Tires and wheels too wide

Cavedog

Equipment
L3650, Ford 3000,
Mar 17, 2012
Galena, Oh USA
I have a set of 21.5x16.1 on my tractor. I like the tires be cause they don't hurt the lawn. I want to trailer it. My trailer is 76" between the fenders. The tires are 79". There is no offset adjustments. The wheels are are one peice.
I have thought of trading for smaller wheels and tires or reenforcing the fenders and just cram it in. My last option is to have the centers cut out and rewelded 2" over.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Tires and wheels too wide
Wow, never thought I'd hear that..... usually the complaint is just the opposite!
Can you move the wheel hubs on the axle? You didn't mention the tractor model, but on my B7100, (and many others) you can move the hubs on the axle.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
The rear rims are reversible on my L175. Meaning you take them off, spin them 180 and put them back on the same hub. The offset is only something like a 1.5 inches so you'd only get 3 inches a side but that would do it in your case. As long as nothing rubs and the lugs stay torqued you'll be fine. Not sure if your model can do this but have a look at your clearance and make sure the lugs will still mate up to the rim appropriately when the rim is reversed.

Cavedog

Equipment
L3650, Ford 3000,
Mar 17, 2012
Galena, Oh USA
This is an L3650DT. If I turn the wheels around they would never bolt up. The offset is too great They would need some sort of adaptors to reverse them. There is no way to adjust the offset. The centers are factory welded to the rims.

Thanks for your replies

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A photo or two would help us to understand, possibly including the trailer.
I doubt that you can reinforce the fenders enough to support the load of cramming a tractor through them.
And, welcome to OTT! It's a bunch of good folks here!

Cavedog

Equipment
L3650, Ford 3000,
Mar 17, 2012
Galena, Oh USA
The fronts are quite a bit narrower. Problem is, the rears have to be about mid-way between the trailer's tamdem wheels, balance the load.
I have enough clearence to move the wheels in 2". I"ll check out the possibility of cutting the centers out and moving them in 2 inches.

Thanks

DickSnyder

Equipment
L185DT,L1200 FEL, Rear blade,Woods RCC42
Jul 29, 2011
Mt. Hood Parkdale, Oregon
Have you considered cutting down the fenders? I'd be more apt to cut down the fenders than my wheels. My single axle trailer's fenders have about 2" clearance between tires and fenders , might give that area a look see, never know. Good luck.
Dick

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You can have spacers built to make the rear wheel reversible - they are available form the TRACKS co, on EBAY. Search for Kubota wheel spacers. It'll cost about $400.
If it was my choice, I'd mess with the $2K trailer, rather than the $20K tractor. You should be able to pick up wider axles for a song, and do a bit of work to the fenders.
Keep the Orange beauty shiny.