Too much weight in ballast box

Toecat

Equipment
BX23s
Jun 1, 2019
Mansfield Ohio
I had a local metal shop make a ballast box that fit my qh 05 quick hitch. The vendor suggested I fill it with cement. So that’s what I did, without thinking right to the top. The three pt will lift it but the problem I have now is the tractor won’t steer to plow snow. Any suggestions? I spent about an hr trying to chip out some cement, but barely made a dent. Wondering about laying a bag of sand on the front quick hitch. Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How MUCH weight you have back there?

how much concrete?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
drill a line of holes,chip in between, remove one 'block', then another and another...?
air chisel ?
the 'trick' is to get ONE piece out and use that empty spot as a 'relief' to get the next one
if the 1st one takes an hour, the rest will come out in 1/2 that time....

how big ,size wise, is the ballast box, how many bags of mix went in it ?
sounds like over 1000# ,box and concrete ?

The BH seems to be a good weight, 700# ? In hindsight ,that weight, whatever it is, should have been your 'goal' weight
I've always used 'boxes on skids' on carryalls as 'ballast boxes' as I can dial in the proper weight for the job at hand. It's hard and costly to carry 500 extra pounds on the machine all day long when not needed.

Reactions: 1 users

Toecat

Equipment
BX23s
Jun 1, 2019
Mansfield Ohio
drill a line of holes,chip in between, remove one 'block', then another and another...?
air chisel ?
the 'trick' is to get ONE piece out and use that empty spot as a 'relief' to get the next one
if the 1st one takes an hour, the rest will come out in 1/2 that time....

how big ,size wise, is the ballast box, how many bags of mix went in it ?
sounds like over 1000# ,box and concrete ?

The BH seems to be a good weight, 700# ? In hindsight ,that weight, whatever it is, should have been your 'goal' weight
I've always used 'boxes on skids' on carryalls as 'ballast boxes' as I can dial in the proper weight for the job at hand. It's hard and costly to carry 500 extra pounds on the machine all day long when not needed.
Your suggestion is what I tried minus the air chisel. Used a hammer drill to try to make lines. Then a sledge and cold chisel to break it. I believe I have 8 bags of 50 lb cement in there. In hindsight I would do like you said and dial it in for the job. I will only have the box on when plowing or using the fel.

Reactions: 1 user

Nate77

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 5, 2023
Indiana
400 pounds isn’t a lot with the front end loader attached, but with it removed it must be.
500 pound Round bails on the back of my little loaderless Iseki would put the front wheels in the air, 200 pounds of suitcase weights on the front was enough to offset it.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Just wondering did he size it for your BX?

It might work fine with a front end loader the weight that it is. Maybe you need another one for your snowblower.

Another option, sell it and try again.

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This is often the problem with Any sort of “prototype”…. over-kill. Rent or buy a jack-hammer.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Ok, seems the WEIGHT of the BH is not in my copy of the owners manual,page 35, had to check the internet..
It's around 600#.
I don't have a problem pushing snow with the bucket, so your box of concrete has to weigh a lot more.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Rent an electric demolition hammer from Home Depot.
2nd this suggestion.

I have a somewhat elderly Milwaukee 1” spline shank electric hammer drill that has an option to turn off rotation so it can be used as a small breaker hammer with a smooth shank chisel. Weighs about 20lb. It would make pretty quick work of busting out whatever concrete you want to remove. If you want to be relatively surgical about it, sawing before breaking would allow for more controlled removal. It isn’t exactly a cheap tool so unless you have repetitive need for a serious hammer drill/breaker hammer, I’d rent it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
How cold is it where you are? If sub freezing, bore deep holes with a hammer drill and fill them with water. Let the ice bust it up.
Heck, if you were close enough, I'd consider buying it from you.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
The quick and dirty way ,is to cut one side of the box and then slide the concrete block out.
yes, sounds 'cruel' but depending on how the box was built ,could be a 10 minute job instead of hours,NOISY hours of chipping concrete.
The repair is easy, weld angle iron onto the corners,bzzzzzz zap, box is reborn.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
Based on my experience the problem may be the weight is not too much, but the problem is with the weight being far out from the tractor rear axle suspended by the 3 pt hitch, giving the weight too much leverage. If you can change the mounting design such that the weight is closer into the rear axle that can make a big difference.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Based on my experience the problem may be the weight is not too much, but the problem is with the weight being far out from the tractor rear axle suspended by the 3 pt hitch, giving the weight too much leverage. If you can change the mounting design such that the weight is closer into the rear axle that can make a big difference.

Might be true but it would be a trial-and-error approach that might or might not work, and would take a lot longer than chipping out some concrete. WIth the chipping approach, you just keep chipping until it's right, and you have certainty that it will eventually get there.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Drop the box when you are pushing snow with the blade.

Put it back on when you attach FEL.

Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Drop the box when you are pushing snow with the blade.

Put it back on when you attach FEL.
THIS

Also, you don't say what your plowing setup is.

Is it a FEL with added blade?

Is it a Quick connect with blade?

Something else?

I have ~400lbs out back of my BX2380 and with the FEL on it's fine.

In the winter I snowblow with a BX2830 and use no rear weight, but do lose steering just pushing the blower.

Could be what you are seeing is normal. (is your blade in float mode?)

Too many suggestions without all the facts first, imo

Toecat

Equipment
BX23s
Jun 1, 2019
Mansfield Ohio
THIS

Also, you don't say what your plowing setup is.

Is it a FEL with added blade?

Is it a Quick connect with blade?

Something else?

I have ~400lbs out back of my BX2380 and with the FEL on it's fine.

In the winter I snowblow with a BX2830 and use no rear weight, but do lose steering just pushing the blower.

Could be what you are seeing is normal. (is your blade in float mode?)

Too many suggestions without all the facts first, imo
Thanks. It’s mounted to a quick hitch. I do put the blade in float mode.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
The bx23S BH weighs in at approx. 600#. I would suggest you probably have more than that in your rear ballast. Some just fill the ballast box with sand or stone/s so they can adjust the weight as needed. I know you are past that, so I guess you are chipping if you want to take some out.