SVL 95-2s fluctuating hydraulic power issue

Hogtracker

Equipment
SVL 95-2s 2018
Dec 12, 2018
Canada
Hi. I have a SVL 95-2s. 2018. Has 400 hours.
I run a disc mulcher on it.

The disc mulcher demands high flow and runs well on this machine.
The combination is experiencing fluctuations in hydraulic power.
Most of the time I can apply flow to the disc and move around the job without much problem.

Sometimes when applying flow to the disc I experience reduced power to the tracks to the point where it hardly moves. I have to shut off flow to the disc then move into position then turn flow back on to the disc and creep ahead.

In typical operation, I can often continuously cut with little to no stopping for disc speed recovery. If I place a large demand on the disc with heavy vegetation or lots of ground engagement sometimes I have to give it a moment to recover some speed. Overall it is a very effective mulching system.

Sometimes I experience lower power to the disc.
For example, I mulched a project where the first couple hours of the day I had regular power almost cutting continuously. Then at noon, the disc was slow to recover speed and I spent half of my time over the next two hours sitting waiting for it to recover disc speed. It was weak.

Another project had a long gradual slope. I couldn’t cut going uphill it would not climb and spin the disc at the same time. I had to drive up the slope then cut on the way down. Then all of a sudden I had tons of power it was unstoppable. I was able to cut a steep slope going up and spinning the disc with demand on it the whole time. That’s the power I would like to have all the time.

My dealer is good. There are no codes no apparent issues. They have tested the hydraulics and valves etc and changed one valve that was showing a couple hundred psi below factory, it didn’t change anything.

The hardest part concerning diagnoses is the intermittent nature of the problem. I would like to try another machine to compare to but don’t have access to one at the moment. When running the machine without the disc there is not enough demand on the system to notice any reduction in power. And it’s not a full in limp mode, it’s more like I’m only at about 70% sometimes.

It has been doing this since I got set up this spring, I have mentioned it to the shop foreman a couple times and the service manager before I officially brought it in for diagnosis. I said it was temperamental or like a moody teenager that sometimes would work hard and sometimes be a slacker. I do understand that there is shared flow between the tracks and auxiliary system and each will affect the other.

Overall I love the machine and would buy another but I could use some help with this issue. If it helps, I am up on my service on all items, I am extremely fussy when It comes to maintenance and upkeep.

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It really sounds like a suction issue, like a hose is collapsing and restricting flow.

There are 2 suction lines, I would check both of those to start.

Hogtracker

Equipment
SVL 95-2s 2018
Dec 12, 2018
Canada
I didn***8217;t see anything with the suction lines but might need dealer to investigate deeper for me.
I checked the breather vent filter it was soaked in oil if that means anything.
Also I didn***8217;t mention that the dealer found the return line to have about 250 psi back pressure when in high flow mode. We rigged up a gauge and fitting to the standard flow female coupler so I could watch the back pressure when using the high flow It did like to sit in that 250 range most of the time. When not using high flow it is at 0.

capngeo

Equipment
L6060, Kubota SVL95-2s, KX080-4, Ram 5500 4x4 with roll-off body
Jun 16, 2017
NOKOMIS, FL
To revive an old thread.... I have the same problem (at least with the back pressure) It just blew out an aux oil cooler. Any ideas why there's a 250 psi+ back pressure on the return?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
restriction

could be in one of the valves a hose a fitting or whatever

pressure is the result of restriction to flow

think of a garden hose with nothing on the end. u turn the water on and it free flows out of the open end. Now stick your thumb on the end and hold the flow back, now there's pressure in the hose. same thing

mulchers are hard on the system and if u are using a mulch head, you cut the fluid change interval in half (if it says 500 hours, you do it at 250) but the mulch head manufacturer nor kubota will ever tell you that because they want to sell mulch heads and svl's. Cat manuals don't specify either, another reason kubota don't put it in the books

I for one would like to see a temp gauge in use when a high flow device is used