Stump removers, What have you used

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I now have three options at my disposal depending on the stump and just how destructive I'm feeling at the time :)

Option 1 is the best choice for the large buggers.

Option 1:

Stump 2_3.JPG

Option 2:

stump hole.JPG

Option 3:

Bean Rockin it.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I didn't think about using a sawzall to cut the roots until after I had already dug my stumps out. I was using one of the teeth on the backhoe to split and break some of the larger roots, but a sawzall would have been easier and faster. I'll try that for the next one.

My wife would be willing to jump into the hole with the sawzall and give it a try, but she is not handy with power tools and would probably hurt herself. o_O
A BH mounted root ripper is probably the best (easiest) way, to get stumps/roots out.
I am looking to buy one, but it is looking mighty pricey at $1,100+ for my L48 TLB.
I don't think I am willing to pay that.
Looking for other options.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I use a BXpanded root ripper modified to fit my woods backhoe. It works well for small and medium sized stumps, but has its limitations when it comes to 2FT and wider stumps. It allows for a surgical-like cut of the stump, then I winch the stump out. Naturally someone didn't weld the pin ears on concentrically and the pin wouldn't fit through. That has been my only gripe with it so far.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Stump buckets are hard on tractor FEL curl cylinders.
How about a BXpanded bh ripper? Been using a new ripper on a M59 bh and 10x better than bucket.
Almost all are referencing a backhoe, I unfortunately do not have one on the BX2380, and wouldn't want to buy a different tractor, or add one given the costs. I would maybe use it once or twice a year, although as a shovel, it could get used quite a lot more. This tractor is already overkill for our property, slightly less than an acre, but I'm finding more and more things to use it for, to justify the purchase, and implements help me rationalize this with my wife ;). If its not a good use of the tractor, or can cause damage to the tractor, then I'll do as I did last year, and pick up the phone for the professionals to come out and grind away.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I use a BXpanded root ripper modified to fit my woods backhoe. It works well for small and medium sized stumps, but has its limitations when it comes to 2FT and wider stumps. It allows for a surgical-like cut of the stump, then I winch the stump out. Naturally someone didn't weld the pin ears on concentrically and the pin wouldn't fit through. That has been my only gripe with it so far.
I was planning to fab one of these up and was planning to use a saw tooth pattern with the cutting edge going up, no bevel. How effective is the saw pattern you have? I didn't want to bevel my edges but I'm now thinking it might be a better idea.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Stump grinder had to remove the test of red oak from storm damage 54" at the stump 3hrs with a rental grinder took more time to go get it & return it

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I was planning to fab one of these up and was planning to use a saw tooth pattern with the cutting edge going up, no bevel. How effective is the saw pattern you have? I didn't want to bevel my edges but I'm now thinking it might be a better idea.
It works very well and chews through roots like a hacksaw blade. I think the bevel helps clear the wood as you saw through it. I don't know if I'd angle the teeth unless you have a really strong backhoe. Sometimes when I dig into a root and try and pull up, it hits the hydraulic limiter. I find I curl and lift up it does better.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The late farmer cross the road used to drill holes in the stumps, with brace and bit ( yes, he was THAT old... ) ,poured used engine oil and a little gas, then tend to animals, come back and light the stump up, then go do more 'farming'. Stumps would smoulder-burn for days. He didn't have the luxury of fancy tools or TIME,but he did have the know how to get rid of them stumps !