Thinking about a bat wing rotary cutter

JKS3613

Equipment
MX5200-FEL, Woods BB72X Cutter, Woods 72" BB
Apr 12, 2015
Zachary, LA
looking for opinions on bat wing cutters, specifically, the LandPride 12' cutter. I have 18 acres that I cut with a MX5200 and I'm looking for a way to speed up the job somewhat. The cost is outrageous (approx. 12k with the 3 needed remotes) but it would save me at least a day and a half each time I cut. Just not sure if it would be worth it and would like the opinions of others that are in a in similar situation.

thanks

JKS3613

Equipment
MX5200-FEL, Woods BB72X Cutter, Woods 72" BB
Apr 12, 2015
Zachary, LA
My thoughts exactly! I'm currently running a 6' Woods so the 12 would double my production, albeit, at a hefty premium! That's what I just can't figure out yet is would it be worth it. The mx5200 has 44 pto hp so it meets the requirements for the 12 footer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
looking for opinions on bat wing cutters, specifically, the LandPride 12' cutter. I have 18 acres that I cut with a MX5200 and I'm looking for a way to speed up the job somewhat. The cost is outrageous (approx. 12k with the 3 needed remotes) but it would save me at least a day and a half each time I cut. Just not sure if it would be worth it and would like the opinions of others that are in a in similar situation.

thanks
well - lets look at it from another point of view, IFn you were to buy another smaller tractor and had an operator to boot - it would cost you more than that!

even though the bat wing is a $$$$$ piece of equipment, one thing in life you cannot buy is TIME ......so if it takes you 8 hours (and I am making that up) and you reduce the time to four hours.....that is 4 hours saved each time you cut, and again making up numbers, you cut 4 times a month - that probably 20 cuts for you a year (guessing) so thats 80 hours of you not cutting.....

and lets say you can go through the next ten years, that is 800 hours over that time at about 15 bucks an hour......so would you pay someone to cut the time in half for 60 bucks a cutting? And if you were to ever see it, it would be worth 50% of what you paid...thus making you save precious hours and 7.5 an hour in time........

not trying to talk you into it, but at my age - time really is money, or better - time to do something else.!!:D:)

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I guess it's all subjective, but 18 acres does not seem to me to warrant a bat-wing. We mow several fields in excess of that with our 10' twin spindle and have done 20 acres with our 6 footer.

I personally would go with something like the RCR2596 or RCR2510.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a 3008 Bushhog and it does a great job but the only time it comes out of the shed is if I know I have a tight place to get in with lots of turns. Other than that I've got my batwing hooked up even if it is overkill.

I can save you some money, you only need 2 remotes (one with float) to run a batwing. That's what I have and can work the wings separate from each other and still lift the deck as well.

Unless you're just set on LP you might look at other brands. I know somebody that bought a 15' woods brand and it was $9K brand new. I priced a Modern AG 15' a while back and it was 12K. I'm with you on the LP cutters though, I would like to have a new one myself.