toothbar= implement of DESTRUCTION!!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
got the toothbar on as recommended by you guys...

havent gotten to use it a lot yet, just a little playing here & there.

HOLY CRAP!! you can absolutely mangle stuff with this thing!

can tell right away that making trails through the brush is going to be a whole lot faster with this baby.

so now its time for me to get tips & tricks on how to better use it!

when going thru brush/scrub/briars: do you guys go at ground level?

or do you hold up a few inches?

which way seems to get the best/faster results?

are you after tearing the stuff into? or uprooting it?

this should be a lot of fun this fall/winter clearing that next set of trails!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Glad you are having fun! Would say - "told you so" but the truth is in the ......testing!:D:)

Your experimentations will tell YOU what the secrets are to it however. Most of us have tried things that worked or did not work well.

One thing I will tell you - if pushing on a "tree-sapling" - try to catch it in the middle "tooth" when pushing. I would avoid any heavy contacts with the outer portion of the tooth bar......simple because you can create havoc with the FEL and bend something you might regret!:D:)

And to answer one thought - sometimes it is easier to use the bucket CURL feature when taking out small saplings. Take the tooth bar at 90 degrees to ground, yup stand it up and allow the teeth to go into the ground as far as possible, wiggle the FEL to make it go down further, then curl the bucket! This will (when it works) pop the entire root ball up, and you are less likely to push the tractor over the root ball too.;)

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
A lot of your technique depends on the ground you have and how the trees and brush grows. Here, the pine trees roots spread out across the surface, so when I'm thinning an area or clearing a trail of saplings, I keep the toothbar about 2' off the ground, push the teeth right into the tree, and as I move forward, curl up. It plucks the saplings right out of the ground, roots and all.
A lot of the brush I can run the blade, parallel right at ground level, and scrape them off at the ground.
Much depends on soil conditions and types of brush

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
now we are getting the type of tips im after!

my typical stuff here is gonna be briar bushes & scrub.

ground here in southern ohio is HARD with lots of clay, but my woods are just so overgrown that its not even funny.

this is gonna take a lot of the handwork we did last year out of it for sure!

5' on the toothbar making the path & then i run the 42" hog.... should make a nice path!

any real tree's in the way we try to go around, the saplings & small stuff we will just push out or hog 'em.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
made a test run down over the hill thru the briars while the wife was at the store..

she said i had about half an hour to play...

holy crap! it would have taken me all day when i was young & healthy to do what i did in less than 30 minutes with it!

now by no means do i have the "hang" of it yet. i just gouged & butchered some uneven down hill brush & scrub.

gonna need more practice & definitely a long sleeve shirt & gloves next time.

VERY IMPRESSED with how much of a difference this makes on the edge of that bucket!

oh & the loaded tires DID make a huge difference that i noticed right away. you wouldnt think 350lbs would make that much difference.. but it does.

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Just another question - would any of you take the tooth bar off to work with gravel - moving, dumping, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just another question - would any of you take the tooth bar off to work with gravel - moving, dumping, etc.?

Never have, never will.

I cover it when blading snow however

Attachments

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Thanks Hokie! You are always full of great advice so I will carry on this weekend with completing my barn build!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio

ok.. guess im gonna have to ad this for scraping my concrete...

trying to pull the gravel back off the concrete in reverse didnt work so good.

it did fine IN gravel just backdragging. BUT draggin the gravel back UP hill on my concrete to the gravel section didnt work so great.

then again its only 2 bolts to take it off.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I'm up the road in Central OH so I can relate to the clay and scrub. I have issues with field olives. Prior to the tooth bar, I would push them over with the bucket and hope the brush hog did not get bogged down. Now I come in to them about a foot off the ground and the tooth bar will pull them out of the ground. I love it. I do have to watch back in the woods where rubbing a sapling would just barely scrap the bark or push it away without the bar, now strips it or uproots it.

I don't have any concrete and what little work I have done on my driveway has been good. Now I just need to get my rear tires loaded so I can get my B3200 digging better.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
I'm up the road in Central OH so I can relate to the clay and scrub. I have issues with field olives. Prior to the tooth bar, I would push them over with the bucket and hope the brush hog did not get bogged down. Now I come in to them about a foot off the ground and the tooth bar will pull them out of the ground. I love it. I do have to watch back in the woods where rubbing a sapling would just barely scrap the bark or push it away without the bar, now strips it or uproots it.

I don't have any concrete and what little work I have done on my driveway has been good. Now I just need to get my rear tires loaded so I can get my B3200 digging better.
Hello fellow Buckeye! you are about 2hrs NW of me! beautiful land up that way!

field olives? dont think we got those here at my place unless thats a slang name for something else... fill me in!

the guys on this site are super helpful & have never steered me wrong!

they talked me into the toothbar & the loaded tires... huge difference on the machine.

mine is a little smaller than your 3200... but i bet you like the difference too!

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Loading your tires won't hurt but any loader work should be paired with an appropriate rear ballast. Loading the tires won't take any weight off of the front end or improve the steering with a load.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
got some more play time with the toothbar last nite...

in just a matter of a few minutes cleared out an ugly patch that had been full of briars & scrub...

getting better with setting a height that works on the uneven ground & learning better stick control of moving it around.

STILL needs lots of practice & will get it.. but last nite went really well.

had the hog on the back & ripped up the bulk, then hogged over the leftovers.

next spot was the fence line & its on a fairly steep angle so had to go at it from the front & used the toothbar to drop down on top of the mess & drag it backwards away from the fence.

this is where i got my practice on using the teeth as a rake! NICE!! never left the seat & cleaned up about 2 pickup trucks worth of scrub in another 15 mins or so.. then hogged up the base of it as best as the land would allow.

NEXT spot before dark was down the new trail that we cut last week, just ran over all of that & hogged my way down it & then back up a couple of times.

this is where i jumped all the deer up.

honestly feel that verses what we did by hand last year (4 of us working 2 entire weekends..) this thing has already paid for itself in less than 2 full hours of use!

now THAT makes it a good implement to ad on!

thanks to all of you guys here who pushed me to get this!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
finally got back out on the trail making today!

wife had to work so had the day to play here in the cold.

threw on my clothes & headed out into the scrub.

still getting better with the toothbar & made about 600yds of windy up & down trails today.

took out lots of small trees & absolutely had briar bushes fearing the little kubota's approach.

just friggin awesome stuff! trail is about 5' wide & in some places i ran a bit wild & made some turn arounds & such.

then bush hogged it all & took the little dog on a walk to let her inspect it.
old girl ran around on that new trail like she was a puppy!

inside getting warm & food now.

next time: OTHER SIDE of the property! gonna do about a 1/4 mile on that side.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Sounds familiar, but in my case it was trails through our bush for my youngest grandson and his Power Wheels electric 4-wheeler. :)

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA

Haven't needed a toothbar for the current tractor, but I made this one for my last tractor. I had a load of large ballast rock dumped and had to take it to its final spot with the loader. It didn't take me too long to get a wrench and unbolt the bar. When trying to fill the bucket, rocks kept getting stuck between the teeth and wouldn't let me scoop into the pile.

It was great most of the time. the teeth stuck out enough to help hold tree trimmings. Of course it did come off for snow removal:D

Attachments

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
video of this project wouldnt work so good because of the length of trails...

gonna grab some pix of the finish look today when we are out & ad them in.

but i will try to get some before & after shots on this next section so you guys can see how awesome this thing really is.

& remember im doing this with a B2601, not a big boy tractor. :D

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Re: toothbar= implement of DESTRUCTION!!(pix)

since i didnt take a before & after pic of the other trails..

here is the after on part of the one from saturday.

picture #2 is where im headed next between those to big green ones.

as you can see this stuff is seriously overgrown with thousands of small diameter trees & lots of scrub. the rest has looked just like this.

now will get you some finish pix to go with this shot once i get to that side over Turkey day break!

Attachments

tsilliker

Equipment
BX25TLB, Land Pride rotary tiller, box blade
Nov 13, 2017
Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada
The toothbar coupled with the BXpanded ripper tooth should work amazing for some brush/saplings I want to clear. Any have any experience with this combo?

-Thane-