Too good to be true?

bfitzgerald3

Nov 13, 2012
harbor springs, mi
Ihorn8020 is selling a huge number of tractors seemingly very cheap on eBay.

Two are shown at left n this site...the m9540 and M135x.

I'm wondering a anyone has tried to contact the seller to see f he's legit or a scam artist. Prices seem too good t be true and the ads are vague.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah some dipshit is trying to scam people on Ebay. I looked at the ad for the M135X, no feed back raitings no contact phone number and email them at Google mail to get more info on the tractor is a scam.

The ad is kinda funny to me however. I look at Craigslist all the time and see where idiots there steal the exact ad from Ebay and try to scam people on Craigslist. A few times I've contacted the seller of an item on Ebay and told them that their item is being used for a scam and I would send a link to the Craigslist ad.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I think I'll bid on the MX135. That's a GREAT deal.;)

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Eric is right once again, I responded to an add a few years back they had a 50 hp Kubota for $3400 . I emailed the add and was told seller was a single mother and needed money quick. I was to send the $ and she would ship tractor and she would pay shipping Tractor looked new " SCAM !!!!!!!"

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
Yup looks like a scam to me just looked at all the equipment seller has for sale I would love to have the D-5 Cat but theres no way in hell someone would sale a piece like that for $5k

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I was involved in a potential scam a few years ago on ebay. The "seller" was very sophisticated with fake counterfeit websites etc. I could smell something funny when I said I would be in the area to look at the tractor myself. Anyhow after a couple of weeks leading them on, I was to wire my payment to a bank account in the UK. Even though I had the scumbags name, phone number, etc. the FBI or local law enforcement wouldn't do anything until after my money was gone. Anyhow be careful and if something is to good to be true...it is. All scams operate on our own greed.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I was involved in a potential scam a few years ago on ebay. The "seller" was very sophisticated with fake counterfeit websites etc. I could smell something funny when I said I would be in the area to look at the tractor myself. Anyhow after a couple of weeks leading them on, I was to wire my payment to a bank account in the UK. Even though I had the scumbags name, phone number, etc. the FBI or local law enforcement wouldn't do anything until after my money was gone. Anyhow be careful and if something is to good to be true...it is. All scams operate on our own greed.
That is obvious. Almost every tractor he is "selling" has multiple bids. Either there are a ton of suckers out there, or they recognize it as a scam, and are running the prices up with no intention of paying.
Every single item ends at the same moment. And, at first glance, the background looks similar in the listings. But, when I looked closer, there are differences.
I partly blame Ebay. They should restrict a 0 transaction seller to a low number of items, until they prove themselves.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I was trying to find a spot on Ebay where I could inform them of the con aritist. Hopefully Ebay could shut it down before someone gets taken for a ride, but I was unable to figure out how to report a scam.

Like always if it sounds way to good to be true then it always is.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
There is a link on right side of the listings,near bottom, which says report this item,I have done it several times for UK listings and they have been removed.
Dave

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ohh Ok I didnt notice that. At 61 listings thats going to take a while, anyone want to join in the fun and have that guy booted off Ebay?!!?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have a feeling the bidding is bogus. I spent some time (too much time) looking through many of the bidding histories, and every single bidder either has 100% positive, or 0%. Some have almost 1000 transactions, with 100%- very difficult to do. Some have 23 transactions, with 0 feedback.
Ok. I need to stop now. This stuff burns me up, though. People are gullible, and someone is going to get burnt.
I reported about a dozen of the listings to ebay. Worse comes to worse, they look into it and nothing is amiss. Or, they stop this now, before people and ebay looses money.

RD Gray

Equipment
BX2200 LA211 Loader 5' rear blade Woods PHD ph35
Oct 31, 2012
Luray, Virginia
They must have kicked him off. He's gone.
Hodge, you may have saved some people some headaches.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
All those episodes of Law and Order are finally paying off! Wait till I tell the wife...