Testing the fence, again

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just to bring everybody up to speed due to lightning strike I had to replace my fence controller. I had been wanting to go bigger so I went from a 50 mi. 2 joule up to the 200 mi. 16 joule Zareba. I went ahead and added the 2nd 8' ground rod and even ran a 3 wire cord (all Hot) over to the first group of disconnects. Zareba claims this model to be the most powerfull American made charger on the market.
I have seen it when the cows get close and it really knocks them into next week. A few days ago I witnessed about a 800lb steer just get within inches of the wire and it almost took him to his knees when it arced off his wet nose. The most impressive to me is one span of fence about 75' long that when I use lot 5 for my heifers and the bull is on the other side of the creek they can get nose to nose at the fence. 2 strands of hot wire is all that stands between horny bulls and hot little heifers. So far the bulls just have a damn it look on their face and pace the fence.

Anyway, a while back the wife kind of got in the fence and found out the hard way it bites hard. We both have been in the other fence several times and she said the new one was much worse than ever before. Well tonight when we left the pasture she was going to hook the spring gates and somehow got in the wire. I guess the first time she didn't have a good ground and failed to get a full dose. Not the case this time though. It made her entire hand swell like a bad bee sting and there was a burn line all the way up her arm with a bruise at the top of her shoulder where I guess the charge jumped out. It wasn't quite as bad as the "I beg to differ story" where the guy pissed, crapped and puked all at the same time. She did get sick several times and said this pain was worse than child birth. I know my days are numbered before I get mine but for know I'll simply take her word for it and believe that it sux.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
ahhh yup its gona happen and please what ever you do, don't do like some we all know and do like I, err he did an wiz on it,,,, I had an old unit they called the BURNER,, that son of a gun would burn grass stems off the leaned against the fence around the garden, you could hear it TICK TICK TICK about 100 yards away

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Skeets my friend, you know what a hotdog looks like when you leave it in the microwave to long and the end splits open.
I have a strong feeling that would about be the results with this fence. I don't want to know, hope I never know or even hear about it being done. It's been close to 18 hrs since it happened and wifey can just now bend her finger some. Last night it was straight out and stiff as a board.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You are lucky it was your wife that got bit like that and not some stranger. With injuries like that which sounds like she got electrical burns, they could come after you for damages. You may want to put up some warning signs if you are near people to warn them and cover your a##.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well that happened about 50 years ago, and yes it was as stiff as a board, thank gawd the old battery was not fully charged,,lol ,,, And yes I have seen some fences that do infact carry signs warning of electrical shock,,, I how ever have no desire to test one again

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You are lucky it was your wife that got bit like that and not some stranger. With injuries like that which sounds like she got electrical burns, they could come after you for damages. You may want to put up some warning signs if you are near people to warn them and cover your a##.
I don't think the wife feels lucky :mad: but I know what you mean. You do bring up a good point about the signs which I do have some in place but the entire farm has POSTED signs so by the laws eyes there shouldn't be anybody wondering around anyway. A couple of months back I did have someone cut my outer fence trying (I assume) to get to one of my ponds to fish. Problem is where they cut the fence I had just ran 4 strands of high tensile hot wire in between where they were and the pond. From what I can tell it was done at night and from the looks of the ground they did some strange dancing before they retreated back up the hill to safety. I'm pretty sure they never made it to the pond . :D

Sterno

Equipment
Kubota B6100D, B7100HST, Ber-Vac S51 3PT Snowblower, Kubota A450
Dec 9, 2012
Summerland, British Columbia
It made her entire hand swell like a bad bee sting and there was a burn line all the way up her arm with a bruise at the top of her shoulder where I guess the charge jumped out.
I've seen injuries like this from high-voltage burns, working on radio towers.
The electricity can flow through the tendon sheath (better conductor) in the arm and cause internal burns. Be wary of numb or tingling fingers as well as pain moving them.

A fence is unlikely to put out enough energy to do this but I'd get it checked out just to be sure.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't think it did any real damage except to her pride. Mental, it a woman so enough said about that.

According to my tester it flashes about 7500 - 8000 watts depending on how wet the soil is where I stick the ground probe. I haven't got into this one yet and I hope I don't but I figure it's just a matter of time before I get bit as well.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
:eek:Well one thing for sure you aint got to worry about any grass shorting the fence out