Think I want a box blade

Quagmire33

Equipment
B6200-d-hst. Great bend 220 FEL
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
I'm thinking I want a box blade for my b6200. Been looking for used but can't seem to find any. Went to tractor supply and the smallest they have is a 5 footer. I think my manual says 42" is the biggest suggested for the 6200. Guess my question is, has anyone tried a 5' on a 6200 and if so how did it work? I have a friend that used to be an engineer for woods equipment and can get a 4' for cost but that is still pretty expensive. What's everyone's take on box blades ?

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I'm thinking I want a box blade for my b6200. Been looking for used but can't seem to find any. Went to tractor supply and the smallest they have is a 5 footer. I think my manual says 42" is the biggest suggested for the 6200. Guess my question is, has anyone tried a 5' on a 6200 and if so how did it work? I have a friend that used to be an engineer for woods equipment and can get a 4' for cost but that is still pretty expensive. What's everyone's take on box blades ?
It's really going to depend if you are using rippers or not. With rippers fully engaged and the blade digging also, that's a large amount of drag, so I'd assume the recommendations are based on that scenario. If you aren't going to use rippers, you can probably go with a larger blade. If you are going to use rippers and keep the blade off the ground, you might get away with a larger blade if the rippers aren't set too deep.

Otherwise, I'd stay with a smaller box and have full dig/spread/level ability and make more passes.

There are generally A LOT of used box blades on Craigslist... my area has 4 listed in just the last 2 days.

I got my Landpride one with my L3200 new and it ran me $550. It's a 4' with 4 rippers. Running in 1st gear full drag and rip, the tractor barely lugs so your unit might handle it just fine. I'd guess around $300 for a used one like that in good shape would be a fair deal.

(I run full down in 2nd gear but the L3200 works a bit harder at it, plenty of traction in 4WD though)

Your mileage may vary! :D

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Thanks for the info. I was thinking a 5' might work but I'd have to probably rip first then blade later. Or even run only a couple ripper. Your l3200 is quite a bit bigger machine than the 15hp b6200. I've been looking on craigs list but haven't seen any in my area. I've been looking in the newengland area but they seem to be few and far between. And aside from tractor supply there aren't any dealers of low cost equipment in the area. Like I said, I could get a name brand but they seem to run in the $700-800 range. I'd hate to get a 5' and be disappointed in the usability of it on my small machine.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'm going to say if you want to do any cutting/engaging work it's going to be way too big for your tractor. If you are going to spread gravel or similar, it might work ok. I'd hold out for a 4 footer.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Oh, I know it's larger but since I don't have a b6200 I don't know how 'torquey' it is. It's less about the horsepower and more about the torque so gearing plays a big role.

If you are really worried about a 4' being too large, you can just go for a naked blade and get similar results with angling the blade, but you won't be able to move as much sheer leveling dirt.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Ive been using a King Kutter 4 foot box behind my B6100 2wd for years. Depending on the task and ground conditions it feel like its either perfect and I could take a wider box other times it struggles a bit but I still manage to get the job done. If you haven't already liquid fill your tires for weight and traction.

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
I bought, what I thought and was told, a 48 inch box blade on craigslist for $200. I drove the 1.5 hours to pick it up and when I got there it was a 54 inch box blade. Regardless, for the price I put it in the truck and got out of town. I knew if it was too big, I could resell it (for more) and find another one.

I have kept it as it is in really good shape. It is all my B7100 can handle when I have a full blade of dirt or rock. I would suggest waiting for a 48 inch for you 6100. I can't imagine a bigger one on my 7100 and being able to get much work done.

Jay

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to keep searching for a used 4'. The ground I plan on working is full of rock and roots, I bet even a 4' will put my little 6200 through its paces. I also have turf tires so if horsepower isn't an issue, I'm pretty sure traction will be. Thanks again for all the knowledge.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to keep searching for a used 4'. The ground I plan on working is full of rock and roots, I bet even a 4' will put my little 6200 through its paces. I also have turf tires so if horsepower isn't an issue, I'm pretty sure traction will be. Thanks again for all the knowledge.
Ya, a box on turf tires sounds like a recipe for grinding down turf tire rubber! :eek:

However, you can counter that with chains when you use the box, so don't be too worried about it. Definitely weighted tires or weight on the rear axle. If you don't have 4wd, it's going to make pulling that box even harder. As you can tell I'm not overly familiar with the B6200, beyond seeing one... ;)

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
I do have chains for the rear and it is four wheel drive so hopefully it'll be ok. Only had the tractor for a few days and I have big plans. I think I'm stuck on a box blade because it seems that it'll do the most for the money. Seems to me that it's the most versatile tool for the 3 point hitch. Can use it as a ripper, a grader, a push blade, excellent ballast while using the loader.... Etc. hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Was trying to post a pic but can't figure it out on my phone. Have some in my pictures in my profile.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
You are right it is a versitile tool, it's my default implement. I take it off to put something else on for a specific job, then I put it back on.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Ordered one today. Should be in next week. It's a hawse (never heard of it) 4' with 4 rippers, specs say it weighs 404 lbs. hope I'm happy with it.

buckaroo52

Equipment
Kubota L 3800 DT
Jun 5, 2013
Molalla, Oregon
Hawse makes very descent equipment for the $ you won't be disappointed with it. I don't believe your tractor can hurt it, and the size is perfect for your use. Work smarter, not harder, your tractor will thank you and last longer. Good choice !

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Thanks. I hope I like it. Seems comparable to others I've researched. I just happened to be driving by an Agway, saw they had some 3 point equipment. So I stopped in to ask about a box blade. He said he has a truck coming from hawse with a mower and if he ordered it now it should be here by Tuesday. He even said if I didn't like it once I saw it he was fine with keeping it in his building stock. So Eventhough I ordereded it, I don't need to feel pressured if its a piece of tinny junk. But at 400# it should be a pretty stout piece. The tough part now is waiting.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
bought this guy today. Still have to buy a top link and wait for the rain to stop to go try it out. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Yes, 48" and it works great behind my b6200. With the rippers down and a mostly full box and turf tires it pulls pretty well through this rooty rocky ground. If I fill the front bucket with the rocks I pull up, the added weight on the front tires really helps hold the tractor to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTC01

Nov 3, 2011
IN, USA
Never heard of that brand but it looks great!!

I have a BX25 with R4 tires, no fluid or weights. I bought a 1554 Land Pride (54") last summer and the size is just right. The only time traction becomes an issue is when I have the rippers down with stone/dirt spilling over the back of the box.

Todd

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
I thought traction would be an issue with the turf tires but so far it hasn't been. While dragging back and forth I pick up the rocks and put them in the FEL. That seems to help a lot. I actually stalled the tractor Sunday while pulling on a stump. Tires never spun. I did have a bucket full of rocks and the diff lock on. But so far I've been very happy with my purchase and would recommend a box blade to anyone looking to get one. It almost feels like I could have gone bigger than the 4 footer, but again, I'm very happy with what I have.