Swapping a v-1505-e with a d1503

Arp4570

Apr 15, 2020
Philadelphia tn usa
Does anyone know if these engines can easily be swapped out the 1505 is out of a b2910 and the d1503 is out of a l3010 thanks for any information you can give me.

Dirtboi55

Equipment
Kubota L3301 Hst
Jan 26, 2020
Tijeras,New Mexico
I don't know anything about your v-1505-e to D1503, But I just swapped my Blown D1803 L3301 HST motor with an E-Bay Bought D1803 motor out of who knows what. I called every Kubota dealer from Arizona to Michigan and no one could tell me what a (Kubota P/N 1J497-10000) engine goes to. This engine was Brand Spanking New, $4200.00 Delivered. I did this change over in my spare time on the weekends. I spent 4 months on it. I had to change out a Ton of stuff though. I had to change the bell housing, fly wheel, pilot bearing, exhaust manifold, exhaust manifold stud bolts, egr cooler, egr tube, front timing gear cover, fuel pump cam, oil filter/oil cooler assembly, thermostat/gooseneck water inlet, air intake throttle body, oil pan, oil pump pick up tube, hormonic balancer, starter, all the brackets and hoses, Fuel injectors, and more.

It was actually quite a fun project, Prefect for a winter project. The engine from E-bay came with a Turbo charger. Maybe next winter I might try to scab that thing onto my tractor and have a 45 horsepower L3301 HST.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I don't know anything about your v-1505-e to D1503, But I just swapped my Blown D1803 L3301 HST motor with an E-Bay Bought D1803 motor out of who knows what. I called every Kubota dealer from Arizona to Michigan and no one could tell me what a (Kubota P/N 1J497-10000) engine goes to. This engine was Brand Spanking New, $4200.00 Delivered. I did this change over in my spare time on the weekends. I spent 4 months on it. I had to change out a Ton of stuff though. I had to change the bell housing, fly wheel, pilot bearing, exhaust manifold, exhaust manifold stud bolts, egr cooler, egr tube, front timing gear cover, fuel pump cam, oil filter/oil cooler assembly, thermostat/gooseneck water inlet, air intake throttle body, oil pan, oil pump pick up tube, hormonic balancer, starter, all the brackets and hoses, Fuel injectors, and more.

It was actually quite a fun project, Prefect for a winter project. The engine from E-bay came with a Turbo charger. Maybe next winter I might try to scab that thing onto my tractor and have a 45 horsepower L3301 HST.

How much did the whole thing set you back? Engine cost + bellhousing + shaft(s) + pilot bearing + exhaust manifold + studs + egr cooler + gearcase cover + thermostat housing + water inlet + air intake + throttle body +brackets +pulley/balancer + injectors + etc? What was the total cost?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea not worth even considering all the issues with all of the differences!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

What happened to the L3301 engine? Or is that a sore subject?

Dirtboi55

Equipment
Kubota L3301 Hst
Jan 26, 2020
Tijeras,New Mexico
I would say all total I put close to another $1000.00 dollars against the $4200.00 new motor. Most of the parts I just had to remove from the original motor and install onto the new motor. The only thing that I was able to use from the new motor was the engine block and all of it's internals, the cylinder head and all of its internals, and the intake manifold, and both fuel pumps, and the fuel rail. I bought the tractor ( 2017 L3301 HST ) with a blown motor on E-Bay for $6300.00. The Kubota dealer quoted me $4000.00 for just an empty block, and $2500.00 for a new crank shaft, and wanted another $1000 dollars for 1 piston, 1 rod, and all the gaskets and bearings. So I think it worked out pretty good.

I probably wouldn't recommend a project like this moving forward, but I do have a nice heated shop set up right outside my back door, and it was winter, and I am truly enjoying the work. So all told if you was to count the total cost and my labor hours, I would have saved a little money by purchasing a good running unit. But then, What fun would that have been :)

Dirtboi55

Equipment
Kubota L3301 Hst
Jan 26, 2020
Tijeras,New Mexico
I bought the unit that way. It broke the piston in half at the wrist pin and threw the rod through the block. The guy I bought it from didn't know either, he bought it from an auction that way as well. It only shows 106 hours on the hour meter. I haven't figured out why it wasn't sent in as a warranty issue. I bought it Feb 2019 and it is a 2017 model.

Dirtboi55

Equipment
Kubota L3301 Hst
Jan 26, 2020
Tijeras,New Mexico
I guess I need to learn to use the quote button...Sorry. But I am having an engine performance issue with it. I am currently trying to figure out. and I posted some pictures in an album on this site as well. Thanks for having me as a new member, I look forward to chatting with you all as the project moves forward.