Tire chains

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I put studs in my R4's, work great on my hill/driveway. Don't tear up the blacktop.
I've seen a few posts where guys will use tapcons as studs. I'll give the chains a go, and if it looks like more damage than I can control, I'll try the studs, thanks!

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Those chains look good to me. They're not super-aggressive and don't have the VBars welded on, which can really chew up concrete and asphalt. 109lbs per pair is some weight! You're gonna need some muscles to get them on :) Check youtube for some good vids on that, and there's a really great post on that other forum (not sure I can link TBN forum here!) that shows a great way with bungie cords to mount them.
I will. Thanks for the tip! :)

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I used steel chains on my Bolens garden tractor with snow blower and couldn't have moved without the chains. Now with a lot more snow removal, on my BX with turf tires I don't need chains for snow or ice even on the hill. If I ever do have trouble on the hill with ice I would go to studs before going back to chains.
I read how turf tires will get better traction in the snow due to the surface area, but I went for the r4's because most of my landscaping work will be in and around the perimeter of the woods, lotsa stones and very hilly. I have a 52" Scag zero turn for cutting my grass. Blazes through 10 acres in about 3 hours. :D

Thanks for the reply, I'll do some more research and if my chains don't suit me, I'll look into studding options.