Tools and Products - Making Jobs Easier

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi All-
I thought I would post some tools I use in my travels with motorcycle restoration and my tractor.
I believe tools are an investment and having the right tool for the job saves time and frustration!
Have you ever made your own tool? I have and although they were not pretty with shiny chrome, they worked!!

I invite you all to add to this thread with your ideas and such. Here are a few kickstarters:

1) Flex drive sockets - great for working in extremely small spaces. The socket itself is the universal drive.
2) Flex funnel - bend it anyway you like to get fluid from getting everywhere. Wipe it off when through. Almost as good as cardboard and duct tape!
3) Flex head wrenches - excellent for small spaces.
4) Inductance heater - Heats up bolts to red hot and makes removal easy and without burning everything within a mile when a torch can't be used.
If you have metal in your hand as I do, keep it away from the business end of the tool!!
5) Circlip Pliers - I've found Knipex to be the best.
6) Phantom Tire Sealer - This product did a wonderful job of bead sealing for me. Purportedly able to seal holes up to 1/2 inch immediately.
7) Teardrop ratchet with 120 teeth. Again, wonderful for small spaces where you need more than a 1 click swing.
8) Slim LED COB rechargeable light. Very bright, strong magnet, replaceable battery, lasts a long time.
9) Penetrating Oil. We all have our favorites - this one's mine.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
As a machinist, I am grateful that Kubota provides prints in whe WSM for the special tools needed for some of the repairs to our tractors.

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 47704

Knipex are the best.
PB blaster is good stuff.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
That inductance heater is on my list of tools to get. I live in the north east and salt use can make what should be a hour job into day long struggle with exhaust bolts, well anything under the car or truck. My son uses one at work and said it works well.

Blaster cans are everywhere so I don't have to look to find. Always stock up on it when on sale at TSC.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I would skip the tire slime. If you need a tire repair or replacement down the road you may find some shops won’t touch them, others may charge more to deal with the mess.

To add to the list though, a torque multiplier comes in handy for large/high torque fasteners (ex: bush hog blade bolts)

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I would skip the tire slime. If you need a tire repair or replacement down the road you may find some shops won’t touch them, others may charge more to deal with the mess.

To add to the list though, a torque multiplier comes in handy for large/high torque fasteners (ex: bush hog blade bolts)

Good point about the tire goosh.
I went back and forth on this but decided to go with it anyway.
I've used similar in motorcycle tires and always warn the tire place so they are not surprised.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have found that Deep Creep by SeaFoam is the best penetrant for New England rust. It has worked where others have failed. My last resort is the torch to get it red hot, and then throw a wrench onto the nut, and try to turn it off.

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Long time ago in here someone said heating things up and then melting wax onthe hot part would work too I dunno never tries it my self

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I have found that Deep Creep by SeaFoam is the best penetrant for New England rust. It has worked where others have failed. My last resort is the torch to get it red hot, and then throw a wrench onto the nut, and try to turn it off.
Great advice. I started using Deep Creep about two years ago and it’s my go-to now.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
PB blaster is good stuff.
Yes, it it. Kroil is quite a bit better, but expensive and hard to find. PB Blaster is everywhere.

I buy it by the gallon with the spray bottle. I find it MUCH easier to control how much I'm applying than with the aerosol. Just gentle pressure on the squeeze trigger and I can apply just the right amount. Or I can crank down and blast the stuff. It's cheaper that way, too. Lowe's carries the gallons. Might be on Amazon, too.

I have tried Seafoam's Deep Creep and I think it's a tad better than PB Blaster, but it's not sold in gallons.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
When doing small repairs or adjustments at home, try using the toolkit you carry on your bike. It's a good way to find out if your kit is missing anything that can easily be added.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
If you have "fat fingers" some long reach tools can come in handy
20210918_154134.jpg

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
On the PB Blaster comments (blasting everywhere) - so right!
Apparently PB has gotten the message because if you look at the newest can style (see my pic) they've added an adjustable spray control to the can that really works.

I've not tried Kroil or Deep Creep - on my list to try now.
I like to watch the Youtuber "Diesel Creek" and Kroil is used on everything there - He is sponsored however.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I've been a Kroil fan boy for 30 years and they don't sponsor me. I just know that it works really well.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Great thread….
I had never heard of the Inductance heater until now. Thanks!

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
What is tool on left for? What is its function and name?
holds a nut or bolt for hard to reach areas, then switch to wrench to tighten it.
don't know if snapon, mac or napa had it around 45yrs ago

EDIT
just visited titereach website and found this tool
may have to order some of their other tools

Last edited:

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I checked out the tite-reach.com website as recommended and that is so cool. I've only needed that tool about 1000 times. Thanks for this!

I've also purchased some Fluid Film to try. My tractor has places that I'm unable to clean and paint such as inside of the structural tubing or areas just buried and too difficult to reach.

Has anyone used this? What are your thoughts?

Attachments