Thinking about an L3200/3800

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Number9, I really think you will appreciate having the stabilizers in the long run. Some implements don't work with a QA and when you run into that situation you'll be ahead of the game. Alot of people have to modify implements so their QA will work. Having stabilizers make it so much easier to hook up it will make it to where you won't mind hooking your lift arms up without the QA.

Be sure to get us some pics when your new baby arrives.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
A few quick comments:

Great choice going HST in my opinion. You have infinite speed adjustment and you can keep one hand on the wheel (or suicide knob) and the other can be devoted to loader operation, sprayer wand, etc.

Had cruise control on two tractors and never used it. Some people think otherwise.

Telescoping stabilizers are great. I swapped the turnbuckles for telescoping when I bought the B7500 11 years ago. When I got the L3200 last year, I kept the telescoping stabilizers for the new tractor and put the new turnbuckles on the B7500 before waving goodbye to it. Took a small mod on the one end but that's what welders are for.

Wheel spacers - The L3200 has a pretty wide stance to start with and I didn't feel the need. It's more stable and holds on a sidehill better than my B7500 did. There's one place I mow that required 4WD when traversed with the B7500. Even then it wanted to "crab" a little if the grass was damp. The L3200 goes straight across the same area in 2WD like it was on blacktop.

The tractor is a real beast compared with the smaller machines I've owned and it's not so large in size (Wifey actually called it a "garden tractor" in a conversation with a cousin) that it's a handicap for manouvering. There's plenty of power and the loader is strong.

Attachments

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
I absolutely love my 3200 hst. haven't found a need for additional horse power yet. seems plenty capable to do what I want it to do. I briefly thought about the 3800, but didn't want to spend the additional grand. I opted to get the dealers deal on my bush hog for 1100. I had actually considered the B3200, but it just didn't feel like I thought a tractor should. It still felt like my garden lawnmower. I'm 6'4" and not light, and I just didn't fit the lower model. Sometimes being fat has it's advantages.
I didn't even think about getting gear, I have others in the family, including my wife who wouldn't drive if there wasn't automatic, and my 11 yo, who I didn't want to have a too steep learning curve.

Steve

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Dealer says he has everything ready, just waiting on the cruise to show up on the UPS truck today. Hopefully, I'll get it delivered tomorrow.

I did ask him to check and confirm the 3PH operates smoothly and doesn't bounce. Also asked him to confirm it's a 2013 tractor and he said that they aren't classified in model years, but that it was a "fresh tractor" and wasn't old inventory. He said that when I get it I can check the VIN and see when it was built if I wanted but that it was a "new" tractor. That concerns me a bit. :confused:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Dealer says he has everything ready, just waiting on the cruise to show up on the UPS truck today. Hopefully, I'll get it delivered tomorrow.

I did ask him to check and confirm the 3PH operates smoothly and doesn't bounce. Also asked him to confirm it's a 2013 tractor and he said that they aren't classified in model years, but that it was a "fresh tractor" and wasn't old inventory. He said that when I get it I can check the VIN and see when it was built if I wanted but that it was a "new" tractor. That concerns me a bit. :confused:

Normal for tractors. They are not sold or classed by year model.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Thanks for that info, I didn't know that.

Spoke to him a bit ago, cruise didn't come today :mad: Will arrive Monday (hopefully) and so I should get the tractor Tuesday. Bummer.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Normal for tractors. They are not sold or classed by year model.
Agreed, I have no idea when any of our tractors rolled off the assembly line only that they were never owned previously and had little time on the hour meter. The only time something like this might be of importance would be when there were some improvements such as with the L40 1-2-3 Series or something similar when an update was introduced in a particular year and then only marginally as the features are what's important not when it was actually assembled.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Tractor was delivered yesterday. Didn't look as big at home as it did on the lot haha. Driver laughed and told me to take a bunch cause it would never be that pretty and clean again. He said EVERYONE he delivers to does that.

I put the finish mower on it and cut all the grass and then switched to the rotary cutter and bush hogged a bunch of brush and sapplings. Both decks worked great, though I do like how the FM has 4 wheels that keeps it following the terrain vs always adjusting the RC.

When I first fired the tractor up, it seemed that the 3PTH was very bouncy, but I played with the flow knob under the seat and got it a little better. Later in the day I didn't notice it much at all, either it smoothed out or I adapted. I'll see if I notice it when I go back to it next time.

I've really got to get a quick hitch, hooking up the FM is not a big deal, but the RC is a PITA. The tractor has to be lined up just perfected or the lower arms won't swing open far enough to get on the pins because they hit against the rear tires. My local Harbor Freight said they should have a QH on the next truck on Monday. Hope so cause I am looking forward to getting one to make changing the decks easier, as well as adding a hitch receiver to it and some chain boxes on each side like I've seen others do here. I think I'll try and add a chainsaw holder on it somehow too. Not much room on the tractor to add things and it'd be nice to have it all in one spot if I can, especially since I expect that the 3PTH will be a pretty permanent fixture to the tractor once installed.

A couple things I've found that bugs me is when I step up on the tractor with my left foot and then swing my right leg across to sit down, my left foot can't spin around becasue it binds up between the fender and clutch pedal. About twisted my knee a couple times if I wasn't paying attention. Also, cranking my neck around to watch the deck or doing a lot of backing up sucks big time. My neck was sore as heck when I got done last night.

I found the tractor mows up and down along my pond like nothing and felt really good going along side slope, but the ground was a little damp and I didn't want to hit a real slick spot and slide, so just ran it backing down til the deck nearly touched the water then drove back up. I think I will end up putting some wheel spacers on it, to help a little with stability as well as keep the lower arms out of the rear tire when running them in the slotted hole so the deck can float side to side a few inches.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
A couple things I've found that bugs me is when I step up on the tractor with my left foot and then swing my right leg across to sit down, my left foot can't spin around becasue it binds up between the fender and clutch pedal. About twisted my knee a couple times if I wasn't paying attention. Also, cranking my neck around to watch the deck or doing a lot of backing up sucks big time. My neck was sore as heck when I got done last night.
Welcome to tractor life, its not always comfy but it damn sure is fun. One thing I've found to save on the kink in your neck it to sit kinda cock-eyed in the seat. Kinda twist at your butt and not the back and neck. Takes a bit of getting used to...

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
On most implements you can "reverse mount" the pins toward the inside of the implement - basically take them from pointing out to pointing in.

Helps a lot with the interference between lower arms and tires.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Welcome to tractor life, its not always comfy but it damn sure is fun. One thing I've found to save on the kink in your neck it to sit kinda cock-eyed in the seat. Kinda twist at your butt and not the back and neck. Takes a bit of getting used to...
I hate to say it but my friends JD tractor seat turns to the right so it just as easy to look out the back as it is the front.

I agree with Eric, I find myself sitting kind of sideways in my seat more than I sit in it straight.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Very nice , it looks just like mine, I got the same Land Pride bush hog also, but got the Ag tires along with the pallet forks. Congrats....

Last edited:

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Thanks!

I'm really liking and working this tractor. I've just about burned a tank of fuel already. Been bush hogging everything in sight and ain't even put a dent in all I've got to cut yet. Built my boys a jump for their little 50cc dirtbikes today. Can't wait to get a trailer hitch and brush forks rigged up. I just keep finding more stuff I need to do.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Keep that up and you'll be ready for the 50 hr service by next week. Be sure to slow down long enough to get pictures. Congrats on the tractor.

rodbuilder

Jul 22, 2012
Dixon, Ill.
Give me a call. I have a L4400 for sale! I also have several attachments you can buy for it and can get about anything you'll ever need for it. I can also deliverer it to Kentucky for you, as I live in Illinois.

LOOK AT MY POST ON IT!!

Call Phil at 815-973-8128

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Give me a call. I have a L4400 for sale! I also have several attachments you can buy for it and can get about anything you'll ever need for it. I can also deliverer it to Kentucky for you, as I live in Illinois.

LOOK AT MY POST ON IT!!

Call Phil at 815-973-8128
....and don't buy a John Deere. They're nothing but plastic junk.
Looks like he already bought a tractor...

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
Congrats on the new toy.....reminds me of when I took delivery of mine last year. You wont regret that HST. My 3200 was my first new tractor and first with HST, wont ever go back. I also have the R4's tires for the same reasons you mentioned earlier, but had them coolant filled at the dealer for the added traction. I dont have any problems with traction in agressive situations....50 hours hit me very fast, like you I was doing things I had not done with the older weaker one. Have fun!!