Titan Attachments 57" Ditch/Bank Flail Mower failure.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The website says the are available in the US in the tab "About us". You may try contacting them:

ortolan@ortolan.net

Good luck!
I have a Del Morino so it's not going to happen. I thought perhaps you have an Ortolan flail since you mentioned them. The fact that it's not obvious how to buy one in the US, and the fact that a Google search didn't show any dealers here makes me wonder.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Yes, I have one, a T10 pickup. Great machine.

DSC09633.JPG

DSC09616.JPG

I have a Del Morino so it's not going to happen. I thought perhaps you have an Ortolan flail since you mentioned them. The fact that it's not obvious how to buy one in the US, and the fact that a Google search didn't show any dealers here makes me wonder.

Reactions: 1 user

Plant 175

Equipment
Kubota Sidekick
Jun 3, 2021
Wisconsin
Befco H40-S72 is $6,826 + tax + shipping. Made in usa, nc. Not even a ditch bank model…similar ibex cost half as much and just as good…
When I talked with Befco this spring they told me the flail mowers were made in Italy

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
mcmxi,

please note that this is in Belgium; I got the machine through my (fine) Kubota dealer.

Out of curiosity, tomorrow I'l write to Ortolan to inquire about their sales office in the US.

So where did you buy your T10?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
mcmxi,

please note that this is in Belgium; I got the machine through my (fine) Kubota dealer.

Out of curiosity, tomorrow I'l write to Ortolan to inquire about their sales office in the US.
This is what I thought. I don't know that Ortolan is available in the US. Del Morino/Ibex is available here, and at the moment it's the only 100% Italian made flail mower that I'm aware of that can be purchased in the US.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
I almost forgot, but yesterday I contacted Ortolan about their US sales network. This is their answer:

Hello,

in the USA we deal with BDI Machinery, here below contact details:

BDi Machinery Sales, Inc.
52 Race St.
Macungie, PA 18062
(610) 966-2444 Office
(610) 965-2959 Fax

www.bdimachinery.com

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards

Stefania Zoia
Commerciale / Sales Dept. s.zoia@ortolan.net
Tel +39-324-0111 251

That's good information. Thanks very much.
Are they available in the US?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I almost forgot, but yesterday I contacted Ortolan about their US sales network. This is their answer:

Hello,

in the USA we deal with BDI Machinery, here below contact details:

BDi Machinery Sales, Inc.
52 Race St.
Macungie, PA 18062
(610) 966-2444 Office
(610) 965-2959 Fax

www.bdimachinery.com

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards

Stefania Zoia
Commerciale / Sales Dept. s.zoia@ortolan.net
Tel +39-324-0111 251
Did you try the url for BDI Machinery? It doesn't work! Not a good sign when the company's domain name can't be resolved. Thanks for shedding some light on Ortolan, but availability in the US is questionable to say the least.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
I goodled bdi machinery and was taken directly to their site.

Did you try the url for BDI Machinery? It doesn't work! Not a good sign when the company's domain name can't be resolved. Thanks for shedding some light on Ortolan, but availability in the US is questionable to say the least.

billskeen66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota LX2610HSDC
May 21, 2022
Dallas, TX
That one is also china made...

But to the OP...dang that's pretty bad. It just came apart or you hit something?
It just came apart.

We use it on rough terrain, so it gets bounced quite a bit. Compared to other brands, it is a bit of a poor design at that point.

Since the repair, it has been working without incident - so far. Now that I just jinxed myself... :)

billskeen66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota LX2610HSDC
May 21, 2022
Dallas, TX
@billskeen66, how's that flail mower holding up? Did your welder do a good job of fixing the problem? Even if he didn't, you might not find out for another 100 hours or so. :cautious:
So far, so good with about 50+hours. The repair still looks solid.

Now my issue is finding hammers to replace the ones that are as blunt as my fat fingers. LOL On backorder at Titan Attachments/palletforks.com.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So far, so good with about 50+hours. The repair still looks solid.

Now my issue is finding hammers to replace the ones that are as blunt as my fat fingers. LOL On backorder at Titan Attachments/palletforks.com.
I was looking at these .... but want to try running some 7018 rod on the edges followed by grinding and seeing if that works,

billskeen66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota LX2610HSDC
May 21, 2022
Dallas, TX
Other issues that have popped up with the Titan Attachments ditch/bank flail mower are:

1. the rubber skirt on the back is too thin for the type of work we do. Almost completely ripped off now. I ordered some thicker reinforced rubber material from McMaster-Carr that I will install during the off-season - if we ever get one.

2. hydraulic hoses use difficult-to-find fittings. I finally went to Brooks Hydraulics in Searcy, AR, to get the coupler ends of the hoses replaced with locally available AG connectors.

3. the overall height. We have the 57" with the gearbox on top of the mower and oil fill port fitting sticking up on top of it. We are constantly snagging that port on things.

4. debris buildup between the inside edge of the cover/bearing and the roller. This requires constant cleaning throughout a typical day's use. If we skip this, the flail bogs down the PTO quickly.

5. There is a long jagged/serrated edge welded inside the cover. It bent quickly and, unfortunately, can't be removed to straighten/sharpen.

6. Poor documentation and knowledgeable support staff. It does take some trial and error to get it set up properly. Before purchasing, I contacted TA support to find out what type of couplers were required. I am still waiting on an answer from them. It has AG-12 couplers.

All of this said I am overall still happy with our purchase. The ditch/bank capabilities of this mower are great, and we can reach out pretty far with the mower. I only wish I had purchased the wider unit, but I was concerned at the time about the 3-point being able to lift the mower off the ground when fully extended behind our LX2610HSDC.

Last edited:

billskeen66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota LX2610HSDC
May 21, 2022
Dallas, TX
I was looking at these .... but want to try running some 7018 rod on the edges followed by grinding and seeing if that works,
Ouch, those are expensive for a disposable blade. I was not happy about $56 for 5 from TA. lol

Let me know how your rod idea works.

I have a CNC mill. I was thinking about creating a design I could make my own. In my spare time...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you're needing some knives, or other parts, for flails here's a good source. They've been around since the '70's but closed down a couple of years ago. Then an employee purchased supplies and started over.

Flailmaster
April 19 ·

Happy Spring everyone! We hope you are ready for mowing season! We are working hard here at the factory. Give us a call if you need a quote on parts or need to place an order 615-848-1813.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
Since this discussion has about made in italy flail mowers, I'd want to add this one:

They are made in Italy as well. Cost is like 6.5k for the 60 inch light duty or 7.5k for heavy duty. 8k for 72 inch. You can call an Iowa or Texas dealer if you want this brand. These prices don't have tax and shipping too.

To be honest, even though the made in china brands might be worse quality, they are far far cheaper....

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
To be honest, even though the made in china brands might be worse quality, they are far far cheaper....
$4,399 for a 65" Chinese offset flail from Titan Attachments vs. $6,699 for a comparable Italian made Del Morino Centurion 158 (62") isn't my idea of "far far cheaper". If you read the reviews for the Titan model they aren't good.

Last edited:

billskeen66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota LX2610HSDC
May 21, 2022
Dallas, TX
This will be my last post on this topic.

I did contact TA to tell them what happened and showed them pictures.

I received a message back stating that my warranty claim was denied because we had to do a field repair, and my warranty is now voided.

I will not buy or recommend TA for products or support.

All the best to everyone posting on this topic.

Cheers

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This will be my last post on this topic.

I did contact TA to tell them what happened and showed them pictures.

I received a message back stating that my warranty claim was denied because we had to do a field repair, and my warranty is now voided.

I will not buy or recommend TA for products or support.

All the best to everyone posting on this topic.

Cheers
@billskeen66 , thanks for all the information you've provided on your TA flail mower. You've been transparent and willing to share the good and the bad, which might help others when it comes to choosing an implement.