SUDT2 to top off axle

muddhogg

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT, Ford 3910
May 20, 2018
GA
I've been reading the threads talking about making sure to check the front axle oil on new delivery tractors so I'm going to check mine tomorrow. I stopped by the Kubota dealer to pick up some SUDT2 to top it off. I asked the dealer what they put in there before delivery, and he said 80w-90. I asked if I topped that off with SUDT2 would it be a problem and he said no. So, just double checking if you guys think mixing these would be an issue?

L2501 DT

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
When I did my service I drained the 80w from the axle and replaced it with SUDT2 with no problems.

I think it’s easier to have SUDT2 in there rather than 80w. Then I don’t have to keep 80w around.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nope, no problem at all, the 20 will interchange / mix fine in the front axle.

Reactions: 1 user

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I went through this a while ago and posted up the same.

The consensus was the factory filled with UDT2, dealer added the heavier gear oil (they didn't tell me and I "knew" by feel and smell) & I topped w/slightly less than a quart of the UDT2.

The mix gets you somewhere in the middle viscosity-wise. No harm, no foul in my opinion based on factory spec's. Some prefer each depending on preference & temps. You are in GA so real cold weather is not a factor.

The main thing is you just don't want it to be low so you are good! :)

EDIT - also go slow and let it sit and equilibrate. It takes a good while even for the easy flowing UDT2 to even out side to side. I actually overfilled at first

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I went through this a while ago and posted up the same.

The consensus was the factory filled with UDT2, dealer added the heavier gear oil (they didn't tell me and I "knew" by feel and smell) & I topped w/slightly less than a quart of the UDT2.

The mix gets you somewhere in the middle viscosity-wise. No harm, no foul in my opinion based on factory spec's. Some prefer each depending on preference & temps. You are in GA so real cold weather is not a factor.

The main thing is you just don't want it to be low so you are good! :)

EDIT - also go slow and let it sit and equilibrate. It takes a good while even for the easy flowing UDT2 to even out side to side. I actually overfilled at first
I’m thinking that if you remove the side plug where the oil level should be checked and then fill from the top, it will start running out the side plug when full. It would be impossible to overfill with this method.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I've been reading the threads talking about making sure to check the front axle oil on new delivery tractors so I'm going to check mine tomorrow. I stopped by the Kubota dealer to pick up some SUDT2 to top it off. I asked the dealer what they put in there before delivery, and he said 80w-90. I asked if I topped that off with SUDT2 would it be a problem and he said no. So, just double checking if you guys think mixing these would be an issue?

L2501 DT
Doubt either one has many additives, and the front axle would not get very warm. I'd say no problems.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
I’m thinking that if you remove the side plug where the oil level should be checked and then fill from the top, it will start running out the side plug when full. It would be impossible to overfill with this method.

Thought the same - especially with the viscosity.

But no - it takes a while. Others reported the same

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thought the same - especially with the viscosity.

But no - it takes a while. Others reported the same
I guess you could put a pan underneath and let it set awhile then keep adding until it quits draining.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Doubt either one has many additives, and the front axle would not get very warm. I'd say no problems.
Premium automotive gear oils contain roughly 10% by mass additive content. Of that 70-80% is EP additive, SUDT2 is formulated as a GL4 gear oil and will have about half the EP additive content of an SAE 80W90 GL5 gear oil.

Dan

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
80-90 takes forever to flow into the hubs, it's gotta go through several bearings, fill the hub/gearcase assembly, etc.

But the good thing is, 80-90 leaks out a lot slower too, and collects dirt around the leak better, and makes it almost impossible to miss any leakage; unless you're one of those that never cleans their equipment and then you never know if it's leaking or not, just leaks out, takes out bearings, seals, etc.-and ya never see it cause of all the crap built up around the leak points.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
80-90 takes forever to flow into the hubs, it's gotta go through several bearings, fill the hub/gearcase assembly, etc.

But the good thing is, 80-90 leaks out a lot slower too, and collects dirt around the leak better, and makes it almost impossible to miss any leakage; unless you're one of those that never cleans their equipment and then you never know if it's leaking or not, just leaks out, takes out bearings, seals, etc.-and ya never see it cause of all the crap built up around the leak points.
Smells nice too.

muddhogg

Equipment
May 20, 2018
GA
Premium automotive gear oils contain roughly 10% by mass additive content. Of that 70-80% is EP additive, SUDT2 is formulated as a GL4 gear oil and will have about half the EP additive content of an SAE 80W90 GL5 gear oil.

Dan
im gonna need a translation on that?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Oh by the way, you can make the 80w90 pour better by sticking your quart bottle of it in the microwave for about a minute prior to pouring it. Don't tell the ol' lady though. Trust me, from my experience on that part....

On most of Kubota's front axles, I'll leave the check plug installed, then just fill the axle to the top of the fill hole. Once full, let it sit about an hour. Then fill it again. Now go drive around a little bit, then let it sit. at that point remove the check plug and let any excess spill out. Reinstall check plug, come back in the morning to double check. Top it off and it should be good to go.

Also, while you're in there, check and /or clean the vent. Very common for them to get plugged, and when they do pressure builds in the axle case, which helps to push fluid out of seals. And push seals completely out of the case depending on the design.

Yes it takes a while for the fluid to infiltrate everything, as I said earlier.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My M59 doesn't have a side plug. The axel takes 12.5L and it overfilled after adding only 6L. In this cold weather it took a week of top ups to get the oil level right. I used SUDT which flows better.

muddhogg

Equipment
May 20, 2018
GA
Just topped it off with SUDT2, It did need some. Used almost .5 gallon.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Having trouble understanding this statement. If one pays attention to level in the front axle, and some oil leaks out and is replaced, why would it affect bearings, seals, etc?

I guess you were implying that people that do not clean and polish their tractors do not check oil levels also?

If so, I get it!

I confess I am guilty of not cleaning and polishing my tractors much anymore... 🥴