Tools Used

tnfarm88

Equipment
m4d-071
Jun 10, 2023
Tennessee
For those that use their tractor away from their shop/house.
1. What would you consider some must have tools on the truck for field repair. Tractor is M4-071 for me.
2. Specific brands better than others? (not crazy expensive though.)
3. Anyone carry gas powered air compressor or generator and electric? (for cleaning radiators etc)

Thanks for the info.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Depends on how much service you want to do in the field.

Obviously your tractor is going to be metric, although a loader or other implement, if equipped, could be SAE.

Should check if applicable.

While my little tractor is not comparable, I get most fasteners with 22mm and less. I have a few 30mm and up, but only do those for specific needs (e.g., mower needs 30).

Sockets at 1/4” through 3/4” drive are your choice. Recent thread showed many are using cordless impacts with good results.

I might want a torque wrench.

Compressed air is often handy if haying or dusty conditions to blow out radiators, A/C evaporator, etc.

DEFINITELY have both metric and SAE pliers and Crescent wrenches….. Just poking fun…😉😉

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
A tow strap to bring the tractor to the garage/shop as it is nicer working in the shade.

Reactions: 3 users

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
Problem is, you never know what is going to break, so you don't know what you are going to need. I will say this, when I go to my offroad racing events, I bring darn near my entire shop with me. 3 pack-out tool boxes of tools. About the only thing I don't bring is my welder, because it plugs into the wall, and I have no power out there. Luckily, I have a friend at the races that has a diesel Miller.

Reactions: 1 user

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
3. Anyone carry gas powered air compressor or generator and electric? (for cleaning radiators etc)
I carry a 20v leaf blower when brush hogging

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Here's a couple of thoughts in addition to the other things mentioned:
Hydraulic hose caps and plugs
(maybe even a coiled hose)
Crescent wrench (2 - one to hold, one to turn)
Radiator clamps - various sizes on the machine
Wire ties
Screwdriver (flat and Phillips)
Cheap socket set (in case you lose some sockets)
Hammer
Magnet (for those lost sockets)
Look over the machine and see if the tools you choose are worthy.

Hmmm, kind of depends on how well maintained your machine is...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
A fully charged phone with phone number of your 'tractor towing company' in it !
Murphy's law says no matter how many tools and parts I take with me, I won't have the one itty,bitty part or tool I NEED. Having tow company on 'speed dial' ensures your tractor won't breakdown....

Reactions: 1 users

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Im with Greensvalle Your going somewhere to do work "with" the tractor not work on the it. Do your home work befor you go, IE Preventive Maintenance , Services & a good inspection before you go. My Two cents.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Im with Greensvalle Your going somewhere to do work "with" the tractor not work on the it. Do your home work befor you go, IE Preventive Maintenance , Services & a good inspection before you go. My Two cents.
Well... The rear axle on my M4500 broke two weeks ago without warning, down the road in the neighbors hay field of course. There was no warning, no indication of trouble and no amount of preventative maintenance or inspection would have revealed the problem.
Things break. I think the op's original question is what should you have on hand for when they do.
Good 1/2 drive metric socket set with a long breaker bar, decent set of metric wrenches, set of drift punches & hammer, locking pliers and a couple good adjustable wrenches will go a long way. A decent hydraulic jack and cribbing/blocking material will get used more often than you think. As previously mentioned you'll want to pick up a few sockets bigger than what comes with most sets.
An electric impact and the portable generator made the rear axle/final drive tear down and replacement in the middle of the hay field last week much quicker but wouldn't have been absolutely necessary.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
For those that use their tractor away from their shop/house.
1. What would you consider some must have tools on the truck for field repair. Tractor is M4-071 for me.
2. Specific brands better than others? (not crazy expensive though.)

Thanks for the info.
Good day…do you mean with me (included with tow vehicle) or do mean just the machine itself? IMO the best thing you can do is preventative maintenance versus bringing the shop with you. Stay on top of it to minimize in field failures.

I have two properties 4 hours apart…it’s a challenge for sure. I’d recommend:
1. Take what you need to do a tire change on a trailer.
2. Beyond your chains and straps, I keep an air compressor that runs off a battery and a tire repair kit, hi lift jack and basic recovery gear and high quality first aid kit / fire extinguisher…it’s really more for the tow vehicle. (typically the truck). And always, always, always, no matter what keep an emergency supply of your preferred thinking juice.
I keep a decent tool kit in the vehicle
3. On the tractor itself, I keep some extra clevises, extra cotter pins and a large and small crescent wrench / screwdriver / and some lifting straps.
4.I typically have a leaf blower to clean the screen / grill and a grease gun at the truck.
5. I usually have two GSDs which add comic relief and personalized protection of my stuff…make sure to have plenty of water and shade for the security detail.

If I am not at my residence, Generally aside from something loose, it’s a walk back to truck, barn or neighbor’s no matter how I slice it. And first stop is to sample the thinking juice.😉

Last edited:

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Personally I have a cross toolbox in my pickup that has a fair assortment of tools. Sockets, combo wrenches, hammers, punches, miscellaneous wiring tools and some miscellaneous "junk" parts. A leaf blower would be nice for cleaning plugged radiators. As a person who grew up on the farm we would sometimes be miles from home with equipment. No cell phones back then and a good walk to a neighbors house if you couldn't get it moving with what you had. A couple of crescent wrenches, channel lock, hammer. punch and some miscellaneous bolts. Also some baling wire was important. Back then tractors had a tool box added that you could put stuff in. There was always a grease gun in the works. Also most guys had a pliers and pocket knife on them. You needed some imagination sometimes.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You can't beat the Snap-On guarantee. My 55-year-old coil spring compressor shattered a thrust washer. Called to get a replacement part and was told that I should send it back for replacement. They sent me a return label, and 10 days later I had a new one in the box on the porch when I came home. Actually, I don't know for certain if it is new or if they did a complete restoration of the tool. It does have the old Snap-On logo on it. That is the only reason that I am not certain if it is new or reconditioned. It doesn't get used very often, but when I need to remove a coil spring, it is the safest way to do the job. Today after doing a 4-wheel brake job, I realized that I am too old to continue to do all my own work on the old cars. Time to thin the herd.

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
My farm is an hour away from my home and my work schedule is pretty hectic so I try to limit down time risk which may or may not work and pack as much as reasonable.

I put an larger tool box on my tractor to hold more supplies, in the on tractor tool box I have:
all sizes of wrenches and sockets that match the tractor/loader and implement needs- if they'll fit
spare fuel line
hose clamps
screw drivers
pliers/needle nose
channel locks
gloves
zip ties
3 pt linkage parts/pins
spare bolts/nuts that fit implements and common points on the tractor
knife

In the truck
Spare parts for whatever implement I am using, especially if it's tillage equipment
Air compressor
fix a flat/slime
More complete tool boxes from home with "standard" tools- hammers, more screwdrivers
Diesel
larger wrenches that wont fit in the tool box
bailing wire
pry bar
cheater pipe
pb blaster