SW Pa
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
For the umpteenth time, Sam's Club, Walmart, Tractor Supply, and any other cheap oil simply does not work as well in modern tractors. Vic's discussion was for older tractors.

You must think that the rest of the tractor world is stupid to buy "quality" oil when "equal" oil is available for 1/3 the price.

I use quality oil. Kubota, New Holland, Case, and even a $500 hydraulic oil change to Amsoil. There are others as well.

Go ahead and put in the cheap oil. Will your tractor die...probably not. Will your tractor underperform...probably.

I have been there and done that. After about 50 hours on cheap oil in EACH of my tractors it was changed out to premium. The performance is back, shifting is smooth, whine is at a minimum. Just wait until the oil gets hot...you will be convinced.

But don't believe me. Go ahead and put in the "economy" oil. Please report back in about 50 hours.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I don't use SUDT and my dealer doesn't even carry it in stock. I am now using UDT upon the recommendation of my dealer. Like GWD, I use good quality lubricants even if it costs a bit more, I have used NH, Case and maybe another I can't think of as my local farm supplier carries it and a lot of people use it, but I have spoken with my dealer about them as well as my brother who is a mechanic.

Some other oils might be as good, I just don't know.

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The new SUDT2 costs less than SUDT. Messicks has a 3 gallon case for $60.45 + shipping. That's 10% off if you buy 3. You also have a nice little Kubota dealer just to Washington, PA's East which I'm sure you are aware of. Why buy 5 gallons and have what's left sit around for the next 400 engine hours? They may come out with a pure, kick butt, synthetic in the meantime and you're stuck with a couple of gallons of old tranny fluid and may not want to use it. 3 gallons should be enough because even though your tranny capacity is 3.1 gallons, not all of the fluid drains out on a change.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thanks guys, I pulled the thread I surely don't want to be called stupid again

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Thanks guys, I pulled the thread I surely don't want to be called stupid again
HEY!!! If you are referring to my comment be assured that I was not calling you stupid. My comment was that you must think people who spend the money on premium hydraulic oil are stupid. After all, who would pay 3X the amount for the same product?

The point being that there are reasons that good oil is good and cheap oil is cheap. OR...good oil isn't cheap and cheap oil isn't good.

It was not meant at all to be a personal insult. I welcome others to read the post to see if it was misinterpreted or not.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since the flames seem to be burning about oils again I have a hopefully innocent question for the synthetic users out there.

I also apologize for the change in subject from hydraulic fluids to engine oils...

In the normal world of vehicle engines that are used almost daily the following normal oil changes are recommended-
Standard oil - about 3 month 3000 miles
High grade standard oils - about 6 month or 5000 miles
Synthetic - about 1 year or some mileage limit (that I can't recall)

Assuming you now go to the tractor world where the engine runs less frequently so less hours but probably works the oil harder what do the synthetic users do for engine oil change frequency? Is it per a number of hours or is it still every year or some other period of time.

I have an old gear drive L185F and used normal UDT in the transmission and normal Kubota engine oil last year when I changed out the fluids soon after purchasing the tractor.

I am thinking to switch the engine oil to synthetic and am curious on when to change it out if/when I switch over.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Engine oil is hard for me because an hour meter was an option to purchase at the time of buying it new. I date my engile oil filter and try to keep and eye on the color of the oil. I run Rotella-T 15W40 in mine.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
with my L3200 the first oil change was at 50 hrs. the next isn't due until 200 hrs. which i feel is a bit long. so at 150 hrs the KT is getting fresh oil and a filter with mobil 1 synthetic.
when the hyd system is due to be changed, it will receive sudt2 or something comparable.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Since the flames seem to be burning about oils again I have a hopefully innocent question for the synthetic users out there.

I also apologize for the change in subject from hydraulic fluids to engine oils...

In the normal world of vehicle engines that are used almost daily the following normal oil changes are recommended-
Standard oil - about 3 month 3000 miles
High grade standard oils - about 6 month or 5000 miles
Synthetic - about 1 year or some mileage limit (that I can't recall)

Assuming you now go to the tractor world where the engine runs less frequently so less hours but probably works the oil harder what do the synthetic users do for engine oil change frequency? Is it per a number of hours or is it still every year or some other period of time.

I have an old gear drive L185F and used normal UDT in the transmission and normal Kubota engine oil last year when I changed out the fluids soon after purchasing the tractor.

I am thinking to switch the engine oil to synthetic and am curious on when to change it out if/when I switch over.
Russell, since all synthetic oil isn't created equal I won't speak for every brand. I'll be more than happy to pass along what I do to my equipment using the (MHO) only synthetic to buy, Amsoil.

My M9000 is for the most part a warm weather tractor but does get over 100 hrs per year. My L3000 is used almost daily for something. It started out getting about 75 hrs per year but it seems to climb every year. Last year it got about 180 hrs on the clock. First full year with my trackhoe and it racked up 119 hrs. I change the engine oil once per year reguardless of the hours. The change interval on the Amsoil 5w30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil that I use is rated at 1x per year or 600 hrs, which ever comes first. Hope this helped.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thank you for the information. The responses answer all my concerns and questions.