Stupid Tractor Newbie question about snow depth

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Well, maybe you can push a back blade through 3' of snow. It'd depend on how heavy your back blade is. My BX setup certainly wouldn't do it. My back blade is pretty good for cleaning up though
My MX will do this for sure, but so did my old 20hp JD tractor (size like a small B series).

muttbarker

Equipment
Kubota L4060 HST, Snowblower, FEL, Rear Blade, 60" Grapple, 6' Bush Hog, Forks
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
Wow - so many great suggestions. I stumbled on this Forum by accident and it is great! Thanks to everyone for the input. I felt really defeated and ,maybe the snow will still beat me but I at least can do battle with it armed with the knowledge I gained here. THX TO ALL!

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
We don't get three or four ft but every few years, usually more like 24" or less. I have a loader bucket and rear blade, no chains or weights or liquid in the tires. When the snow is deep, I will use the bucket to push a path along our 500' drive. Just to break it up and not really to clear all the snow. After that, I go back and use the rear blade. I have to do at least two passes with the 84" blade as it will not clear the driveway. On really deep snow, I might have to use the blade with it raised off the ground a bit, get that upper layer of snow moved and then go back and do it again with the blade lowered. You just have to adjust your technique according to the depth and even the consistency of the snow.

In a case where the snow is "frozen" on the upper layer I use the bucket to break it up and then go back and use the blade. I looked at front blades, at the Kubota dealer, and it stuck out so far in front of the tractor I didn't feel it that useful on my two-switchback driveway.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I'd lift the blower as high as I could (w/out kinking the pto shaft) and see if it would shave the top off. It won't eat 3' of ice, but mine would eat 3' of snow w/ enough ice on top to walk on. HST means you can go full PTO rpm and ease into the drift very slowly. Make sure you have some shear pins, but give it a try.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you are going to attack the ice on top of the snow with your blower, better have a good supply of shear pins and get used to changing them frequently. It is a snowblower, not an ice breaker.

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
I love the image of a giant tractor trying to plow it’s way through a watery sea of icebergs! THX

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Excavator have a blade on it?
If it does break it up with that and then use the blower to blow it out.
yes have lots of shear pins on hand.
You're really fighting a battle that you really need a loader to overcome.

Get chains for all 4 tires!
A tractor with a blower front or rear won't handle worth a hoot without chains on the steering tires.

Piece of advice for next year, stay ahead of the snow period!
If you let it build up and ice you'll be in the same situation.

But don't fret spring is only about 2 months away and then it will become a muddy mess!
That is unless you're really high altitude then it might be three or 4 months away!

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I love the image of a giant tractor trying to plow it’s way through a watery sea of icebergs! THX
You wouldn't love it at sub-zero temps, in the wind, w/ an open station tractor! I was kind of picturing the icebreaker technique of lifting the implement above the snow, letting the weight of the implement drop to bust things up, then removing the chunks.

Also, when I made my suggestion I was picturing an inch or so of ice on top of a layer of snow--not churning through 6 inches of ice with a lightweight snowblower. If I popped two shear pins I'd be looking for Plan C.

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
I just to say thank you all again for the fantastic suggestions. I was able to clear about ¾ mile worth of road using the snowblower (front mounted) with all the knowledge I gained from this forum. I also used my excavator to break up the really icy parts and then the blower to clear them. Really appreciate find Orange Tractor and I have learned so much in the short time I have been reading these posts. THX!

Reactions: 4 users

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have to second ice chains are really helpful and using the loader you should be able to push lift enough snow to get started. the loader is slow but it will work. I have used a back blade on a 8n for a lot of snow in northern ontario but not three feet all at once. I have moved 6 or 7 ft drifts with a loader on a 1958 farmall 200. slow but got it done.

IanB

Equipment
B2650, RC72-30B mower, LA534 FEL, B2781A-63 snowblower
Aug 31, 2021
Manitoba
I came here to say to try going in with the snowblower lifted up and push into the snowbank a few feet till you start driving up onto the snow, then back up and try again with the snowblower lowered to the ground, you should be able to make progress this way.

Sounds like you found a technique that works for you though!

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
I wanted to follow up to my post from a year ago when I was a total newbie. The snow here in Northern Utah has been epic. I now have a mile long road that I need to keep cleared which keeps me busy. A local reporter took this shot when he was wandering around looking for something fun to snap. Just another day blowing snow.
20230222-XD_0084.jpg

Reactions: 14 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wanted to follow up to my post from a year ago when I was a total newbie. The snow here in Northern Utah has been epic. I now have a mile long road that I need to keep cleared which keeps me busy. A local reporter took this shot when he was wandering around looking for something fun to snap. Just another day blowing snow.
View attachment 97994
You only clear one pass wide?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
View attachment 97994
You must be VERY happy!
Absolutely magnificent, compared to anything in So. Cal.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nope, I do two passes (or sometimes 4 if I have to do a half deep pass due to snow depth). Go all the down to the end of the drive and then turn around and come back up.
Ok was just curious as it looks really narrow, gotta love snow! 🤪

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
Ok was just curious as it looks really narrow, gotta love snow! 🤪
It's paved and is 14 feet wide but I clear about 12 feet cause I can do that with two passes. I have wings on the snowblower and its base width is 74" so two passes just work. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with the bigger 84" model that is for sure.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Not too late. Keep your eyes open this spring for an 84" snowblower, and then put your smaller one up for sale.

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
BTW - I currently live in Park City as I build my future house on the property I have been referring to. My backyard butts up to Deer Valley and I just learned that we have passed the 40 foot mark on snow this season having received a total snowfall of 485 inches after our latest storm yesterday. My house is at 7,600 feet and it has been like living in a snow cave.

Reactions: 2 users