Stumps I hate them.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
clipped..
Drive right over with mower set with skid rails just off ground and never hit anything.
II have a couple of small ones near the driveway that the mower deck goes right over.
They will test the seatbelt in winter if you forget and hit it while plowing snow.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Buring works well for me.

Cut two more black locust trees yesterday and arranged wood around stump of about 24". Took about two hours. Two more to do today. Probably another 1 1/2-2 hours. Will burn next week weather permitting. I plan such burns for periods of at least 3 days without rain to allow stumps to burn well into the ground. Restacking is easy but time consuming as I restack each 90 minutes or so, excepting nights. Allow longer drying time for green, wet wood.

Already done about 15 within the past month or so.

Drive right over with mower set with skid rails just off ground and never hit anything.

A burn barrel and an electric leaf blower will make it go faster.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Awww…. Admit it! You LOVE STUMPS!

Otherwise none of you would so enthusiastically show-and-tell how you use your equipment :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My neighbour's 4'+ diameter at the base spruce tree stump in the middle of his yard got treated 1 1/2 years ago with epsom salts poured into 1" diameter holes drilled at least 6" deep all over the top surface.
I was helping auger fence post holes for his dog yard with our PD15 digger, and at day's end I hit the stump with the tips of my pallet forks a few inches below the surface, and drove the forks easily straight through the stump with practically the whole fork then curled a bit and the stump bits popped right out of the totally punky wood.
So epsom salts definitely rots wood fast. He also kept it wet by covering with a poly sheet after treatment. That way it didn't dry out over some hot dry spells we get every summer.

ravenseye

Equipment
BX23S
Apr 10, 2021
Pepperell, MA
I did 3 over the weekend using the BH of my BX23S. I'm getting better at it. Learned that starting further away is better that trying to find a sweet spot near the old trunk. Earlier this year I had to dig a 165' trench for pool wiring and I quickly learned how powerful that bucket curl can be and about the optimum distance to do the job right. I still had some loam left over from the trench so once the stumps came out and I got them to the brush pile, filling in and smoothing the hole was a piece of cake.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I hate stumps too. I can't burn them as there's usually a burn ban going at least 9 to 13 months at a time. Sending them up with energetics draws too much attention altho completely legal.
So I built a 13 inch, 13hp stump grinder.
By far the most dangerous thing I have ever built.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
So epsom salts definitely rots wood fast. He also kept it wet by covering with a poly sheet after treatment. That way it didn't dry out over some hot dry spells we get every summer.

The covering is what did it. Keep it wet and it will rot. Epsom salts doesn't do anything. I've tried it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Ten years ago I cut down some 20-inch dia Live Oak trees to get them away from my runway. I cut them about 3” above ground. Those stumps are today in exactly the same shape as the day I cut them. They may still be there when the pyramids are dust.
They don’t bother me, but I am surprised they haven’t displayed at least SOME type of rot.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Ten years ago I cut down some 20-inch dia Live Oak trees to get them away from my runway. I cut them about 3” above ground. Those stumps are today in exactly the same shape as the day I cut them. They may still be there when the pyramids are dust.
They don’t bother me, but I am surprised they haven’t displayed at least SOME type of rot.
In my part of the country, it takes about 35-40 years for an oak stump to rot away. Much more for hedge.

Burnt three more black locust trees/stumps yesterday. By this evening there will be nothing but ash.

One more cedar pile ready and one or two more locust piles to cut/stack.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
An easy way to get stumps out for the way for mowing is to take a pointed shovel or for a small tree, a straight claw hammer and get the dirt away from the bark. Get it cleaned as good as possible 4-5" down and 4-5" back from the stump. Take the chain saw and begin the cut at just below ground lever (where you cleaned) and point the bar down toward the center of the stump. Just work you way around the stump.

When you get all the way around if it's not totally cut loose use a mall or other tool to break off the cut parts. When you're done you have a stump below grade with a cone in the center. You can leave it to rot or dump drained oil in that spot. It will gather water and deteriorate quicker then left flat and it's out of the way.

Hoserman

Equipment
Kubota BX2380
Aug 1, 2022
Grayling, MI.
Pulled several stumps this summer. What a difference it makes when you have a piece of equipment that can handle the job. Dug around the stump and chopped the roots about three feet out. Put the bucket on my BX2380 against the stump and pushed and pulled. Came right out for me. Man, I love this little orange beast!

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
In my part of the country, it takes about 35-40 years for an oak stump to rot away. Much more for hedge.

Burnt three more black locust trees/stumps yesterday. By this evening there will be nothing but ash.

Yep… There’s a Reason since the 18th Century U.S. Army specified that gun-carriage, limber, and freight wagon wheels and spokes be made of oak. ;)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Yep… There’s a Reason since the 18th Century U.S. Army specified that gun-carriage, limber, and freight wagon wheels and spokes be made of oak. ;)
Yep. Great wood.

Car/truck wheels were also made of oak in the era of wooden wheels.

Hedge is even better but even slower growing and much less common.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Damn! Just drove by last three burn piles and found 2 of 3 still smoldering well below ground level. Will need to rake dirt into hole to prevent serious pot holes.

Still have cedar pile to burn (no stump) but will allow to dry for a few more days and one or two more black locust trees to cut/stack before calling it a finished project.

No one but me will notice work done, but I have a great sense of accomplishment.

Yes, a Skid Steer/Fecon would be nice but the old fashioned way works well for a retired guy.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Red oak cut about 20 years ago. About 36 inch diameter. Gave me lots of fire wood. Was within a foot of the house so I had it taken down by a pro.

stump1.jpg

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Stumps around here are something like $5-8 per inch at the ground for grinding. I did a job early this spring for two 50' spruce trees with 24" stump bases. Rented the Home Depot grinder, it was an Italian machine with a big Briggs V-Twin maybe 30HP. It had hydraulic swing and raise-lower of the grinder and was on tracks. The grinder worked really quite well. Took some effort, but it took care of my two stumps.