Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
IMG_4542.JPG
IMG_4543.JPG
IMG_4544.JPG
IMG_4545.JPG
SSo I had a chance to use the Ripper today. It did ok. Not it's fault the dang stump didn't have any roots going out from it. they all pretty much went straight down. I put my bucket back on and started digging and digging. I had to brake out the sawzall and start cutting the roots. Well after 5 hours It is out of the hole pushed into the woods. I will say I know I could have done it faster with a mini X , but they cost to much to rent for one stump. I used to save up projects until I had enough to justify renting one. Now with this BX23 I can do them on my time and keep the projects moving along.
IMG_4546.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Nice job! What kind of stump? Ive dug out some big pine stumps that went fairly easy but ash are a bear to get out. I dont use my sawsall If I cant break some of the roots I just dig a little further out and then snap them with the bucket curl. Yea the holes a little bigger but what the heck your lawn is a mess by then anyway!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Nice job! What kind of stump? Ive dug out some big pine stumps that went fairly easy but ash are a bear to get out. I dont use my sawsall If I cant break some of the roots I just dig a little further out and then snap them with the bucket curl. Yea the holes a little bigger but what the heck your lawn is a mess by then anyway!
I am not sure what type tree it was. I bought the house in 2019, and the PO said the stump has been there since the house was built in 1997. I have never had a stump where pretty much all the roots went straight down. I had dug out trying to find them. Then I dug down and down. When I had it high centered I started at it with the sawzall. I finally got enough cut to start move it and find more of them to cut.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
View attachment 87417 View attachment 87418 View attachment 87419 View attachment 87420 SSo I had a chance to use the Ripper today. It did ok. Not it's fault the dang stump didn't have any roots going out from it. they all pretty much went straight down. I put my bucket back on and started digging and digging. I had to brake out the sawzall and start cutting the roots. Well after 5 hours It is out of the hole pushed into the woods. I will say I know I could have done it faster with a mini X , but they cost to much to rent for one stump. I used to save up projects until I had enough to justify renting one. Now with this BX23 I can do them on my time and keep the projects moving along. View attachment 87421
I burn them out.

Burnt out about 10 black locust stumps within the past couple of weeks. About 3 more to do in next few days.

Cut tree down. Stack wood closely around about 24" stump. Allow wood to dry appropriately. Burn.

Do need to continually restack wood for 18 hours or so, depending upon size of tree/stump. I use a pitch fork. No, stump will not burn out well unless fire restacked for 18+ hours.

Usually get stump to burn below ground level. Sometimes need to bury still burning stump/roots to prevent creation of crater. Nothing left but ash when finished.

Drive right over tree site with mower next year. Grass will return within 3 years or so even without seeding.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
After digging out 1 stump, I figured it was faster, easier, and less expensive to have them ground down to 6" below ground. I usually wait till I have a bunch to have done, and the local retired guy charges me $35 each stump up to 30" diameter.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
the local retired guy charges me $35 each stump up to 30" diameter.

That's cheap! Around here it's $50 to show up, and a buck per inch of diameter.

If you have time, try this method:

Drill as many holes as big as you can as deep as you can. Buy some cheap corn syrup or pancake syrup, whatever is cheapest. Dilute 50/50 with very warm (not HOT) water. Add a packet of yeast (like you get for making bread). Now fill every hole and pour the rest over the stump.

The ants and the fungi will love the sugar and go to town on that stump.

I did this on a 36" sycamore and a year later it was almost all punk. Ripped the punk off with the backhoe and re-treated.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
drill a 2" diameter hole dead center, about 2' deep, add a 'stick of 30%d' ,cap ,add 55' of 2c wire, use 6v lantern battery....:)

• Haha

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
The only problem with not digging them out is as what is left, rots and the ground sinks. Then when you mow over it, you get 'the jolt'. You dig a clump of lawn off, dump in a wheelbarrow of dirt, toss the turf clump back on top, pack down. Then in a few years more stump rots and the 'lawn dent' is back.
Good going @Mlarv

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
After digging out 1 stump, I figured it was faster, easier, and less expensive to have them ground down to 6" below ground. I usually wait till I have a bunch to have done, and the local retired guy charges me $35 each stump up to 30" diameter.
Woodland Mills now has the WG24 PTO stump grinder in stock and ready to ship. Fall is here, lots of dead ash to bring down, and my will power is weakening fast.....

Dan

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Mlarv where did you get that seat cover?

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
I called a local stump grinder in or area to get a quote. 8 dollars per inch, measured where the stump comes out of the ground. I,ve got a 36 ash inch stump. After receiving that quote, I,ll probably take my time, and burn it instead. I previously rented a stump grinder from home depot, and that thing was totally useless. A total waste of a couple hours of driving time, and a hundred bucks, to pick it up and return it, after 10 minutes of futility

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That's cheap! Around here it's $50 to show up, and a buck per inch of diameter.
Wow. Where do you find these guys? I'd like to use them as a sub. Hell, at a dollar per inch I'll even supply the grinder! I generally charge $5-6/inch diameter...even that's too cheap.

Then again, sometimes they need to come out the hard way.

stump hole.JPG

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Woodland Mills now has the WG24 PTO stump grinder in stock and ready to ship. Fall is here, lots of dead ash to bring down, and my will power is weakening fast.....

Dan
I can vouch for how good the Woodland Mills stump grinder works. I have it for my LX2610 Has not grumbled at anything I have thrown at it yet... Now my old B7510 it liked to shake the tractor around and I had to do really small bites.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I can vouch for how good the Woodland Mills stump grinder works. I have it for my LX2610 Has not grumbled at anything I have thrown at it yet... Now my old B7510 it liked to shake the tractor around and I had to do really small bites.

That thing looks like a good machine. Good thing I only have one more stump on my property to deal with, or I'd be tempted! :)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I called a local stump grinder in or area to get a quote. 8 dollars per inch, measured where the stump comes out of the ground. I,ve got a 36 ash inch stump. After receiving that quote, I,ll probably take my time, and burn it instead. I previously rented a stump grinder from home depot, and that thing was totally useless. A total waste of a couple hours of driving time, and a hundred bucks, to pick it up and return it, after 10 minutes of futility
Buring works well for me.

Cut two more black locust trees yesterday and arranged wood around stump of about 24". Took about two hours. Two more to do today. Probably another 1 1/2-2 hours. Will burn next week weather permitting. I plan such burns for periods of at least 3 days without rain to allow stumps to burn well into the ground. Restacking is easy but time consuming as I restack each 90 minutes or so, excepting nights. Allow longer drying time for green, wet wood.

Already done about 15 within the past month or so.

Drive right over with mower set with skid rails just off ground and never hit anything.