The right equipment to move snow??

bobs

Oct 14, 2012
Wilmington, DE
I am moving to Vermont and purchasing a place that includes a 23 hp, diesel, FWD, Kubota with a 60" snow blower that looks like it is going to be great.

According to the current owner, the problem is that the county plows the road and leaves the bank of snow across the driveway entrance. Apparently you can clean it out, without breaking too many shear pins, if you take your time, but I am wondering if there isn't a better way.

Can I put a push blade on the back that I could use to break up and push this out of the way?

Other suggestions?

Scottinvt

Equipment
Bx2350
Sep 19, 2012
Rutland,VT
Living in Vermont also ( near Killington ) the banks created are easy to snow blow through if you can get to it fairly soon after the plow. I just take a small portion and work my way slowly through it. I have a bx2350 and it works very well !!! Welcome to VT !!

bobs

Oct 14, 2012
Wilmington, DE
Thanks for the info. I am still a little nervous just based on the comments of the current owner.

Just out of curiosity -- how much snow do you need before the county starts plowing?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Do you know what model tractor you are getting?
Lots of folks use a blade on the back- is your blower front or rear mounted? If it's rear mounted, it will be a pain switching out implements in the cold. We don't get as much snow as you do, I would imagine, but the state still plows the driveway shut, and usually when the stuff is laden with chemicals, slushy, and full of pea gravel. Once it is bermed up, it freezes like a rock overnight. So, I stay ahead of it. I keep the driveway blown or plowed as its snowing, before it accumulates a lot. I also clear the end of the driveway out to the other side of the road, so when the plow goes by my entrance, there is very little material to get pushed onto my driveway entrance. An ounce of prevention.

Yoda 7030

Equipment
1990 M7030. Front loader, back hoe, snowblower, discer, 3 furrow plough,
Oct 14, 2012
Walters Falls, Ontario
Hodge has the best advice so far. I live in Ski Country up in Ontario and we get quite a bit of snow. I live on a back road but it's plowed on a regular basis. Even with an M7030 I try to stay ahead of the game. I even blow down the road so by the time the plough gets to my drive ways, there is not much left for me to deal with .... In the case where I can't get ahead of the game and it's four feet deep and ten feet into the driveway, the extra HP really takes care of things..... Maybe look at a larger tractor? Used ones provide pretty good value thses days... .

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I stay so far ahead of the game I'm ususally down to asphault road long before the county trucks come threw and open up the neighborhood. I get out there with my tractor and clean streets in the hood just to keep whats left of my sanity and gets me out and gives me something to do.

You could get a blade depending on your set up and keep the driveway open or actually clear the street infront of your house so when the truck does come there wont be anything atleast the length of your property line to plow.

half_full

Equipment
B2320
May 18, 2012
Williamston, MI
I'm here to read and learn. So my question, and I know we need more info from the OP.
If the blower is rear mount would a FEL not be very useful in snow removal at the end of the drive?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I'm here to read and learn. So my question, and I know we need more info from the OP.
If the blower is rear mount would a FEL not be very useful in snow removal at the end of the drive?
Yep, that's what some folks do.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yea bob there is I will give you my push blade and take that darned old blower off your hands that way you aint gota worry about any shear pins down time and the like,,, See we are always ready to help around here:D

Scottinvt

Equipment
Bx2350
Sep 19, 2012
Rutland,VT
Bob, they plow about 2" or more, problem being the driveway entrances get hard as a rock soon. My bx2350 with my front mount blower does a great job and chains are a must or a weight box. Good luck moving here in Vermont !!

bobs

Oct 14, 2012
Wilmington, DE
Do you know what model tractor you are getting?
Lots of folks use a blade on the back- is your blower front or rear mounted? If it's rear mounted, it will be a pain switching out implements in the cold. We don't get as much snow as you do, I would imagine, but the state still plows the driveway shut, and usually when the stuff is laden with chemicals, slushy, and full of pea gravel. Once it is bermed up, it freezes like a rock overnight. So, I stay ahead of it. I keep the driveway blown or plowed as its snowing, before it accumulates a lot. I also clear the end of the driveway out to the other side of the road, so when the plow goes by my entrance, there is very little material to get pushed onto my driveway entrance. An ounce of prevention.
It is a 2350 with a front mounted snow blower.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Yea bob there is I will give you my push blade and take that darned old blower off your hands that way you aint gota worry about any shear pins down time and the like,,, See we are always ready to help around here:D
Skeets is always ready to help a friend in need :D

My bx2350 with my front mount blower does a great job and chains are a must or a weight box. Good luck moving here in Vermont !!
With my BX24 I usually run with my front blade or snowblower and rear blade. I have R4 tires with beat juice in the rear tires and chains are not needed. I live on a hill and travel down to help my neighbors out during the winter. But thats just me

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
One issue to consider when one talks about breaking shear bolts is to understand which one. On a two stage blower, which most are, there would be one for the auger and another on the pto shaft. Which one is breaking?
People often fail to replace the shear bolts with the correct grade (strength) and buy a handful of the cheapest bolts which will fit.
Grade 5 in SAE or imperial bolts (3/8" for example) is a much tougher bolt than a non graded bolt. Going too high in strength, say grade 8 is a mistake and may break the blower.
Please try and provide more details to the forum.
Dave p

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
You got some great answers here. You will have no problem if you get out there before the truck goes bye. Last year I never plow once but the year before we had 138 inches . I now have a M7040 to go with my BX2230.

Welcome to VERMONT

David Pidgeon
New Haven, Vermont

Attachments

bobs

Oct 14, 2012
Wilmington, DE
Thanks for all the comments.

I am getting a BX2350 with a front blower. I was thinking that a blade on the back would help push the hard stuff and break it up.

I will probably wait to see how it goes before I make a move to buy anything else.

bobs

Oct 14, 2012
Wilmington, DE
One issue to consider when one talks about breaking shear bolts is to understand which one. On a two stage blower, which most are, there would be one for the auger and another on the pto shaft. Which one is breaking?
People often fail to replace the shear bolts with the correct grade (strength) and buy a handful of the cheapest bolts which will fit.
Grade 5 in SAE or imperial bolts (3/8" for example) is a much tougher bolt than a non graded bolt. Going too high in strength, say grade 8 is a mistake and may break the blower.
Please try and provide more details to the forum.
Dave p
That is good info about he bolts. The ones I am getting with the blower came from a John Deere dealer and I assumed (bad thing to do) you just asked for shear bolts.

The blower has three shear bolts -- basically one at each end of the main reel and one on the shaft that goes to the gear box that drives the reel. At least that's what my memory says.

andre53

Equipment
GR2120, 54" Mower, GR2728 Snowblower
Jun 30, 2012
East Aurora, NY
After living on a country road for over 20 years in snow country near Buffalo, NY, my tractor mounted snowblower has always been able to bust thru the snow pile left by the plows. Note: All of our town plows are equipped with wing plows so they push alot of snow into the empty spaces created by driveways. My advice is this.

1. Always have spare shear pins on hand.
2. If possible, snowblow an unloading zone for the plow upstream of your drive before a major storm hits. i.e. cut into the snow bank 12"-18" deep by 20-25 feet long. This cut allows the wing plow to unload a significant amount of snow before your drive opening and really reduces what ends up at the end of the drive.
3. Mark the edge of the road with 3-4 reflectors on fiberglass rods for 50 feet on both sides of your drive. This really helps the plow driver find the "edge" of the road. This will also help save your mailbox! Most of our plowing gets done at around 5 am in the dark.
4. If you live close to your town garage and you really want to score points with the plow drivers, drop off a gallon of coffee and a box of donuts from Tim Hortons some morning during snow season... with a thank you note with your name & address. You will be surprised at the extra care that results.

So that's all I got. Good luck this season.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
After living on a country road for over 20 years in snow country near Buffalo, NY, my tractor mounted snowblower has always been able to bust thru the snow pile left by the plows. Note: All of our town plows are equipped with wing plows so they push alot of snow into the empty spaces created by driveways. My advice is this.

1. Always have spare shear pins on hand.
2. If possible, snowblow an unloading zone for the plow upstream of your drive before a major storm hits. i.e. cut into the snow bank 12"-18" deep by 20-25 feet long. This cut allows the wing plow to unload a significant amount of snow before your drive opening and really reduces what ends up at the end of the drive.
3. Mark the edge of the road with 3-4 reflectors on fiberglass rods for 50 feet on both sides of your drive. This really helps the plow driver find the "edge" of the road. This will also help save your mailbox! Most of our plowing gets done at around 5 am in the dark.
4. If you live close to your town garage and you really want to score points with the plow drivers, drop off a gallon of coffee and a box of donuts from Tim Hortons some morning during snow season... with a thank you note with your name & address. You will be surprised at the extra care that results.

So that's all I got. Good luck this season.
That's awesome! I know that they get paid for what they do, but their jobs are long, tedious, and risky- showing some consideration for them is a great thing to do.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Hey bobs Im still waiting for you to let me know when I can pick that junk snow blower up:D