85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Do they really worK?
I tried to use my BX without one.......ok worked fine, then I bought a piranha tooth bar, the usefulness went up 3 fold!!!

I promise you - it is worth every penny !!!! Work your bucket a while digging.......without

then get the bar - then decide!:)

Difference is NIGHT and DAY:);)

Some of the best money spent on a tractor - other than lights, chains, ballast and spacers! Then again - I might rank it #1:)

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
I'm in rocky ground,, and cant do without-it, You will not be disappointed, And,,, you don't have to work the machine as hard,
Also makes things a hole lot easer to pick-up.........................WIN-WIN;)

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Don't know what soil you have out west, but in Utopia I have unborn limestone AKA caliche. It's the only way to get it with a FEL.
What I saw in Big Bend is similar to what I have.

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
Well that round of applause just got me off the fence. I'm in and will be ordering tomorrow......
along with some undercarriage protection!

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Do they help as much on bigger tractors? Was contemplating having one made for my MX5100. Any thoughts? I can have the PTB custom made for it.

Doc

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
I also have the MX5100, Used it for about a year without it, And my tires paid the price, (cut's from slipping).. digging out pond & cleaning gravel from the creek. (wet & slick) Put the teeth on, and its night and day diff, (on the good side)... Picking up Log's/brush or large rock's, run the teeth under and flip them up, The only time I run into wanting the smooth edge back is when I'm back dragging in float. (no teeth marks)
But,, two bolts and its off...............I think you will be happy with one... like was said, try it for a wile without.

phantomgeo

Equipment
bx2200
Oct 1, 2013
Out there some where
I built one myself to do work on my land. It is awesome!
Well worth the time to make it.

Not a very good pic. This was when I was making the little brackets to hold onto edge of bucket.

When I was done adding the brackets and putting bolt through side of bucket for end brackets I painted it orange. (Just be careful to not walk into it!)

Cost for metal ....about $40 Took two days to cut metal and weld it up. Another day to paint. All was a fun project. I think the results were pretty decent.

Last edited:

Dad03

Equipment
L3200HST
Sep 17, 2011
Columbia, TN
How thick is the steel on the ones you guys have DIY or store bought.
I have some 3/8" flat bar laying around I may put to good use.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The piranha is 1/2 thick, and it is very well made. The 3/8 with the right "pieces" would work very well too!:)

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
If that's for the L3200 in your profile, and assuming it's mild steel (usually safe if not otherwise specified), I suspect it wouldn't last long at all if used for the normal purpose. 3/8" mild steel isn't really hard to bend. It might work on a BX or a small B, but 1/2 AR400 or better would be my guess at a bare minimum for a copy of the Piranha on a tractor of that size. Or make one like I have that uses forged teeth mounted on fingers mounted to a base plate along with standard cutting edge.

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I put a PTB on my L3800. I use it to dig out ditches that have filled in and use the dirt to backfill mud holes. It works great at clearing brush too. I'm a new tractor owner and it definitely take some practice digging with it. If I go slow I can usually get a full scoop.