Throttle Advance to BX

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Looking for thoughts/ideas about adding throttle advance to a BX. I find that this would really be a nice feature to have when removing snow. I'm finding myself knocking down the throttle to work a pile (don't like to hear it screaming along at 2,700 rpm when I'm just doing FEL work) but then having to wind it up when making a pass with the backblade. It's not a big deal but I think it would be a nice feature as found on bigger machines.

I was thinking about just using a shifter style secondary cable between the HST pedals and the throttle.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I see no need for anything like that, I mean if you cant bump the throttle up or down as needed. Then maybe theres another problem you need to address

rob82

Equipment
2012 BX25
Jan 18, 2013
Monroe,NJ
Well I have wondered this myself. I know that the motor is meant to rev but seems like unnessesary wear. Although bumping the throttle by hand isnt that big of a deal I still dont know why they didnt do it like the larger ones

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking for thoughts/ideas about adding throttle advance to a BX. I find that this would really be a nice feature to have when removing snow. I'm finding myself knocking down the throttle to work a pile (don't like to hear it screaming along at 2,700 rpm when I'm just doing FEL work) but then having to wind it up when making a pass with the backblade. It's not a big deal but I think it would be a nice feature as found on bigger machines.

I was thinking about just using a shifter style secondary cable between the HST pedals and the throttle.

screaming at 2700???? I am with Skeets, the simplicity of increasing/decreasing throttle is easy - I do see the problem with the bucket and throttle- both with the right hand - If you wire up something to the pedal, it too can be a cluster #@$@ - Too much pedal will = a boat load of movement ! :(

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I see no need for anything like that, I mean if you cant bump the throttle up or down as needed. Then maybe theres another problem you need to address
Well, than I don't recommend you do it. :D

I do see a need for it, for the same reason you see it on all larger machines I'm not alone in that. I agree Rob, half the time when I have it reved up between 2700 - 3000 rpm I really don't need it that high but its a pain to throttle up and down all the time. If it would respond to pedal input I could literally cut the rpm up time in half. 3000 rpm cut to 1500 would mean my rotating assembly would last twice as long. Wouldn't hurt fuel savings either.

What I'm looking to do would be a simple throttle bump, on/off only. The main throttle would control the low stop position at all times. The kick would bump it up 1000 rpm over whatever the lever already was set at) or so when the pedal was at or above 3/4.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Why not put a small spring loaded pedal on the left side and operate it with your left foot? Just a thought.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Why do you need so much throttle when using the blade? Other than when traveling down the road, I never use more than half throttle (usually less) for
ANYTHING. Just curious.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tractors that have a variable throttle associated with movement are not HST controlled tractors they are more of an automatic trans setup.

Increasing throttle only when pushing the HST control pedal will not work like you think it would, you will just have a gutless wonder of a tractor, and will possibly do damage to it! :(

I'm pretty sure if it could and should be done then Kubota would have already done it. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Sometimes i would trade my gearshift for hst.especially the forward reverse thing.you dont know how good you got it til you have to pick a gear for every move. Involves clutching every time.
Lots of work involving throttle-winder up.
Lots of work involving finesse- throttle down.
Spent five winters clearing snow on a hst, never thought throttle was an issue.
Thats a plan that i would give up on, to me it wouldnt make it enough of a convenience.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
Sometimes i would trade my gearshift for hst.especially the forward reverse thing.you dont know how good you got it til you have to pick a gear for every move. Involves clutching every time.
Lots of work involving throttle-winder up.
Lots of work involving finesse- throttle down.
When I was searching for a good older used Kubota to buy, my two friends that already had Kubotas told me ONE thing; If it doesn't have HST and a loader, don't waste your time. After using the BX model over the years, I can't even imagine trying to do what I do with a gear drive model. :eek:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
5516,, would like the same thing for my bx, will have it someday. Will post when I have pictures. My L235 had it and I used it a lot.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I think some are missing my point.

#1 I love my HST and wouldn't want it any other way.
#2 I would still maintain the hand throttle for baseline RPM
#3 Throttle advance IS ON OTHER HST TRACTORS for a reason.

For example, lets say I'm clearing snow. I set my throttle at 2,200 RPM which allows me to do FEL work at a reasonable rate. I pickup a full load and need to move it across the driveway. I push down on the HST pedal all the way and as I do the throttle advances to a preset 3,000rpm allowing me to move faster for the drive. As I approach my destination I ease up on the pedal and the throttle drops back down to where my hand throttle is set, 2,200 rpm.