Think it Might be a Scam? ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey John, you bet it's a scam. But if you want to have some fun send him an email of interest. Tell him you're very interested and would like to come by and see it.

He'll have some response like, "Its located in Houston. We include shipping." He'll then proceed to explain his predicament about how he's getting transferred overseas real quick and just needs to sell his possessions. Then how you can pay for it, and how he will send to in such a way you can't be scammed because there's an escrow account protecting you.

Then tell him you have a brother who lives in the Woodlands (or any other community near by) and he'll come by to look at it.

Won't be long before he quits sending you emails!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Those fake sales adds run amuck on CL. :mad:
I've almost fallen for a few myself. :eek:

phaser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST 4x4, FEL, field mower
Aug 6, 2013
Oregon
Those fake sales adds run amuck on CL. :mad: I've almost fallen for a few myself. :eek:
Me too, and it played out just like D2Cat said.

But not all CL stuff is a scam, I bought my B7100 off CL, that advertised like a private party, but turned out to be a small dealer not far from me.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've bought 4 tractors on CL and all of them were a deal!
And I bought a lot of other things off there too, I picked up $2k worth of I beams for $100, they were just too long for him to deal with, they were 22 feet long, no problem for my 20 foot trailer.

It pays to look on CL, as where I'm at I have to go a ways to find deals most of the time.

JohnFromOKC

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 1, 2014
Oklahoma City
D2Cat - I did play with him a while. :D Asked him for a photo of the tractors "title" he claimed to have. Then he comes back with the tractor is in Nebraska and ebay will handle the transaction....divorced after 19 years and need to sell. Colorado phone - lots of these seem to come from there for some reason.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Me too, and it played out just like D2Cat said.

But not all CL stuff is a scam, I bought my B7100 off CL, that advertised like a private party, but turned out to be a small dealer not far from me.

I have bought and sold almost $50,000 of stuff on CL, cars, motorcycles, cell phones...etc....

Met some 60 people, only one that TRIED to shaft me, was a little ol' lady, wanted to give me a check($4500) and cash($500) for a car I was selling.......

I told her that I could not do it, but the next day I WOULD BE glad to go to HER bank and get it cashed, she never called me back, imagine that !

I do know that if'n when you want something, the ol green stuff in hands make em change their minds in a quick kinda way!! :D

I always look of old Kubota's, even if they are a little beat up, never know what you'll find!