There is one thing I despise about kubota, part pricing

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I like to hear him complain. I feel similarly. If issues cant be discussed honestly here the site loses credibility. It is what it is.
Issues can be discussed honestly and openly here, but part of that is the freedom to tell someone to "get real" or "wake up", or to simply see things from a different perspective. There are so many new owners, and old owners, who have totally unrealistic expectations of what use and ownership should be. Understanding that what bothers you might not bother someone else, or what's important to you might not be important to someone else, and sometimes coming at a problem from a different perspective can be a good thing.

As I said above, if the only problem this tractor has or has ever had is a slow steering valve leak, then even at $1,300 this is a good thing. This is not a new tractor that's one week out of warranty. This is a relatively high hour, "old" tractor that has and continues to serve well. Additionally, we have no idea as to how this tractor has been used or stored.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Issues can be discussed honestly and openly here, but part of that is the freedom to tell someone to "get real" or "wake up", or to simply see things from a different perspective. There are so many new owners, and old owners, who have totally unrealistic expectations of what use and ownership should be. Understanding that what bothers you might not bother someone else, or what's important to you might not be important to someone else, and sometimes coming at a problem from a different perspective can be a good thing.

As I said above, if the only problem this tractor has or has ever had is a slow steering valve leak, then even at $1,300 this is a good thing. This is not a new tractor that's one week out of warranty. This is a relatively high hour, "old" tractor that has and continues to serve well. Additionally, we have no idea as to how this tractor has been used or stored.
Your admonishment is shortsighted methinks.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Your admonishment is shortsighted methinks.
It might well be to you, but perhaps not to someone else, and certainly not to me.

This reminds me of TWWT and his hit piece about a Kubota LX3310 with a RhinoAg TS10 Flex-Wing. He starts out with the objective of painting Kubota in a bad light becuase he pushes John Deere products. The entire video is about all of the Kubota design issues that prevented him from being able to attach and run the TS10 without addressing the fact that Land Pride doesn't make or sell a folding cutter for the LX series. It's not Kubota's job to make their tractors work with every implement on the market. It's the implement manufacturer's job to figure out how to design their products to work with the tractors owned by the customeres they're targeting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Over the years I've purchased a few old Kubotas, fixed them up, sold them and made a nice profit. I never had problems getting the parts needed, but they did not need to be in pristine condition. The goal was a good, solid, working machine.

It's the tractors that get set aside because the owner does not want to find parts or repair items that eventually make a purchase a bargain. It's what makes the world go around!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Just ordered a big chunk of plastic for my new-to-me tractor from my local dealer. While ~$300 is a lot for a 13-lb piece of plastic, I think it was reasonable enough in today's inflation-driven market. Ordered 15 other little odds and ends as well, and thought the same thing. Not cheap, but I didn't feel like I was getting ripped off anymore than if I had gone down to my local Chevy or Toyota dealer and ordered similar parts. Now, ordering a new set of wheels and tires from there left me flabbergasted at how CHEAP they were. Really, $500 for a set of front and rear R4 wheels and tires, already mounted? Hard to beat that. In the end, it's simple supply and demand as mentioned above.

$300 chunk of plastic:
Very pretty too!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you think that parts for a Kubota are expensive wait till you need a new part to replace your old worn-out hip joint. They don't quite charge an arm and a leg for it, but they will rip your leg out of the socket to get to the worn-out part. Then you will get a piece of high-priced titanium that is supposed to be machined to perfection. They will install it with a plastic lining, and screw it all together. If you are not happy with the results, and you complain, you are told to find another human mechanic for the other side. Just like what happened to OrangePower, you will be blacklisted!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you think that parts for a Kubota are expensive wait till you need a new part to replace your old worn-out hip joint. They don't quite charge an arm and a leg for it, but they will rip your leg out of the socket to get to the worn-out part. Then you will get a piece of high-priced titanium that is supposed to be machined to perfection. They will install it with a plastic lining, and screw it all together. If you are not happy with the results, and you complain, you are told to find another human mechanic for the other side. Just like what happened to OrangePower, you will be blacklisted!
I am just about to complete internal "repair",..... without internal access.
I have no idea if it really does work, but somebody sold my healthcare insurance provider on it, and at 83, I sprung for it.

Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment.
60 two hour sessions in a pressurized oxygen vessel ( concept similar to diver decompression )
VERY pricey!

It is supposed to grow new cells, in any area needing same.
A major PITA, driving to medical center 5 days each week, for 12 weeks.
Treatment was prescribed for bladder radiation damage.

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
my complaint is NOT with the valve, i am more then willing fix the valve, i figure i will fix it at the end of the mowing season and i will get away with around $300 cost..... i got really annoyed when i found out how much that plastic fender costs. it just seems to me like the machine is eventually doomed by high replacement part costs. the tractor has been a good little workhorse but i was hoping to get quite a few more years out of it, perhaps decades. i do maintain my tractor. i use only kubota super UDT fluid (i buy it by the 5 gallon container). i have changed it twice in the time i have owned the tractor. i have changed the air cleaner twice and oil change seasonally.

this machine, so far has been very reliable and im not complaining about the quality of the machine. i was thinking about doing a "restoration", replacing worn body peices..... well not at those prices. the fender had a couple of bad cracks which i had repaired at the collision shop that will do an odd job for me. it's starting to crack where the fender meets the floor board. i am willing to put money into the tractor, but not $2k for a piece of plastic.

wished i could get a decent used metal fender and make it work

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
what is considered high hours for a BX? i was thinking a diesel tractor should last 4K hours or more. BTW i store this tractor inside, i power wash the underside of the deck every time i mow. the underneath of the deck is extremely solid. i try to take care of this thing like i will never replace it. i would bet i change the oil with less then 60 hours between changes. it runs and operates like new, and i was hoping to bring it back cosmetically. it's probably not worth doing that. it's not terrible cosmetic shape but it is showing it's age.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
are you confident they are quoting you on the right part?
are you a regular client with a good relationship with your selling/servicing dealer?

maybe this is not what you are looking for but if it is my parts supplier shows a little more than U$500 clams shipping included.

K2561-41510 Steering Valve,
BX Series

This new replacement steering valve for the BX series tractors

1715471116777.jpeg

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
are you confident they are quoting you on the right part?
are you a regular client with a good relationship with your selling/servicing dealer?

maybe this is not what you are looking for but if it is my parts supplier shows a little more than U$500 clams shipping included.

K2561-41510 Steering Valve,
BX Series

This new replacement steering valve for the BX series tractors

View attachment 128128
Me thinks the OP is really looking for a fender!
In post #28 he states that he plans to fix the valve.
He was quoted fender cost at $2,000.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
There was an updated reinforcement that was made available to remedy the break at the floor pan. Not all tractors got the repair only those that asked. Check with the dealer for the service bulletin and parts might still be available.

ad356

May 17, 2019
north java ny
i installed the bracing that goes underneath the fender, i bought the kit. the tractor didnt have that bracing when i bought it, and the fender broke. the damage had already been done. i have been dealing with alexander equipment, the dealer i bought the tractor from used in 2018. the steering valve i was quoted $1,200 and a fender would be $2,000. if the parts were reasonable, then i would be very satisfied with this tractor. i would simply like to take care of this machine and keep it for a long time. this tractor fills all of my needs, and i do not need the latest and greatest shiny paint. i think the actual capabilities havent changed allot, just some nicer convenience features that i can do without. i paid this thing OFF years ago. is it good tractor? very much so, and i expect things will need to be serviced.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'm still struggling as to why the fender needs replacing at all. What functionality of the machine is impeded? It's not going to end up with the machine not "lasting for 4K hours." It's just going to have a broken fender, which is purely cosmetic.

Good news is that if it bothers you a lot, you can probably sell it for good money, because most people wouldn't care about the fender. Then you can buy one without a broken fender (I'd recommend a different model than the BX2350, as that was the only plastic one - you can go older or newer). It wouldn't cost you much to change it, and you'll be happy. The buyer of yours will also be happy, they got a low hour machine that's mechanically sound. With a broken fender that they don't mind.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
this tractor fills all of my needs, and i do not need the latest and greatest shiny paint. i think the actual capabilities havent changed allot, just some nicer convenience features that i can do without.
Out of interest, have you priced a replacement tractor new or used? I would think that a B2301 is somewhat comparable and a new one with a loader and nothing else will cost around $23k. As you say, what would a new one that isn't paid off do better than your B2650? Probably not much. Given the cost of things these days you're in a good position since your tractor "fills all of" your needs.

You have a well maintained, low hour tractor that is a known entity and you don't have to do anything to it in order to use it. You could call Messicks and see if they have any creative ideas re another steel fender that might fit. Maybe a local welding/fabricating shop could make you a replacement set that will last your lifetime.

Like I said, it sounds like you're well ahead in the game having a good tractor that's paid off and was probably reasonable priced at the time.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Out of interest, have you priced a replacement tractor new or used? I would think that a B2301 is somewhat comparable and a new one with a loader and nothing else will cost around $23k. As you say, what would a new one that isn't paid off do better than your B2650? Probably not much. Given the cost of things these days you're in a good position since your tractor "fills all of" your needs.

You have a well maintained, low hour tractor that is a known entity and you don't have to do anything to it in order to use it. You could call Messicks and see if they have any creative ideas re another steel fender that might fit. Maybe a local welding/fabricating shop could make you a replacement set that will last your lifetime.

Like I said, it sounds like you're well ahead in the game having a good tractor that's paid off and was probably reasonable priced at the time.
I believe his tractor is actually a BX2350. So the replacement would be a newer BX. But there are a lot of BX models between a BX2350 and the current BX2380. There's a BX2360, BX2370 and BX2370-1, then the BX2380.

A lot of parts are interchangeable, I put a loader from a BX2370 on my BX2350 when I had it. But it's expensive putting new parts on an old tractor, generally better to replace the tractor if you can.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am somewhat sympathetic to the OP, but in reality, "parts" across the board are rising fast, and competition from "online stores" has changed the landscape of "parts stores" forever. I don't think this is a Kubota or even a "tractor" phenomenon.

Being somewhat of a "weekend warrior" mechanic, I deal with the local O'rielly's a bit ,and their prices are usually double or triple the online guys like Detroit Axle or Amazon.

Hell, last year I needed a sensor for my wife van. O"Riellys wanted $120 for it. Amazon had it on my doorstep the next day for $15 +$2.99 for "same day" delivery. Tough to compete with that.

Just yesterday I called Oriellys for rear pads and rotors for the wifes van. $215.......Detroit Axle will drop them off this Tuesday for $92.

I will say this though, dealers have historically been at the top of the pricing list, so I am not too surprised at the OP's "sticker shock".

It's pretty much like this

Dealers........most expensive . (almost ridiculous sometimes) ......somewhat convenient

Local Parts stores..............2nd most expensive, but pretty convenient.

Online stores....................Cheapest, but least convenient.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, cornfused again...
Is your tractor a B2350D ? If so, Messicks lists a COMPLETE 'fender' for $2300 US$, but I can't easily see JUST the fender 'shell' ( no handles, stickers, etc.
NO listing of a B2350D in CDN website, and of course I can't access the USA site......for a rediculous, stupid reason.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in profile-about)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
I wonder if Lamborghini and Ferrari owners do the same things? :unsure:
Actually, they do. A small $11 Ford marker light cover (front, side, with Ford logo on it) retails for $180 at the Lambo dealer. Lots of other existing OEM parts for standard vehicles are researched and cataloged for what is/isn't Lamborghini. Koenigsegg is the only luxury manufacturer with all in- house parts.

We're not buying luxury cars though; however it is kind of like buying a luxury tractor. Cub Cadet was the most basically built tractor other than Bollens that I know of; Bollens was poor quality (when last I saw it) and Cub Cadet is shut down. So there's no one answer.

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
If you really want a replacement fender, buy it now. I am finding things I wanted 2 years ago and put off buying are 20% or more higher in price now. Inflation is a terrible thing for everyone and the cost associated to inventory low quantity specialized parts is not just a Kubota problem.
My car insurance just went up almost 30% and when I called to ask why they said replacement OEM parts costs have tripled and they have to pass it on to customers. I checked around and it's not just my insurer. Almost 2k for a little plastic replacement tail light for my truck doesn't make sense to me either but that's reality these days.

• Love