TOTAL NEWBIE looking at B6100

glenn10

Apr 12, 2011
boundary creek nb. canada
Hey guys I'm new to the tractor world and looking to break some ground with a single furrow plow that I have.The plow came off a 10hp massey harris pony tractor(quite big for a 10hp).Anyways just wondering what all your opinions are on this 1987 B6100 that I found on kijiji.This is what I know about it from speaking to the seller, it has dual rear wheels,1100hrs on the clock,has had the front wheels reinforced with welded circular steel plates as the wheels bent from lifting too much in the bucket.He is the second owner of the machine and had 650hrs when he bought it, and has always been outside in the elements. It comes with a tiller ,front end loader and bush hog which aren't pictured.So will this little machine handle plowing new soil and is it worth $5500-$6000.I'm not afraid of repainting and wrenching on it as I have worked on lots of automotive/motorcycles/welding and fabrication my whole life.It is a very long drive (8hrs round trip)so if it is a bust it will really suck!If you want to look at it go on kijiji Nova Scotia(search whole province) and search kubota tractor and it should come up(he has it listed as a 16hp for $6000.00).
thanks for any advice you can offer Glenn

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If he's had to weld new metal to the front tires because they were bent all to shit then it sounds like its been used and abused hard to me. And I've never heard of a little B6100 having dual tires on the rear. Sounds like he built a brick shit house to do more then the tractor is capeable of doing. I'd use alot of caution here!

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Duals will make plowing difficult as the right rear wheel aligns you to make parallel furrows when you drop it in the previous furrow made. with duals a unplowed strip the width of the wheel would be between the furrows.

just my opinion, although I think they really look cool!

kytim

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Hi Glenn. I live in Riverview & have a 1980 B7100 I bought in Nov. & been working on it & using it all winter plowing & blowing snow. Got it cheap from a buddy who owned it for 20 yrs., neglected it for the last 3 or 4 & left it sitting outdoors for a year after he bought a newer Kioti. Mine looks as rough as the one in NS (I have no loader) but works like a new one! If the NS tractor works half decent (& has suffered no structural damage from whatever buddy was doing with the loader & the rear duals) it is sure worth what he is asking with the impliments. Too bad you didn't have someone near him to do some preliminary scouting for you.
Did you (in a previous life!) own a Honda XR500 with a set of bull horns up front (Turkey Run) & dish out CR250 parts to young motocrossers?

Ken Pike pike@nb.sympatico.ca
386-8320 home
381-9695 cell

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
That price sounds high to me, but I would imagine that prices are different in Canada. I bought a really clean, one owner B7100 HST with a nice Woods finish mower for $3000, in comparison.
Even if the price is ok, no way would I make a hard commitment without looking it over real well. It certainly sounds like the tractor has been worked to the limit. If he bent the front rims, you need to expect other issues that will need to be addressed.
Which brings up the next point- how available are parts to you, and at what cost? You will probably need stuff.
Mark

ps- there are some good videos on youtube- you should be able to watch and see first hand what a 6100 will handle.

glenn10

Apr 12, 2011
Hey Ken, your name is very familiar to me but I suspect you are thinking of Glenn Mclaughlin who just so happens to live about 7kms down the road.I do ride a honda xl600 supermotarded though.If you look a little closer to the grainy pics you can see some heavy rust indicative to the environment in which it was used.After speaking to the seller again ,I found out that he is a fisherman and may have used it in or around the fish plant.So i'm a little put off and think I may not even bother burning the fuel to look at it,the welded front rims have me wondering how much strain was put on the axles.

hodge I checked out some vids on youtube of some b6000's plowing and looks like they do fairly well.My question is could they pull off the same thing in brand new never been plowed sod?I'm really starting to think I should just go and finance a brand new one and have warranty and peace of mind instead of paying 5 to 6 grand on a unit 25-30 years old. My next question is, can you get a new style units with the skinny agricultural tires which may be better for plowing?

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Did he tell you the front wheels were bent or did you see them as bent? If he did not or they were not, are you sure the steel is not being used as homemade wheel weights? just a thought that ran through my empty head, in other words, no stop signs. garbage in garbage out....

By all means, look the tractor over. It could be better than you think, or worst.

kytim

Piker

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Morning Glenn10. A couple of weeks ago was out for a drive & browsed the lot of used tractors at the Kubota dealer in Amherst. They have an older L series (don't know the model #) with a front loader. It is somewhat bigger than my B7100 but smaller than my '47 Ford 8N. Meant to call for a price but forgot about it. A lot shorter drive to have a look.

glenn10

Apr 12, 2011
Kytim,when I spoke to the seller he said that he bent the rims trying to pick someying up that was too heavy.from the looks of things they didn't bother putting any paint on the finished repair which leads me to wonder how much care was taken in the actual repair.If I repair something I take a little pride in the end result and make it look as nice as I can by masking off really well,prepping the surfaces and then doing a good paint job.
Piker ,I did look at the one in Amherst.It is a 1985 L235 with 3300hrs on the clock.They want $8500.00 for it and if they out fit it with a tiller it will be an additional $2000 -$2500.That is almost half the price of a new one,like I said I am really leaning towards buying a new L series.I just can't see myself burning any more fuel looking at these beaten up old units with a so called "5 gallon overhaul", no masking required!Just hit the whole thing with a few cans of orange(any color for that matter) and it automatically increases the value by $2000!

Piker

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Last edited:

glenn10

Apr 12, 2011
I checked out your photos and that is a really neat set up you have there Piker.I picked up the plow from a fellow in Amherst a while back for a good price so thinking about the future I grabbed it even though I don't own a tractor! I think the B series is just too small for what I want to use it for eg. pulling stumps, plowing new ground.I have a section I want to clear of 2 to 3 inch trees and I don't think the B series has enough weight to them to jerk trees out of the ground and that's why I'm looking at the bigger L series which I feel would have the weight yet still small enough to be manageable around the yard.Anyone have some video of a B series pulling stumps or trees?

Piker

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Hi Glenn, Just got back in town from opening our cottage (moving in 2 weeks, until after Thanksgiving). Used the Ford 8N & an old Ferguson 3 point, 6.5 ft. disc harrow to break up sod in my garden that I plowed up last Fall. Then I used my B7100 to run through it with a middle buster (sub-soiler, potato plow, whatever) that I welded up this Winter - also worked great. Then I hooked up an old set of horse-drawn hoes/hillers I modified to work on the 3 point hitch on the Kubota (not planting any time soon, just playing). Also worked great & the B7100 is the perfect width for rows in the garden. Lots of power for such a small tractor. You're probably right about the B series being a bit small & light weight for what you want to do.
Saw a used Kubota with a loader at Bremner's when I picked up some gaskets this morning. At least an L series if not larger. Too wet to stop & look.

Last edited: