To hydro or not

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Still, I wonder if HST's were so bad why all of the truly heavy equipment has gone 100% that way, or to automatic transmissions.

You would think that working in a rock quarry all day long would certainly point out any weaknesses, yet that is the direction that the heavy equipment operators have gone. I mean really, if anything is going to cause a failure it is going to be large loader, or even one of those huge off road only quarry dump trucks... yet none are manuals.

As to shifting, that is a art in trucking, lost in many of the newer drivers. But then, the reports on the automated transmissions are less downtime and less overall drivetrain wear, as well as more overall driver satisfaction at least as reported in the trucking magazines by both smaller and larger fleet users.

I had a chance to drive a new Volvo VN with the automated 12 speed. What a sweetheart. Perfect shift points, a real joy to drive. It really makes sense in my part of the country where you can spend three hours at a stretch in stop and go traffic.

But the bottom line is personal preference.

David

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
When I was shopping around in Dec for my new L3800. I was dead set on getting the manual. My uncle has a newer Kubota with the manual and a couple older gentlemen from the old tractor repair shop agreed that the manual was the only way to go.

Once I started talking to the salesmen at the Kubota dealers, they basicly said they would have to order the manual at that time of the year as they didn't really keep them in stock.

The guy I ended up buying from was a pretty straight shooter, I'm in sales so I can read them pretty well. He asked me why I was set on the manual, I told him the reasons above. His quote to me was that anyone the buys a manual is "ignorant" that includes my uncle which bought his tractor from the same guy. He said he tried to get my uncle not to buy the manual but could not get him to change his mind. He also said that they had worked on 3 different transmissions in 2 years,all of them manuals.
Pretty astute salesman, although he is defiantly gutsy saying ignorant. It might limit his sales in the future to those who might take exception to that. But at least he stands by his convictions.

David

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I disagree, also. It is a preference. Both methods of motivation have their merits and drawbacks, and neither is superior.
Manual or HST. Dino or synthetic. Amsoil or anything else. Democratic or Republican. These arguments will never stop. But, in the end, that's all they are- arguments. Not proof, not exhaustive. Just opinion and preference.
Well said....

David

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
I have a B7200HST and I prefer HST over gears for my work.

HST allow me to keep engine at top rpm to maintain PTO speed for the attachment (snowblower speed is critical on a low hp tractor) and it's also easier when you mow the lawn with a lot of back-and-forth around trees.

so I like to be able to maintain full PTO rpm and vary/stop/reverse the tractor land speed to match the load. it might not be critical for you.

Last edited:

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
Like the foreigners who come here and have no clue how to shift either. We're changing up to suite them... WTF?!??!
I'm sorry but Automatic's are a typical North-America thing (like mushy suspensions, v8s and full size pick-ups)

"Foreigners" like Europeans and Asians are buying a $h!t load more manual cars than automatics as they also buy smaller engines that were a bit weak with an automatic.

And the automatics is quite a pricy option. I can barely resell my Jeep liberty 6 speeds as people want automatics. (but I paid a lot less when I got it at the commercial auction as no one wanted it)

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Since I have the experience of being a mechanic for the past 40 years, I would agree you will see more HST being sold than ever before. The same can be said for the trucking industry. There is one very large reason with the trucks! It is because there are so few good truck drivers out there that know how to shift a manual transmisson. Now, with all of that being said, I will still take the maual over the HST T for myself. This past winter I did 3 HST overhauls in my shop and one clutch on a manual transmisson. I do think a lot of either mechanical problems come back to the fact that a lot of people do not change oil and filter or use the correct oil in the HST. Manuals also need the oil changed and levels maintained. Also the heat buildup in hard useage on an HST is a sure killer!
That's were my train of thought was going on an HST for the long run. HST is great for the weekend warrior who's maintaining their property and small acreage. But like you mentioned the heat build up is the killer for running it all day every day.

I use my tractors in a landscape business where I put 10 to 12 hours a day on them and I can't foresee the HST holding up for the long haul.

When I was truck driving and using truck mount forklifts like a Moffit or Piggyback they where hydraulic driven and I hated them. The pumps were worn slam out and weak. The damn forklift would creep forward or back, kept bumping into stuff like the side of the truck and tear steps off. And these lifts had about 1,500 to 2000 hours on them.

Hst and auto trannys are so popular because nobody knows how to shift gears anymore. Like the foreigners who come here and have no clue how to shift either. We're changing up to suite them... WTF?!??!
Good points guys! I don't like the heat and noise of HST, or the use of high rpm all the time. But this is just my preference.

I also don't want a automatic trans in my work truck. But I do like an auto in my traveling 'girly' truck. :D

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I'm sorry but Automatic's are a typical North-America thing (like mushy suspensions, v8s and full size pick-ups)

"Foreigners" like Europeans and Asians are buying a $h!t load more manual cars than automatics as they also buy smaller engines that were a bit weak with an automatic.

And the automatics is quite a pricy option. I can barely resell my Jeep liberty 6 speeds as people want automatics. (but I paid a lot less when I got it at the commercial auction as no one wanted it)
Yep, I agree more foreigners use manual trans. Don't know were Eric got that?
Automatics are an American thing, but it's likely spreading...

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
That's were my train of thought was going on an HST for the long run. HST is great for the weekend warrior who's maintaining their property and small acreage. But like you mentioned the heat build up is the killer for running it all day every day.

I use my tractors in a landscape business where I put 10 to 12 hours a day on them and I can't foresee the HST holding up for the long haul.

When I was truck driving and using truck mount forklifts like a Moffit or Piggyback they where hydraulic driven and I hated them. The pumps were worn slam out and weak. The damn forklift would creep forward or back, kept bumping into stuff like the side of the truck and tear steps off. And these lifts had about 1,500 to 2000 hours on them.

Hst and auto trannys are so popular because nobody knows how to shift gears anymore. Like the foreigners who come here and have no clue how to shift either. We're changing up to suite them... WTF?!??!
Now that's not opinion at all...

I fall into weekend worrier status but I'm still worried about longevity.

I'm curious as how you can spend 10-12 hrs a day on your tractor and still have time to respond to every topic in this forum?

I don't think the majority of cars are auto because people can't drive a stick. I'm sure it's more along the lines of the manufacturer building what's in demand. My guess is the same thing could be said for the tractor industry, IMO...

I'm not touching the foreigner comment.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Good points guys! I don't like the heat and noise of HST, or the use of high rpm all the time. But this is just my preference.

I also don't want a automatic trans in my work truck. But I do like an auto in my traveling 'girly' truck. :D
I don't use high rpm all the time on my L3200 HST. Not sure why you would think that you would have to. In fact I rarely run about about 1800 to 1900 rpm.

Perhaps that comes more from using a PTO, which it really matters not if it is a Hydro or Manual, as in the case of the L3200 there is little RPM difference between the required engine RPM to achieve 540 PTO RPM.

As to noise, yes at low engine rpms you can hear more transmission noise, but the engine is louder at higher rpms.

But as you said, preference is where it is at.

David

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I fall into weekend worrier status but I'm still worried about longevity.

I'm not touching the foreigner comment.
Neither am I going to disscuss the foreigner comment :)

However, as to longevity, I would not be concerned one bit. The construction guy who build my shop had a old rusted, faded out B series HST. Slightly over 6000 hours - and had never touched the HST other than filter and oil changes.

He had also never touched the engine - other than normal maintenance.

David

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I wasn't trying to call people out or sound racist but the Mexican population here in the you U.S is the reason why automatics are so popular and manuals are as rare as hens teeth. I say that because of talking to owners on trucking and freight companies they say that they have bought automatic trucks because they cant find anybody who can drive stick and say they have alot of Mexican and Hispanic drivers. Also in talking to the sales people at the truck store they claim all automatic sales are up because nobody can shift gears do the to foreigners. I've heard Indians are another group who cant change gears.

Oh and to answer somebodies question on here about how I can reply on here and operate the tractor. Its been some crazy ass weather here in Virginia lately, it was raining and sleeting just last night and its April 5th already. It's not exactly idea weather to plant grass seed in and install new lawns. I've mowed some lawns the other day and that was just chopping up weeds and kicking up alot of dust.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I wasn't trying to call people out or sound racist but the Mexican population here in the you U.S is the reason why automatics are so popular and manuals are as rare as hens teeth. I say that because of talking to owners on trucking and freight companies they say that they have bought automatic trucks because they cant find anybody who can drive stick and say they have alot of Mexican and Hispanic drivers. Also in talking to the sales people at the truck store they claim all automatic sales are up because nobody can shift gears do the to foreigners. I've heard Indians are another group who cant change gears.

Oh and to answer somebodies question on here about how I can reply on here and operate the tractor. Its been some crazy ass weather here in Virginia lately, it was raining and sleeting just last night and its April 5th already. It's not exactly idea weather to plant grass seed in and install new lawns. I've mowed some lawns the other day and that was just chopping up weeds and kicking up alot of dust.
I'm just busting your b.... Eric. I was just picturing a dude your size shifting gears and typing on your phone at the same time.

I can do that on my HST, btw.... Haha

The weather is crazy here too.

Have a good weekend!

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I'm just busting your b.... Eric. I was just picturing a dude your size shifting gears and typing on your phone at the same time.
Nor was I trying to bust anyone, just didn't want to touch that one.... I could just picture a mob of mad Aussies storming the USA !!

:)

David

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va

I can do that on my HST, btw.... Haha

The weather is crazy here too.

Have a good weekend!

I was texting on my phone while mowing on the tractor like an idiot. I almost dropped it and played a quick game of pinball and the damn phone bounced all over the place before I caught it. You know the drill when you drop it out of one hand, go to grab it with the other then smack it all over the place before you finally catch it.... Looks like your juggling a phone from a distance. One of those mini heart attack moments.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I just put 3 hrs , the first three hours on my new ride...bush hogging down back , a lot of ruff terrain , a few rocks here and there, my son run the tractor and I rolled and tossed rocks into the bucket, three buckets worth, we dumped them onto the stone walls that line the field. Then bush hogged , The L3800 had plenty of power, I thought about the industrial tires instead of the ag tires , I'm glad I went with the ag tires, on steep slopes climbing up near straight, the tractor had great traction. As far as this post goes, hydro or not, backing up and maneuvering around rocks, Thank God I had the hydro, its so much faster then a gear shift would be and easier on the body. With the power steering , the tractor is a dream to drive...