Stupid Dummy Question

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Is there any advantage to an L frame tractor over a B frame tractor, assuming the HP is roughly equivalent?

I have a B series now, and it's a good little tractor. But it doesn't have an FEL and since they are just about impossible to come by at a decent price, looking to upgrade. There are a couple of L series tractors in my area in my general price range as well as a B series that is 30HP.

I don't have anything against the slightly larger L frame over the B frame, just wondering if there is truly an advantage.

My uses are at the deer lease mostly, shredding ROW's and general work. The FEL would be immensely helpful, but my bush hog is only a 4' version so getting a huge tractor isn't all that big of a deal for me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is there any advantage to an L frame tractor over a B frame tractor, assuming the HP is roughly equivalent?

I have a B series now, and it's a good little tractor. But it doesn't have an FEL and since they are just about impossible to come by at a decent price, looking to upgrade. There are a couple of L series tractors in my area in my general price range as well as a B series that is 30HP.

I don't have anything against the slightly larger L frame over the B frame, just wondering if there is truly an advantage.

My uses are at the deer lease mostly, shredding ROW's and general work. The FEL would be immensely helpful, but my bush hog is only a 4' version so getting a huge tractor isn't all that big of a deal for me.
Much tougher tractor!
Everything is larger and more robust!
Parts cost are really generally equivalent between the two.

Yes do yourself a huge favor, buy the most you can comfortably within reason, and don't buy it without a FEL!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you want to get a feel for the differance, go to a Kubota dealer and look at and sit on a couple new, and used if they have any, tractors, an L and a B and your feel the difference. ;)

Stay away from the grands or you'll get reeled in, they are really nice!!! ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As Wolfman said, everything is larger.
With that, an L is also heavier. Weight means more traction. More traction means more work.

My 1953 Minneapolis Moline is only 30 horsepower but weighs about 7,000 pounds. It can out-pull a modern 4WD compact diesel of similar horsepower easily. An L3301, while similar horsepower, probably doesn’t weigh 3,000 pounds fully equipped.

Same applies to loader work. A tractor may be rated for X pounds, but you need adequate rear ballast to realize that potential without the risk of tip-over, injury or other damage. You need to compensate more with a lighter tractor.

It’s all about the weight. A heavier, more robust machine can do more, irrespective of horsepower.

That’s why that L will do more work than a B.

Again as Wolfman said, put yo’ ass in a couple seats, because larger isn’t always better if the larger size doesn’t work for the work area, storage location, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Well,

A BX2680 is a great machine
A B2601 will pull its guts out
A B2650 will outwork the 01
An L2501 will plough under a B2650
L3301 will outwork the 25
Jump to a Grand L and the loader and 3pt abilities are leaps and bounds beyond.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
As mentioned, there's an increase in "beefyness" with each step. There are a couple pictures below to show that. The picture with three tractors shows the B7500 and L3200 sitting side by side when the L3200 was delivered. I recall thinking WOW, look how much bigger the tractor is. The front axle was huge in comparison.

The left picture is of the L3200 with the home-brew cab beside the L4240. The L4240 made the L3200 look a little scrawny.

Loader capacities are roughly 600# on the B7500, 1/2 ton on the L3200 and a ton on the L4240. Remarkably, the L4240 turns a 17" smaller circle than the L3200.;

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Only problem is, the bigger you go, the fatter the payment book gets. I know all too well.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
The L weighs more so itd do better with FEL work and ground engaging tasks.

It also tears up the yard if you mow when the ground is too wet, but I guess the B could do the very same thing. The L wont have a mid mount mower either if that matters.

Depends on your needs. A bigger tractor is nice but so is a small 4WD with a belly mower.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
...There are a couple of L series tractors in my area in my general price range as well as a B series that is 30HP.
What B series are you looking at? Just a heads up if you do not already know... If the 30hp range B series is the B3350, then do a search on "B3350 DPF problem". You will find plenty of reasons not to buy one. They have discontinued that model because of all the problems, but they are still available at some dealers as they try to dump their inventory.

Otherwise, as others have said, the L series are going to be more capable and robust for loader work, ground work, and ground clearance. Also, once you get an FLE, you will find all kinds of uses, but the B series will limit you more. For what you say you want to do with it... it would seem better suited for an L series.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The L weighs more so itd do better with FEL work and ground engaging tasks.

It also tears up the yard if you mow when the ground is too wet, but I guess the B could do the very same thing. The L wont have a mid mount mower either if that matters.

Depends on your needs. A bigger tractor is nice but so is a small 4WD with a belly mower.
The L60 series can be equipped with a mid pto and mid mount mower. Cheaper if tractor ordered that way. Not the L01 models though.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
What B series are you looking at? Just a heads up if you do not already know... If the 30hp range B series is the B3350, then do a search on "B3350 DPF problem".

Otherwise, as others have said, the L series are going to be more capable and robust for loader work, ground work, and ground clearance.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Yes, I wouldn't even consider the B3350 if I were looking to buy.

The L is definitely more heavy/robust, but the large B actually has more ground clearance if that matters to you.

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
I had a Kubota BX2370 and after 3 years I traded it for a Kubota L3901. My opinion is that is was just enough to get most of my tasks done but with minimum ability. It was not necessarily efficiently or to the degree I wished. With the bigger tractor I can do more either through better functions of the tractor, or bigger attachments.

For example, our 48" brush hog took too long to cut our 7 acre field (12 hours each time). Our 6" auger just barely lifted off the ground and was a struggle at times on uneven ground. Worse yet, if you hit a bump while traveling and the auger bottomed out it would just about jar your teeth out. With our snow blade we frequently had to use only a portion of the blade or we wouldn't have enough traction. We could pull our 375 gallon water cart, but the wheels would spin on an incline and sometimes we had to go at an angle. We could lift things with the bucket off the ground, but it didn't go high enough to take things off of a trailer. I'm sure I could add to this list if I thought of more uses.

Last edited: