Thinking about an L3200/3800

hotdog

Equipment
L3200DT FEL-BH
Apr 27, 2013
Pike Co. Kentucky
Hello, new member here. I just bought a new L3200 with gear shift, It came with FEL,BH. I had to have insurance added since I financed it, but it will come in handy if damaged from a roll over or stolen. My total payback will be 24,500 Also forgot to mention that was delivered to my house from about 3 hours away. I thought that was a pretty good deal since the other two dealers I checked with wanted just as much,and didn't include delivery. I don't know where you live in Ky, but I bought mine from a dealer in W.V. and didn't have to pay sales tax. The l 3200 seems to have plenty of power,and seems to just sip fuel.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Makes sense Chim, Like I said I was just curious. I used to take my loader off until I added the QA. Now I just drop the bucket and go.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
So I've been doing some searching, reading and looking up specs on bush hogs and finish decks. I don't know what model # Taylor-Way decks were included in the "package" price that I got from Barlows, but the models I've seen on the internet have under 15K blade speeds and look fairly flimsy built. I've looked at the Land Pride RCR1260 and RCR1860 bush hogs and FDR2572 finish deck. Based on the prices I've seen online, I can just make a guess that bumping up to these models would raise that price about $2000-2500. When I first started thinking about something bigger than my JD LT155 to mow with I was thinking along $5000-7000 range haha, snowballs fast don't it :eek:

I am in a good location in KY where I can be in OH or IN in about an hours drive, it'd sure be nice to find a good deal "across the bridge", the savings in sales tax would nearly pay for the bush hog, or trailer if I chose to get one.....

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Number9, if I was going to recommend a finish mower it would be a Bushhog brand. It's not that other brands don't make a good product but my Bushhog mower has been going strong for 14 seasons and depending on the ammount of time I have for the lawn I cut up to 14 acres of grass. The only repair I've done was to the caster wheels. About 6 or 7 years ago the bushings wore out and I replaced them with bearings. The new models have 18K + blade tip speed so I'm sure the cut would be hard to beat by any other brand out there.
For a rotary cutter again I would go with a Bushhog brand. Several others make a quality cutter but IMHO you can go wrong with a Bushhog.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I spent more time agonizing about tires than any other aspect of my L3200, and got the R4s. I truly regret the choice. In 2WD, the AGs should not dig up the lawn too much - if they do, you would not want R4s anyway - they do not like mud or wet grass.
I have not yet found myself needing more HP than the L3200 delivers.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I have the L3800 with R4 tires and love it. Another thing you may want to consider are wheel spacers on the rear. They make your tractor much more stable. I bought mine from the dealer. Good luck with your decission.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Are wheel spacers a Kubota option, or an aftermarket add-on the dealer can do? How far out do they space them, and is the additional leverage on the axles hard on the components?

ColdRider

Equipment
L3800 Hst,QA fel, B7200Hst,(sold) tiller, bushhog, finish mower, snow plow blade
Jan 23, 2011
Northern Maine
I love my 3800 HST. I've had it about 3 years now and no problems.

I didn't see anyone mention that they don't have a center pto so a belly mower won't work. I have had a Kubota RC60 finish mower for at least 12 years and it is absolutely bullet proof. Very rugged and made well. I don't know who really built it for Kubota but it works great. It mounts to the rear easily and is simple to remove.

Load the tires!!! They do seem to feel light without weight in the tires and I also use a home- built weight box on the 3pt when I'm plowing snow or moving dirt etc.

It's got plenty of power and will not tear up the lawn if it's not too wet. R4's for me as a compromise. Spacers would be nice and chains for plowing but I don't really need them. Good luck and I know you will enjoy working your tractor.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I've been looking into rear wheel spacers. I see that theres a place that sells 2.5" and I think even 5" spacers for the rear and then another place on TBN that sells 2" spacers. I think I'll for sure keep the spacers in mind as something that I may add.

I've been calling around today getting quotes and it really adds up when you add specific items that these advertised package deals don't include. It's also nice to have apples-apples quote from each place I've called. I hate the tought of having a payment like a car payment, I may just buy the decks out right and finance the tractor to bring the payment down, have to think on that.

I am getting quotes for:

Kubota L3800
4x4
HST
Cruise Control
LA524-1 Loader
66" Quick Attach Bucket
R4 Tires
Rear Tires Filled

Land Pride RCR1260
Land Pride FDR1672

***Edited to correct LP Finish Deck, should have been FDR1672 instead of 2572***

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Something to think about and chew on for a while, you could save a few thousand if you went with a gear transmission over HST.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I spent more time agonizing about tires than any other aspect of my L3200, and got the R4s. I truly regret the choice. In 2WD, the AGs should not dig up the lawn too much - if they do, you would not want R4s anyway - they do not like mud or wet grass.
I have not yet found myself needing more HP than the L3200 delivers.
I'm just guessing but I bet there are many more people who feel the same after putting R4's on their tractor. I know those type tires have their place but I will never have them on one of my tractors. It would be useless to me 75% of the time.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I bought spacers, first from Kubota, then from thetrackscompany.com, an ebay seller. The Kubota spacers were less than an inch, and just put the wheels out far enough to get tire chains on them. Luckily my dealer took them back, and was good enough to make the change to the new ones for me! The ebay 2.5" spacers bring the rear width out to about 66", the width of the loader blade. Handy. You can go wider - you want all the stability you can have on the side of a hill. Filling the rear tires is great - you get about 400lbs per rear tire with R4s. I had them fill all four tires...
I always remove the loader when mowing. Then, you need traction for steering in front. Suitcase weights do not coexist with the loader. I solved the problem with a couple hundred pounds of steel hung from the bottom of the grille guard. I have a thread on it somewhere in fabrications.

Bonk

Equipment
L4600, BX2370
Apr 21, 2013
Kentucky
I've been looking into rear wheel spacers. I see that theres a place that sells 2.5" and I think even 5" spacers for the rear and then another place on TBN that sells 2" spacers. I think I'll for sure keep the spacers in mind as something that I may add.

I've been calling around today getting quotes and it really adds up when you add specific items that these advertised package deals don't include. It's also nice to have apples-apples quote from each place I've called. I hate the tought of having a payment like a car payment, I may just buy the decks out right and finance the tractor to bring the payment down, have to think on that.

I am getting quotes for:

Kubota L3800
4x4
HST
Cruise Control
LA524-1 Loader
66" Quick Attach Bucket
R4 Tires
Rear Tires Filled

Land Pride RCR1260
Land Pride FDR2572

May I ask how much you were quoted?

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I've read and talked and thought a lot about DT vs HST and I believe for me, the HST would be the best option, so that's what I'm going with.

I've called more than several dealers today, from IN, OH, TN and KY. Still have a couple more to follow up with or hear back from but so far I've got from $25,7xx + tax to $22,3xx including tax. Both of those were in my state (KY). Obviously, as it stands now the lower one would be my choice. His price for delivery was $130 as he is 75 miles away. I may be able to work him down on that if I call to do the deal. He said he could have it ready for me by this weekend.

Never imagined I'd be looking to by a farm tractor, but I'm excited as heck at the thought of getting one and getting the work I am now faced with done. If I don't get on all that mowing soo , it's gonna be armpit deep.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
One more option you should add if you haven't done it already is the telescoping stabilizers. They are worth every penny when you are using 3pt implements. They are much cheaper to add now then after you already bought the tractor. If I remember right it's only a $175 option from the Kubota site "build your own". I paid $250 for mine 10 years ago.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
One more option you should add if you haven't done it already is the telescoping stabilizers. They are worth every penny when you are using 3pt implements. They are much cheaper to add now then after you already bought the tractor. If I remember right it's only a $175 option from the Kubota site "build your own". I paid $250 for mine 10 years ago.
I plan to put a Quick Hitch on it, would I still need the stabilizers? I'll add them if so.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Personally I would want them. The factory turn buckles suck. Even using a QH you may find yourself needing to offset a implement to one side or the other. With the telescoping stabilizers it would be as easy as pulling 2 pins, sliding the implement to where you want it and putting the pins back in.

I'm not trying to spend your money, but these are very nice to have.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Thanks for the suggestion. I can see where I may want to kick a mowing deck out to one side maybe - I've asked the dealer to include those as well. He's supposed to get back with me in a bit and send me an updated email quote so I've got in writing exactly everything that I asked for and what he's charging me for it. Sounds like I may have it next week (unless he has to order the cruise or stabilizers) :D