Thinking about pallet forks……

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That is seldom an issue for me, and a small piece of plywood against the rack would work in that situation.
My forks are at least 1-3/8" thick.
I do not keep 1-3/8 plywood on hand, and if I did it would be just another item to get on and off the tractor for.
My forks are Q/A with hydraulic lock.
I never need to leave the seat when attaching/detaching forks.
Convenience is what I prefer.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My forks are at least 1-3/8" thick.
I do not keep 1-3/8 plywood on hand, and if I did it would be just another item to get on and off the tractor for.
My forks are Q/A with hydraulic lock.
I never need to leave the seat when attaching/detaching forks.
Convenience is what I prefer.
I’m glad that you’re happy with your forks. I’m also happy with my 4000# rated forks.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I do n

I do not like this style forks!
The headrack sits several inches behind the actual forks, thus preventing a tall load
(bricks/blocks?) from having a back to rest against.
My EA forks give full headrack support.
Yeah, they work well for what I do with them but maybe not for the uses or preferences of some, which is why I posted the photos to maybe show a bit more detail than the retailer’s photos. If I ever needed a perfectly flush head rack (haven’t yet) I’d probably have to fur it out at least temporarily with a whatever thickness of wood necessary to make it flush.

I usually leave them on the platform truck in the pic so they take up approximately 6” of additional space. When they’re not there, they’re under the back of the Farmall where they take up approximately 6” of additional space. I store all my stuff inside as well and am thankful I can. If I couldn’t and I had to choose between the chipper or generator or rotary cutter or forks living outside, the forks would be living outside. If I lived in NM, some of which is a wee bit arid compared to where I live, my thoughts on outside storage might be a bit different.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have Land Pride PFL1242s that weigh 220 lbs, and they've been fine. You can get ones with more capacity, but it will make you be able to lift less. Some people will say 48s are better to full support the pallets. That hasn't been an issue for me.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
UA 42” forks SSQA full width adjustable, made in USA.I use these on my L series.

You can store the frame and forks separately they take up little space.

Good luck in your search.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Bunch of sissies are going to have a fit when they find out my BX, brush cutter and back hoe are all currently outside in the rain. Weird thing is they work perfectly when I go to use em. Shop will be by summer but seriously - rust? I hope you rinse off your truck underneath daily prior to parking…. Coz you know… rust….

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Bunch of sissies are going to have a fit when they find out my BX, brush cutter and back hoe are all currently outside in the rain. Weird thing is they work perfectly when I go to use em. Shop will be by summer but seriously - rust? I hope you rinse off your truck underneath daily prior to parking…. Coz you know… rust….
Until all the covid shortages most new equipment sat outside at the dealers year round. In the central NY ones it was buried in snow part of each year. The balls on my 3pt hitch were very rusty on my new L2501. While it and the BH77 are in my shop now other things aren't. I would like to put a shed roof along one side this year to at least keep them under cover.

Bill

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
curious, I went to TD to see the specs...
+-1000# ,at pins, full height
+-700#,500mm from pins.
From those numbers subtract forks and frame to get real payload
I don't see a real reason to buy 2000# rated unit(or more..), as a 1000# will do the job.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
+-700#,500mm from pins.
I don't see a real reason to buy 2000# rated unit(or more..), as a 1000# will do the job.
How much does the machine weigh?
+-700#,500mm from pins.
Most machines can lift the rear off the ground with the loader/hydraulics if too much load. Depending on how ‘creative’ you get with your forks there will be a lot of weight / leverage on the forks from time to time, especially if you ever use them to pry / dig. Just something to think about. Forks with SSQA can also be used again should you biggie size the machine.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
EVERYTHING STEEL RUSTS when exposed to the elements!
You like to live with rust?
I do not!
So do you only use your equipment when it is crystal clear, sunny and low humidity outside? Forks stored outside aren’t going to get anymore than a little surface rest if they aren’t used for a long time. Construction equipment and most farm equipment is not stored inside yet it survives.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: How much does the machine weigh?

Curious, Why does that matter ?

As for lifting too much. There's NO way my BX23S can lift 1000#,which is beyond the 'spec'. Heck it won't lift 5 ,24x30x2 patio stones. The hydraulics ain't got enough ,so it says 'no,too much'.
Seems most cranes and lifts have sensors and computers in them to prevent accidents from those that would abuse the machines.

on the other hand, my 40 year old forklift WILL lift 6000# even though rated for 5000#.yeah, full throttle, and it slowly does it,not real happy though.

my general comment is that there is no good reason to buy 'super ,heavy duty' forks if the machine won't require them.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

As for lifting too much. There's NO way my BX23S can lift 1000#,which is beyond the 'spec'. Heck it won't lift 5 ,24x30x2 patio stones. The hydraulics ain't got enough ,so it says 'no,too much'.
Seems most cranes and lifts have sensors and computers in them to prevent accidents from those that would abuse the machines.

on the other hand, my 40 year old forklift WILL lift 6000# even though rated for 5000#.yeah, full throttle, and it slowly does it,not real happy though.

my general comment is that there is no good reason to buy 'super ,heavy duty' forks if the machine won't require them.
Simply asked about weight as it will contribute to leverage on the front end when or if the back end lifts up.….that’s all. The BX that I had even with a ballast box on the back would still lift up. I believe that puts some extra stress on the fork tines….especially it you ever try to pry or dig with them…sometimes I do things I suspect not recommended with mine. 😀

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny

I agree Jay, I bought the LP1242 forks for my L2501 because that is about it's lifting ability, 1200lbs. Any forks weighing more is just taking away from what I can do in real work. It would be a real PITA to not be able to handle some pallets when the just a little more is tied up in dead weight.
Bill

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
The BH has never been off my BX23S, never had the rear lift off the ground with loads on the forks. Kubota seems to have 'dialed in' the BX23S for 'use' not 'abuse'..must have figured we'd try to lift 'just a little more'....
Yes, you need the proper amount of rear weight 'dialed' in for loader work. On the d-14s I use a carryall with forks to grab one of two 'weight' skids.
The A_C forklift has 4000# of cast iron 'counter weight',never had the rear lift on it either.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So do you only use your equipment when it is crystal clear, sunny and low humidity outside? Forks stored outside aren’t going to get anymore than a little surface rest if they aren’t used for a long time. Construction equipment and most farm equipment is not stored inside yet it survives.
Yup!
When it is raining I do not do any thing outside!
People who store their equipment outside long term , just do not take the best care of their equipment.
I also keep my cars in a garage when not in use!
Thankfully, my mother taught me to put my toys away at night.

Unless you have implements built of COR-TEN steel, rust is the enemy of all steel.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yeah, they work well for what I do with them but maybe not for the uses or preferences of some, which is why I posted the photos to maybe show a bit more detail than the retailer’s photos. If I ever needed a perfectly flush head rack (haven’t yet) I’d probably have to fur it out at least temporarily with a whatever thickness of wood necessary to make it flush.

I usually leave them on the platform truck in the pic so they take up approximately 6” of additional space. When they’re not there, they’re under the back of the Farmall where they take up approximately 6” of additional space. I store all my stuff inside as well and am thankful I can. If I couldn’t and I had to choose between the chipper or generator or rotary cutter or forks living outside, the forks would be living outside. If I lived in NM, some of which is a wee bit arid compared to where I live, my thoughts on outside storage might be a bit different.
I live on the high plains at the edge of the Rockies. We get about 20” of annual precipitation, split between winter snow and summer rain. No where near what you receive, but not as dry as the desert areas further south. Many of us have pipe fences that are left unpainted. After a few years, they develop a brown surface rust patina that looks like paint. In our climate they stay like this for decades but don’t rust through.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Until all the covid shortages most new equipment sat outside at the dealers year round. In the central NY ones it was buried in snow part of each year. The balls on my 3pt hitch were very rusty on my new L2501. While it and the BH77 are in my shop now other things aren't. I would like to put a shed roof along one side this year to at least keep them under cover.

Bill
I store my tractor and implements with gearboxes and ptos in the barn. Not things like my rear blade or plow.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: People who store their equipment outside long term , just do not take the best care of their equipment.

you better not get into 99.44% of all airplanes then !!

or buses, subway cars, trams,..buy used bulldozers or excavators or....

I'd need 8200 sq ft of indoor space to store my 'stuff' that's lived outside for the past 3 decades

Reactions: 1 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My B2650 loves my Martatch 42" SSQA adjustable width forks, rated 2000 lbs.

A Canadian company, though. But theis style are made in the USA too.

With 1200lb max capacity loader they are a bit oversize for capacity but I'm glad for that. I've needed to lift the tractor front off the ground and push myself out of a hole with those forks, using the curl function. I would not want a lighter set of forks on there.

The adjustable width function is a MUST.

And as for them being heavier and that "taking away" some lift capacity, a smaller set would not be much lighter, and as it stands I can hoist a 500kg tote bag full of feed up to empty it into barrels, so I'm suitably impressed. I'm not suffering from capacity loss from having slightly "oversized" ssqa forks on.

I have the forks on the tractor the most of all my front implements. My BB1560 box blade is a perfect counterweight for the loader/forks: there's always traction on the back wheels with the box on back and lifting the heaviest load my hydraulics can raise.