Stump removers, What have you used

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I was looking to see if there was one at a rental for skid steers and such that I could rent to use on my L4060, but no dice. After lookig arud I have a feeling I would actually be better off buying one as I have a LOT of stumps and stuff to remove, not just the couple I was thinking of.

Is Titan any good? What other brands are there and what have you used tha tdid the job well. I have silver maples that grew in clumps, about 4 or 5 to remove as well as a few small pines and some weed trees along the fence line, nothing too big, 4-6" diameter for the maples and about 8" for the pines.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
A weekend rental of a Vermeer 30hp tracked unit will grind more stumps over a weekend than your endurance is capable of withstanding.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I was looking to see if there was one at a rental for skid steers and such that I could rent to use on my L4060, but no dice. After lookig arud I have a feeling I would actually be better off buying one as I have a LOT of stumps and stuff to remove, not just the couple I was thinking of.

Is Titan any good? What other brands are there and what have you used tha tdid the job well. I have silver maples that grew in clumps, about 4 or 5 to remove as well as a few small pines and some weed trees along the fence line, nothing too big, 4-6" diameter for the maples and about 8" for the pines.
About $2800 for a Woodland Mills. I will probably have one before the snow flies.

Dan

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
For me always excavator. I have rented a large one for big jobs, but my smaller one works fine for most.

Stump grinder is not a bad idea. Disposing of stumps is a real pain...I would grind if you can.

Reactions: 3 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota

I've had a Woodland Mills WG24 for a couple of years now. I consider it having paid for itself the first year of use. Not only in the number of stumps it's ground.....but in the convenience of it being available whenever needed. A rear view camera mount setup really helps when grinding multiple stumps to lessen the "over the shoulder" neck strain.

It works quite well behind my B2650. Can't imagine it being anything but a lean, mean, stump grinding machine behindd your 4060!!!!!

Living on a 100 year old farmstead, I now check the area to be ground with a metal detector first. Using the stump grinder to find buried metal next to a stump will wipe out the outer teeth in an instant. Ask me how I know!

Reactions: 1 users

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA

Am I missing something? You said, "I have a feeling I would actually be better off buying one." One what? With 8" diameter being the largest your BH70 backhoe will take them out easily!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Any trees under 12" I push over with my tractor before cutting with a chainsaw. Gravity is your friend and the weight of the tree canopy will help you expose the roots. Once the roots are exposed push them out using the FEL.

It's also better to do this when the ground is wet.

Pines have shallow roots and are easy to push over - even larger ones.

A 25+ ton excavator will remove everything else.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I missed the BH70 in your arsenal. You have a BH70 on a L4060 and you're having trouble removing 8" stumps? And to think I dug up a 24" water oak stump using pickaxe, shovel, axe, come-along and a 2 wheel drive '92 F-150. I was a much younger and stronger man then, but still ....

100_0769.jpg

Didn't happen in an afternoon, but it happened. Stubbornness goes a long way toward accomplishing a task. You can see the size of the lateral roots I cut off that beast. Done with a sharp axe and a hard head.

Is there a big hurry to get the stumps up? Take your time, enjoy the time on the tractor seat. You have no idea what I would have given for access to an L4060 with a BH70 in October of 2005.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I have been digging stumps out with the BH77 backhoe on my LX2610. It takes some time and effort, and the bigger the stump the bigger the hole has to be to get to all of the roots. Stumps which have been dead for a number of years come out much easier than fresh ones. Fortunately I have a place to dump them after I dig them out.

A stump grinder would probably be much faster and easier, but I would still have roots to deal with. Roots from many of the trees on my rocky land are growing on the surface and create a bumpy ride for my lawn mower.

Last edited:

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
The BH70 is on my B2410, and is PTO pump driven, it has it's limits.

This is what I am referring to, not a grinder.

1664295553763.png

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
I ordered a DK Power stump grinder from HD. Just sent it back today (unused), as I read this thread and will be ordering the Woodland Mills PTO Stump grinder. That looks like it will last the rest of my lifetime.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I ordered a DK Power stump grinder from HD. Just sent it back today (unused), as I read this thread and will be ordering the Woodland Mills PTO Stump grinder. That looks like it will last the rest of my lifetime.
Nice!! It'll work great behind your tractor. Simple and rugged, it's built like a tank!

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
I sure hope so. Your review really helped make my decision to spend the extra $700 and get something better.
A few years ago I bought a "Dirty Hand Tools" chipper/shredder from TSC, it was a total piece of crap and not worth the effort it took to bring it home. Given I've already been burned on subpar equipment, watching the reviews of the DK Power grinder on youtube gave me a lot of pause going in that direction.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'll second the recommendation for the woodland mills WG24. It works well.

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
I bought a stump wrecker from Good Works Tractor that works good for me. It is designed to be not as long as some of the others so it will not stress the loader as much . It also works well for digging holes for planting.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
I bought a stump wrecker from Good Works Tractor that works good for me. It is designed to be not as long as some of the others so it will not stress the loader as much . It also works well for digging holes for planting.
Do you happen to have any pictures of this thing mounted or how it attaches, the website has nothing but Green Tractors shown, but I don't know how it actually attaches? I assume you pull the bucket and then it attaches via the quick mounting system, but hard to tell -

There is also this, but I'm not sure what else would be needed to make it work - https://www.artillian.com/products/front-hoe-stump-buckets/

Both seem like great options to a shovel for loads of uses, and then the added value of pulling stumps makes them even more interesting to me. Just curious how they look/perform?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
What's your time frame? If you can wait a year, go get some cheap corn syrup or pancake syrup and some yeast. Drill a bunch of DEEP holes in your stump. The bigger the better, the deeper the better, the more the better. At least half inch diameter.

Mix your syrup 50/50 with warm water, add a few drops of dish soap (NOT antibacterial) and the yeast, and fill the holes. Soak the stump.

The ants and the fungus will take it from there. They love the sugar.

In a year you'll have mostly punk you can clear away easily. Easy work for the backhoe.

Might need a second round to get deeper depending on the size of your stump and how far down you want them gone.

I've taken out large sycomore and oak stumps that way. It works, if you have the time.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Energetic wife with Sawzall to cut roots.
I didn't think about using a sawzall to cut the roots until after I had already dug my stumps out. I was using one of the teeth on the backhoe to split and break some of the larger roots, but a sawzall would have been easier and faster. I'll try that for the next one.

My wife would be willing to jump into the hole with the sawzall and give it a try, but she is not handy with power tools and would probably hurt herself. o_O