Tips for well line?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The pressure in the bladder of your pressure tank should be 2# less then the pressure switch cut in setting. Check it at the schrader valve and adjust if necessary. Check tank with no water in it.

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Do yourself and any future owners of your property a favor. Before you bury everything, take a tape measure, and draw something up real quick with dimensions from the house's foundation. In at least two directions if possible. Keep it with your well information and paperwork. Make any notes such as "extra sch 80 sleeve run here with pull string". Or "Well pipe used is 2" Sch 80, 3' deep, with sand backfill to 12" ".

If you don't know, it's called an "As Built". We did this on blueprints back in the day when I was in commercial construction. It was normally required for commercial and government projects.

I bought a forest home built in the late 1980's. I was fortunate enough to talk with the previous owner. He said, "Oh, the septic tank is over there somewhere, and the leach lines go thataway a hunderd feet or so." Great, I could have guessed that much. Hard dimensions written down would be gold.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Do yourself and any future owners of your property a favor. Before you bury everything, take a tape measure, and draw something up real quick with dimensions from the house's foundation. In at least two directions if possible. Keep it with your well information and paperwork. Make any notes such as "extra sch 80 sleeve run here with pull string". Or "Well pipe used is 2" Sch 80, 3' deep, with sand backfill to 12" ".

If you don't know, it's called an "As Built". We did this on blueprints back in the day when I was in commercial construction. It was normally required for commercial and government projects.

I bought a forest home built in the late 1980's. I was fortunate enough to talk with the previous owner. He said, "Oh, the septic tank is over there somewhere, and the leach lines go thataway a hunderd feet or so." Great, I could have guessed that much. Hard dimensions written down would be gold.
I sold my Summer home in Canada to a buyer I never spoke with.
I was readily available, and told the real estate agent so.

All sorts of VERY useful information I could have passed on, ......and wanted to pass on.
Buyer never made any contact.
I found it to be strange!

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
IMG_7567.jpeg

IMG_7568.jpeg
Mission accomplished. Not a lot of pics though. Ran 4” pvc to run the well line and electrical in. Used my pressure washer with a turbo tip to bore under the foundation and into the crawl space.

All that worked well, but still no water pressure and pump constantly running. Pulled the old 1/2 hp well pump and replaced it with a new 3/4hp. Well wasn’t very deep. About 65-70 feet. We’ll line was schedule 80 pvc, so that made things a little interesting, but we got it done.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I sold my Summer home in Canada to a buyer I never spoke with.
I was readily available, and told the real estate agent so.

All sorts of VERY useful information I could have passed on, ......and wanted to pass on.
Buyer never made any contact.
I found it to be strange!
Likely a city boy who didn't know what he didn't know, so didn't know to ask.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A little late now, but it 100% illegal to run water and electrical in the same pipe!
There is supposed to be and minimum separation between water and electric!
And sorry if this is rude but it, all 100% dangerous as all get up!
Electric wires make heat and more heat than in open air, enough heat to melt poly pipe.
So now you have water and electric in the same pipe!
Please for the love of all things buy a (matching existing) amperage 220v GFI breaker to run your well!
it's still not 100% but it might just save someone's life!

Reactions: 1 user

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Replaced my well pump a couple weeks ago. 80' down on galvanized pipe. Now it's 80' down on PVC. Original pump lasted 47 years. I have excellent water with absolutely no treatment of any kind. Part of my job for 30 years was making and analyzing potable water for public consumption.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I agree that it is not a good idea to run the wires with the pipe, but the well casing is a pipe and they run together anyway.
It's not buried in dirt, it's open air or underwater. ;)

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I have to agree with @NorthIdahoWolfman on this one.

I'd humbly suggest that you pull out the electrical wires from the sleeve. Then run it thru a 1/2" conduit outside of the water pipe sleeve.

I've seen some crazy jury-rig stuff done on homes. Most of which was illegal because it puts life and property in danger. In your case, it's a slim possibly, but in a bad set of circumstances without GFCI breaker someone could literally touch an exposed steel well cap and get electrocuted.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
A little late now, but it 100% illegal to run water and electrical in the same pipe!
There is supposed to be and minimum separation between water and electric!
And sorry if this is rude but it, all 100% dangerous as all get up!
Electric wires make heat and more heat than in open air, enough heat to melt poly pipe.
So now you have water and electric in the same pipe!
Please for the love of all things buy a (matching existing) amperage 220v GFI breaker to run your well!
it's still not 100% but it might just save someone's life!
Well, good thing I haven’t filled the trench in yet and can easily fix it.

Thanks for the info

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I agree it was bad to put water and electrons in the same conduit but highly unlikely the weeping pipe will be melted. First it'd have to melt all the thick insulation of the 220 power feed and for that to happen the pump would have to dead short AND the circuit breaker in the panel would have to NOT trip.
If you can, run the 220 through 1" polypipe(old water pipe) , just in case you need to replace it 5-10-50 years from now....

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Likely a city boy who didn't know what he didn't know, so didn't know to ask.
Could be,...... but I really don't think so.
He was apparently a dual Canadian/American citizen, and had previously owned a home in the same Nova Scotia county.
Reportedly,....... was DIY capable also.
Duh ?????

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Could be,...... but I really don't think so.
He was apparently a dual Canadian/American citizen, and had previously owned a home in the same Nova Scotia county.
Reportedly,....... was DIY capable also.
Duh ?????
Weird. Unless he was just planning to do it all over anyway....

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Weird. Unless he was just planning to do it all over anyway....
I built much of it myself (former Civil eng.), so at 13 years old, the property needed nothing!
Assumed any buyer would want to know...
Location of septic system, size of septic tanks, under bsmt floor drain tile outlet, well depth, pump brand & HP, empty wire chases bsmt. to 2nd floor, hot water heat zones, alum. hurricane panels (I gave them away since he did not see, or ask) thickness of enclosed vaulted roof insulation, etc,....NOTHING!.

Some folks just prefer to reinvent the wheel?

Last edited:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Makes no sense to me.

In contrast, when I moved into my place, I struggled to find any info. Not to be found. Couldn't even get any info out of the well company. They had their name on the pressure tank (in Magic Marker!). When I called them, they were happy to look it up. Just give us the name of the developer.

??? I'm maybe the 4th owner of this house built in the 70s. How would I know the developer's name? And why would I care?

Yeah, they filed all their work under the developer name. Not by the street address. Wondered why I would think filing by the address was a good idea. Don't know the developer name? Can't help you. o_O

When I finally needed a new pump, guess who I did NOT call!