Tools and Products - Making Jobs Easier

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Cheater pipes.......I have 4 different lengths to increase the torque applied to a regular wrench.
1' "little helper"
2' "kinda stuck, need some help"
3' Whoa Nelly, this is really on there.
4' Holy Farc Batman, who the bl00dy he77 put this bolt onto my wheel so tightly"

Also a PB blaster fan. We don't have the wide choice here in Canada, but from the few different ones I've tried, it seems to work.

That inductance heater looks very cool. If I did more mechanic work, I'd definitely have one.

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
I've been using Kroil for years. Lots of guys mix it with Hoppe #9 to clean their rifles and swear by it, I haven't tried it.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I've also purchased some Fluid Film to try. My tractor has places that I'm unable to clean and paint such as inside of the structural tubing or areas just buried and too difficult to reach.

Has anyone used this? What are your thoughts?
I use Fluid Film on my truck, car, mowers and trailers. It works well and doesn't run after a few minutes. It is particularly useful on the trailer suspension as it keeps the leaf springs from rusting and adds some lubrication. The bolts are easily removed when (not if) that becomes necessary. It does need to be reapplied about once a year depending on conditions. It can be removed with a pressure washer and expect it to attract dirt.
There may be a few places on a tractor that could benefit, but stored implements might need it more. If you run in salt, I think it is absolutely necessary.

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Fluid film creeps into crevices and stuff, so it's good for frames and such. Giving things like a snowblower a quick coat of fluidfilm before storing should keep it pretty protected, plus then it helps release the snow from the inside. It does attract dirt, though.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I started using FF a few years ago. Not much or often, but like it.

First use was a cast table saw top. Had a little surface rust due to dampness. Nothing severe, but would stain light colored wood a little.

Some FF on it was great. Could rub my finger in it and not pick up any rust. No more issue with staining wood. Little goes long way and lasts long time.

It does attract dirt, but not like grease or oil does. I use it on 3PH lower link balls, top link and stabilizer threads, snowblower chute, etc. Keeps them free, prohibits rust, and keeps them a little cleaner than if oiled or greased.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Good thread all! Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

In my other thread about "Kubota Body Work and Restoration", member Fried1765 provided a rust treatment he likes. I'd never heard of it but here's some info on it as well as other products.

I'm sure we all could go on forever on the subject of rust eh?

The products below are for subsequent painting, but I've also used products like EVAPORUST and METAL RESCUE to remove rust prior to painting. I find both work better and faster with heated a bit - I'm not talking boiling, just around 100 degrees. I also like to use electrolysis for certain items so I'll include a link to a typical process I've used for motorcycle restoration and some tractor parts.

Electrolysis:

I've used the Rustoleum and Corroseal products with success.

Attachments

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Cheater pipes.......I have 4 different lengths to increase the torque applied to a regular wrench.
1' "little helper"
2' "kinda stuck, need some help"
3' Whoa Nelly, this is really on there.
4' Holy Farc Batman, who the bl00dy he77 put this bolt onto my wheel so tightly"

Also a PB blaster fan. We don't have the wide choice here in Canada, but from the few different ones I've tried, it seems to work.

That inductance heater looks very cool. If I did more mechanic work, I'd definitely have one.

I have those same cheater pipes!
One I have is about 4 feet long for hydraulic cylinders (and moving mountains).

Reactions: 1 user

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi All-

I was cruising around the forum and found this thread:

Member "Pony Doc" mentions Mr. Funnel as a fuel and water (and other crud) separator.
MR FUNNEL

Looks really impressive.
Check out this video.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I use a Mr. Funnel. If you don't have a pump and filter setup, it';s the next best thing.

I store it in a large plastic bag to keep it clean between uses.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Boiled linseed oil on implements where the paint is worn off. Keeps them from rusting.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
....I've also purchased some Fluid Film to try. My tractor has places that I'm unable to clean and paint such as inside of the structural tubing or areas just buried and too difficult to reach.
Has anyone used this? What are your thoughts?
In my life before retirement, I did elevator inspections and repairs on US Navy ships (think aircraft and cargo/weapons elevators). Used FF extensively due to the non-hazmat formula. Worked Great on guide rails, rollers, etc.

For penetrant, try a 50-50 mix of ATF and Acetone. ATF does not have to be new.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Hi All-

I was cruising around the forum and found this thread:

Member "Pony Doc" mentions Mr. Funnel as a fuel and water (and other crud) separator.
MR FUNNEL

Looks really impressive.
Check out this video.
This 100% works. I have the largest size at work. It helps to get the bulk of water out of fuel first, as the weight of the diesel will push water through.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
This 100% works. I have the largest size at work. It helps to get the bulk of water out of fuel first, as the weight of the diesel will push water through.

Agreed! If you have a lot of water, you can fill up the trap and the rest of the water will go through.

Not like I know that because my son left the cap off the 55 gallon drum and got it full of rainwater or anything....

rustythread

Equipment
L35, B7200HST
Nov 10, 2012
Mt Vernon, IL
My .daughter gave me a high-intensity LED light that straps on my forehead, with rechargeable batteries. I use it an average of 2-3 hour per day. I have a recharger and a pile of rechargeable batteries, and change about every 3 hours of use.
For a penetrant, I often use a 50/50 mix of ATF and kerosene, or ATF and acetone. [That's automatic transmission fluid, not alcohol, tobacco and firearms. Sorry]

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
Recently needed a flare nut wrench to remove a older hydraulic hose.
It was at the joystick block among six? others grouped in close proximity
It was a must have to get the job done. Needed the 7/8 end of the wrench.
Good purchase...

Also the Fluid film gets used on my truck here, lots of rock salt on the winter roads and they sometimes use the liquid calcium chloride on the major routes , that stuff will eat the frame off anything.
I bought the FF kit w/ spray bottle and various wands , hook up to my 20 gal compressor
and buy the stuff in a gal can. Probably use 1/2 gal per application once year.