Tire chains

Shellfish

Nov 30, 2015
Ruther Glen Virginia
I have a BX 1500 will putting chains on the rear tires help with traction in snow using tractor on gravel ground it has truff tires on it trying to move snow

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a BX 1500 will putting chains on the rear tires help with traction in snow using tractor on gravel ground it has truff tires on it trying to move snow
o yes it will help....but be careful and watch the clearance around the wheel wells, cause any type of loose chain will.......well, you will know the problem WHEN you HEAR the cause! I just now could NOT get up a 10% slope with 500 lbs in the bucket, all four tires were spinning and actually got stuck sideways! Chains would have helped big time, mine was so bad that he tires (R4) dug ruts in the gravel. As soon as the machine gets on the packed snow, it becomes ice like and then bad news!

Shellfish

Nov 30, 2015
Ruther Glen Virginia
Thanks for the good news I do have a set of chains that came with the tractor I just got it about a month again and really haven't used it much till today it had plenty power just no traction I will put on the chains in the morning and give it another try we have about 15 Inchs now and it's still snowing I to got stuck on snow I had scraped had to pull it out with the old 4x4 truck

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
First year after I bought my B I didn't have chains and it was worthless. Bought a set and last winter it was a ton better. I could get around most places in 2 wheel drive and never got stuck unlike the first winter. This winter I haven't put the chains on yet. ( no snow ) Before I bought my Kubota I pushed snow with a Sears tractor that has chains on it and it does a great job. I still use the Sears for light snows and leave the chains on that tractor year round. I think they make a big difference even in the dirt.

Last edited:

Shellfish

Nov 30, 2015
Ruther Glen Virginia
First year after I bought my B I didn't have chains and it was worthless. Bought a set and last winter it was a ton better. I could get around most places in 2 wheel drive and never got stuck unlike the first winter. This winter I haven't put the chains on yet. Before I bought my Kubota I pushed snow with a Sears tractor that has chains on it and it does a great job. I still use the Sears for light snows and leave the chains on that tractor year round. I think they make a big difference even in the dirt.
Sounds good alansz400 I got it used and they gave me the chains hope they fit tight on the tires going to put them on in the morning and have some fun..... I hope!!!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
You guys have not seen anything yet. How'd you like to find that your tractor could not make it up a 20% slope that was glare ice with chains on all four.??? Here in Wisconsin I had that fun experience once.
Anyhow, Mr. Shellfish, they make a whale of a difference. especially if the cross chains are closely spaced.

Shellfish

Nov 30, 2015
Ruther Glen Virginia
I most say y'all were right Iam so glad I had a set put on, I put them on and MAN THAT THING WOULD PLOW!!! I was really surprised it did I great of others need traction in snow you need to get you a set.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
Good chains make a world of difference. You might not be able to steer, but you can go!

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I had rubber chains on my old ford lgt tractor, because the metal ones were ripping up my paved areas.

Rubber ones worked just as well as the metal and no damage to anything after.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I had rubber chains on my old ford lgt tractor, because the metal ones were ripping up my paved areas.

Rubber ones worked just as well as the metal and no damage to anything after.
What was the manufacturer of those rubber chains you mention? I have R4's and want better traction for snowblowing up and down hill. I slipped a little bit the other day and have a long way to fall if I were to go over the edge. :eek:

forceten

Equipment
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
What was the manufacturer of those rubber chains you mention? I have R4's and want better traction for snowblowing up and down hill. I slipped a little bit the other day and have a long way to fall if I were to go over the edge. :eek:
Its been a while since I had bought them but I am 90% sure it was these guys

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/rubber-tire-chains-c-4.html

They really really worked well, gave lots of extra traction and in two years of using them they never came off or loosened. No marks on the concrete and it stopped ripping up my already in bad shape driveway

I would almost get them for my kubota, but so far I dont seem to need them with my tire treads

Attachments

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Its been a while since I had bought them but I am 90% sure it was these guys

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/rubber-tire-chains-c-4.html

They really really worked well, gave lots of extra traction and in two years of using them they never came off or loosened. No marks on the concrete and it stopped ripping up my already in bad shape driveway

I would almost get them for my kubota, but so far I dont seem to need them with my tire treads
Thanks. Still debating the rubber ones. I've been reading that they help, but not as good as chains. My concern is ice. I don't want to scrape up my blacktop, but I'd rather repair my road than a flipped 3350. My cab would get crushed to bits. What kind of tires do you run on you kub?

forceten

Equipment
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
No clue the name for them -------

I dont seem to have a problem with ice. I always use salt spreaders and put snow melt pellets down. I get rid of all the snow all the time.

On the old ford the rubber chains helped me in deep snow if I backed into it. And the weight of the ford lgt wasnt that great even with loaded tires and weights in the back. But the bx25 is much heavier (still loaded tires) so for my area and my driveway I dont slip.

With a snow blower I'm mostly going behind the snowblower also - so the tires are usually on cleaned surfaces. Except sometimes turning around

Attachments

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
Oh man, I can personally speak to this topic since I just spent the last 2 days snowblowing most of my neighborhood due to Snowstorm Jonas - we got 26 inches at my house in Maryland, the drifts caused way deeper snow totals!

I have a BX2360 w/ BX2750D front snowblower, R4 tires. I bought a set of rear chains from tirechains.com, and whilst initially they seemed a little long, with some effort I got them to fit great (here's 2 hints - either buy 2 sets of the chain tightener sets they sell - 2 come in a bag, so you'll get 4, use 2 on each wheel, or just a ton of bungie cords, AND plastic wire-tie up any slack, and they'll fit like a glove!)

These past two days, though being a ton of (fun!) work, my Bota was an unstoppable digging, snowblowing machine. With some of the drifts I was working in, the snow was OVER the top of the blower, so i would take a bite of the top, just driving right over the 6-10 inches of snow still on the ground under the wheels. She would just dig in and push like she was meant to be there...then I'd back up and blow down to pavement on the second pass.

Others are correct that steering will be pretty much nonexistent in the *deep!* stuff, but just bump the snowblower up a smidge and go back over and you should be able to steer.

Chains CAN mark up asphalt, but I got the 'medium duty' chains and didn't notice any additional marks or damage on my 100' asphalt driveway. Heck, my snowblower skid shoes probably made more marks. The key is to try NOT to spin the tires, that's when you'll get some scrapes. GO SLOW. Though I will say, if you just seal-coated your asphalt, yea you'll probably see some scrapes (pfft a metal snow shovel would probably mark that up! :) )

Tire chains are inexpensive, easy to repair, easy to fit (once you figure it out), and could turn even a small lawn tractor into something every snowflake should fear :D

Get them, use them, love them!

And Go Orange!

OrangeLivin

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
No clue the name for them -------

I dont seem to have a problem with ice. I always use salt spreaders and put snow melt pellets down. I get rid of all the snow all the time.

On the old ford the rubber chains helped me in deep snow if I backed into it. And the weight of the ford lgt wasnt that great even with loaded tires and weights in the back. But the bx25 is much heavier (still loaded tires) so for my area and my driveway I dont slip.

With a snow blower I'm mostly going behind the snowblower also - so the tires are usually on cleaned surfaces. Except sometimes turning around
Thanks for the reply. I refuse to use salt as it will eat away at the asphalt. Its 4/10ths of a mile so I take as much care as possible.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Oh man, I can personally speak to this topic since I just spent the last 2 days snowblowing most of my neighborhood due to Snowstorm Jonas - we got 26 inches at my house in Maryland, the drifts caused way deeper snow totals!

I have a BX2360 w/ BX2750D front snowblower, R4 tires. I bought a set of rear chains from tirechains.com, and whilst initially they seemed a little long, with some effort I got them to fit great (here's 2 hints - either buy 2 sets of the chain tightener sets they sell - 2 come in a bag, so you'll get 4, use 2 on each wheel, or just a ton of bungie cords, AND plastic wire-tie up any slack, and they'll fit like a glove!)

These past two days, though being a ton of (fun!) work, my Bota was an unstoppable digging, snowblowing machine. With some of the drifts I was working in, the snow was OVER the top of the blower, so i would take a bite of the top, just driving right over the 6-10 inches of snow still on the ground under the wheels. She would just dig in and push like she was meant to be there...then I'd back up and blow down to pavement on the second pass.

Others are correct that steering will be pretty much nonexistent in the *deep!* stuff, but just bump the snowblower up a smidge and go back over and you should be able to steer.

Chains CAN mark up asphalt, but I got the 'medium duty' chains and didn't notice any additional marks or damage on my 100' asphalt driveway. Heck, my snowblower skid shoes probably made more marks. The key is to try NOT to spin the tires, that's when you'll get some scrapes. GO SLOW. Though I will say, if you just seal-coated your asphalt, yea you'll probably see some scrapes (pfft a metal snow shovel would probably mark that up! :) )

Tire chains are inexpensive, easy to repair, easy to fit (once you figure it out), and could turn even a small lawn tractor into something every snowflake should fear :D

Get them, use them, love them!

And Go Orange!

OrangeLivin
My dealer recommended these. they're 109 pounds on my 12.4 x 16's. Snowblower and garden tractor chains

http://www.lacledechain.com/traction/tractor/snowblowergardentractorchains

Any comments ? These look OK?

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it slow and try not to spin the tires. Once day I'm going to install some guardrails on the more treacherous parts of the road.

I posted a video recently of me clearing it, it's long and has a pretty decent turn at the top of the hill, which is where I slipped.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23276&highlight=snowblowing+action

Cheers!

Last edited:

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
Those chains look good to me. They're not super-aggressive and don't have the VBars welded on, which can really chew up concrete and asphalt. 109lbs per pair is some weight! You're gonna need some muscles to get them on :) Check youtube for some good vids on that, and there's a really great post on that other forum (not sure I can link TBN forum here!) that shows a great way with bungie cords to mount them.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Thanks. Still debating the rubber ones. I've been reading that they help, but not as good as chains. My concern is ice. I don't want to scrape up my blacktop, but I'd rather repair my road than a flipped 3350. My cab would get crushed to bits. What kind of tires do you run on you kub?
I used steel chains on my Bolens garden tractor with snow blower and couldn't have moved without the chains. Now with a lot more snow removal, on my BX with turf tires I don't need chains for snow or ice even on the hill. If I ever do have trouble on the hill with ice I would go to studs before going back to chains.