Thanks YouTube

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
How many projects, problems have you looked up on YouTube? I am on a Lincoln MKC forum and a there were discussions about "swollen lug nuts". This was a foreign subject to me, had never heard of such a thing. Wasn't a lug nut supposed to be an indestructible piece of the wheel since you used heavy duty tools; lug wrench, impact tools, etc. on them? What they use on a lot of Lincoln and Ford vehicles were nice looking 2 part lug nuts, soft metal covering a nut and that covering would malform from environment and use of tools on it when changing and rotating tires. Went to check torque on mine, had to replace a damaged tire, and found that I could not get a socket on one nut. I checked YouTube and found all kinds of remedies for removing a damaged lug nut. I used a 3/4" 12 pt deep socket, tapped it on and used a breaker bar and cheater to remove it. Decided to replace all 20 lug nuts with a one piece aftermarket product, discovered that about 75% of the lugs I took off had some wear.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
How many projects, problems have you looked up on YouTube? I am on a Lincoln MKC forum and a there were discussions about "swollen lug nuts". This was a foreign subject to me, had never heard of such a thing. Wasn't a lug nut supposed to be an indestructible piece of the wheel since you used heavy duty tools; lug wrench, impact tools, etc. on them? What they use on a lot of Lincoln and Ford vehicles were nice looking 2 part lug nuts, soft metal covering a nut and that covering would malform from environment and use of tools on it when changing and rotating tires. Went to check torque on mine, had to replace a damaged tire, and found that I could not get a socket on one nut. I checked YouTube and found all kinds of remedies for removing a damaged lug nut. I used a 3/4" 12 pt deep socket, tapped it on and used a breaker bar and cheater to remove it. Decided to replace all 20 lug nuts with a one piece aftermarket product, discovered that about 75% of the lugs I took off had some wear.
Those lug nuts have been a b###h for years. Still don’t get why they haven’t went to a one piece design. Oh wait, they aren’t the ones trying to get the damn tire off!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
None of my vehicles have those style lug nuts with the pretty chrome sleeve over them, those are junk! ;)

Traderdell

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, BX2370 (sold)
Apr 29, 2016
Clifton Springs,NY
To answer your question...Just yesterday I was trying to connect the PTO shaft on a new rotary cutter, no love. Checked out a YouTube video by Tractor Mike, found the answer to my dilemma and just like that I was in business.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I watched Chucky2009 and taught myself how to stick metal pieces together. I wouldn't call myself a "welder" but, nothing has fallen apart and I am having fun.

When I did injectors on my '99 4Runner, I hit a link on YouTube and saw the project before I started.

I recently posted two YouTube pages on changing air filter and cabin filters as well as an oil change on my wife's SUV. That model is just coming off warranty and nobody has started doing the work themselves. So, I did it and posted how to do it. Gotta give back you know.

YouTube is a great example of "community" coming together and how the World could be. Too bad they are skewing search results in the name of politics and censoring voices that they don't agree with. If they keep that up, YouTube will be the new MySpace and find themselves replaced by a truly open community.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Those two piece lug nuts have been in use for a lot longer than Ford / Lincoln have been using them. Plain, exposed lug nuts will rust or corrode and not look pretty. However, a stainless steel or chromed thin piece of metal over a plain lug nut makes it look very pretty. It's too expensive to use SS for the entire lug. My 1992 Range Rover used this method, and the lug nut size was 1 and 1/8" socket.

Anyway, hope you get your Lincoln squared away. We're on our 3rd - two MKS sedans (3.5L EcoBoost w/ AWD) and now an MKX with the 2.7L EcoBoost. Lincoln is a little under-appreciated, but they are very nice cars.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have had to deal with them on a regular basis. Today as a matter of fact. Worn out sockets and overtightening are the two most common causes.
When installing lug nuts i run them up snug and hand torque with a
Good torque wrench. No exceptions. I will also give the inside of the nut a shot of fluid film to combat corrosion. It will wick in and slow down the corrosion.
I cant imagine how many of those fallen apart nuts i have had to deal with in myyears as a technician...

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
And as far as youtube goes,
Chucky2009 is a putz. A good welder but should not be allowed to pull wrenches
Right along with scotty and his horrible and sometimes dangerous advice.
South main auto is an awesome channel.
I use ford tech macalucko
And 1Aauto for right to the point repairs.