax it again.
Use the liquid car wash soap with wax included.

D

Deleted member 47704

I wash my tractor every time it rains.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Since Dad used it on the ‘57 Chrysler…(actually he used kerosene)…. I’ve used this method for washing cars, boats, airplanes, etc.

Buy WD40 in gallon cans. (Smells better than kero and mixes better with water.) Pour 2 or 3 cups of it into a 5-gal bucket and forcefully (garden-hose-nozzle) add 3 or 4 gals water. This makes an emulsion to use instead of soap for washing the vehicle.

Hose-off the vehicle with plain water, then using a dedicated cotton mop…or sponge…or brush ..(whatever is your favorite)… use the emulsion instead of soap to wash the vehicle.

Then rinse-off with the hose all over the vehicle. No need to “dry”…but using an old towel… wipe-down the vehicle. (The towel will become damp…that’s OK…use it like a chamois.)

The vehicle will be clean and if it gets any water on it (rain, etc) the water will BEAD-UP as if it has been waxed.

Meanwhile, all the rubber weatherstipping, window-seals, door-hinges and latches, hood-hinges/mechanisms…etc etc….. have been LUBRICATED and all squeaks have disappeared.

People ask me….”How often do you polish that thing?”
and my answer is… “I’ve owned it 22 years and never polished it. It was last polished by its’ former owner in 1997.”

D44F0E80-6FD7-466F-8224-350938AB6433.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Since Dad used it on the ‘57 Chrysler…(actually he used kerosene)…. I’ve used this method for washing cars, boats, airplanes, etc.

Buy WD40 in gallon cans. (Smells better than kero and mixes better with water.) Pour 2 or 3 cups of it into a 5-gal bucket and forcefully (garden-hose-nozzle) add 3 or 4 gals water. This makes an emulsion to use instead of soap for washing the vehicle.
AGREED!!

Yes - WD40 is a solvent. It is GREAT at removing stubborn grease. WD40 is excellent for cleaning/fixing failing electrical switches. As a bonus, The surfaces are left with a rust-inhibiting, waterproof, protective coating.

Infact, WD40 == Water Displacer (formula number 40)
Originally developed for the military... then sold as a commercial product. Now owned by a large conglomerate company. Even today, the formula is considered proprietary.

With that said, the environmental impact should be considered and compared to alternatives.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
To do a whole house system you would need to talk to a company that provides that kind of large scale equipment. The small, inexpensive system that I linked to is best used for treating water for a quick rinse.
k thanks! might just buy one and toss it on the line going to the outside tap!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I know of a fuel dealer that used to wash the fuel delivery trucks with diesel fuel and water mix with a drop of Dawn dishwashing soap in the bucket. Slosh that all around, and then hose it off. His trucks never showed any signs of rust and always looked clean. Today they wouldn't dare use diesel fuel and water to wash a truck, since the environmental police would be all over them for it if they got caught. No question that it works.
As for the WD 40 secret formula, I was told that it is fish oil-based. Can't prove or disprove it, but it does work as advertised. Just isn't the best penetrant product out there today.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Can't prove or disprove it, but it does work as advertised. Just isn't the best penetrant product out there today.

It works for displacing water. As a penetrant, it's pathetically bad.

Fish oil? Nope. Not a bit of it. When you hear things like that, take a moment to look up the MSDS. They are available online these days, and they will tell the story. Here's the MSDS for WD-40.

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon
Petroleum Base Oil
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

Hose-off the vehicle with plain water, then using a dedicated cotton mop…or sponge…or brush ..(whatever is your favorite)… use the emulsion instead of soap to wash the vehicle.

Then rinse-off with the hose all over the vehicle. No need to “dry”…but using an old towel… wipe-down the vehicle. (The towel will become damp…that’s OK…use it like a chamois.)

The vehicle will be clean and if it gets any water on it (rain, etc) the water will BEAD-UP as if it has been waxed.

Meanwhile, all the rubber weatherstipping, window-seals, door-hinges and latches, hood-hinges/mechanisms…etc etc….. have been LUBRICATED and all squeaks have disappeared.

People ask me….”How often do you polish that thing?”
and my answer is… “I’ve owned it 22 years and never polished it. It was last polished by its’ former owner in 1997.”

View attachment 73986
Have you tried this on your Kubota? Does it remove decals or affect rubber/plastic?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Have you tried this on your Kubota? Does it remove decals or affect rubber/plastic?
Yes,……“all the rubber weatherstipping, window-seals, door-hinges and latches, hood-hinges/mechanisms…etc etc….. have been LUBRICATED and all squeaks have disappeared.”

All my decals are in excellent condition since 1996 mfr) except the one on top of the left fender which explains ground-speed vs gear-selection…. which is worn/faded a “little-bit” primarily due to abrasion/sun because of its’ location. (it gets tools/stuff/brush/etc scrubbed-across it).