Stump bucket on a BX?

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
I have numerous stumps to remove and have come across this Stump Bucket attachment for a BX. https://coldrollindustrial.com/products/compact-tractor-stump-buckets

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience removing stumps with this on a sub compact tractor? A lot of my stumps are in the 15"-16" range. Some were cut off close to the ground while the rest have half the root ball exposed. A tornado came through my property leaving a lot of damage.

Considering the size of the tractor I'm wondering if it would be effective for stumps in this size range or if it's better just to hire someone to grind them?

Any insights and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I can get you the dimensions if you can't find them online, but the size of the artillian one is perfect for the BX and compact. Not so big that you can break something but just right, get a lot of use out of it. I'm selling my artillian grapple but im keeping their stump bucket because I love the thing.

I've used it for popping out countless shrub root balls, digging holes for new shrubs, surface drains ect. It is really effective on the B as well. I dont think id want a larger size.

Regarding your problem, I have found grinding to be the way to go to make stumps disappear. less mess, less stress on the machine and faster. I think the woodland mills grinder would also work on a BX.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Grinding is cost effective if you have a lot of stumps. Around here, there are a lot of guys that grind stumps as a part time business, and tow the stump grinder behind the pick up truck. If you have a lot, ask for an estimate, and also if they will give you a guaranteed price for all. One fellow that I used charged by the hour, but that was about 10 years ago, and I don't remember how much it was per hour, but he was the least expensive. Some rental places will have a walk behind stump grinder that you can rent by the day or week, but they can't handle large stumps, and the small ones, you can usually dig out with your BX.

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
I can get you the dimensions if you can't find them online, but the size of the artillian one is perfect for the BX and compact. Not so big that you can break something but just right, get a lot of use out of it. I'm selling my artillian grapple but im keeping their stump bucket because I love the thing.

I've used it for popping out countless shrub root balls, digging holes for new shrubs, surface drains ect. It is really effective on the B as well. I dont think id want a larger size.

Regarding your problem, I have found grinding to be the way to go to make stumps disappear. less mess, less stress on the machine and faster. I think the woodland mills grinder would also work on a BX.

Thanks for sending the pictures. Initially I saw the artillian bucket and it looked like it would be perfect. The problem I have with it is it only fits on the artillian frame. I have Kubota pallet forks and frame as well as a LandPride grapple so I really don't want to buy another frame. The one I found on Cold Roll Industrial is a complete unit for the BX quick attach. The CRI bucket is 32" long and 10" wide at the front with teeth along the sides. I'm curious if 32" is too long for the BX?

Attachments

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
Grinding is cost effective if you have a lot of stumps. Around here, there are a lot of guys that grind stumps as a part time business, and tow the stump grinder behind the pick up truck. If you have a lot, ask for an estimate, and also if they will give you a guaranteed price for all. One fellow that I used charged by the hour, but that was about 10 years ago, and I don't remember how much it was per hour, but he was the least expensive. Some rental places will have a walk behind stump grinder that you can rent by the day or week, but they can't handle large stumps, and the small ones, you can usually dig out with your BX.
I'll look into stump grinding but in my area it has gotten pretty expensive following the storms. The reason I was considering the stump bucket was because my stump removal needs will be continuing for a couple of years. Initially I probably have 30 - 40 to remove with at least that many remaining following continued clean up. I don't know how cost effective it would be to keep having the grinders come back repeatedly.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I think that would be a good size for the BX. Have you checked on how long it would take for delivery? I really want one of these because of the multiple uses for it.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
the artillian stump bucket is ~$300, if you are adventurous you could weld it to a blank SSQA frame $100, plus a few bucks for your fabricator all in for under $500. I'm selling my artillian frame with the grapple so Im in the process of doing this myself. When I ordered last from Artillian it arrived via UPS in 2 weeks, and the frame comes from Titan in a few days. I will check measurements later today.

I agree about paying for grinding. Here tree service is $200 per stump, regardless of size. To rent a legit hydraulic stump grinder for the day is ~$500. I did the little one with handle bars once for $250 a day, and will never do that again.

Last edited:

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
I don't think a stump bucket will be sufficient for 15-16" stump. I have a backhoe and it will take an hour or so for that sized stump. I'd recommend the grinder route. If you get a walk behind one and have small rocks use a shin protector (don't ask how I know)

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I agree about size, i missed that part. stump bucket good for loose balled stumps that are like 6" typically shallow-ish shrub style, on Bx and B

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I don't think a stump bucket will be sufficient for 15-16" stump. I have a backhoe and it will take an hour or so for that sized stump. I'd recommend the grinder route. If you get a walk behind one and have small rocks use a shin protector (don't ask how I know)
You nailed it! Those stumps are too large and if you cant get the machine all the way around the stump to loosen it that is another limiting factor! You will just beat the heck out of your machine and FEL!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Any chance you can drill a few big, deepish holes in the stumps, fill with diesel, come back next day, add some more , then light them up ? The stumps 'should' slowly burn themselves. I've seen guys 'plunge cut' with a chainsaw an 'X", add diesel and light them up.

Either that or rent a BIG backhoe. Doing a couple with the BX23S is ok,mornings labour...

A lot depends on the root structure..trees are 'funny', some shallow and wide, others like carrots.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Look into the cost of buying a stump grinder, and learn on your, and then you have a second occupation to supplement your tractor habit. :)

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Woodland Mills PTO stump grinder. As long as access is good, he could easily get 18"+ stumps down 4". Topsoil and done :) then grind out all neighbors stumps too

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
Thank you all for the advice. Buying a stump grinder is not an option and using the type that you stand behind is not an option. Did this once, never again.
I am going to have a grinder come in and handle the large stumps and it seems like it a stump bucket on a BX2380 might not handle the 15"-16" stuff.

I have two additional questions.
1. Below is a picture of the type of stumps I would like to remove. The tornado basically pushed the trees over exposing half the root ball already. The soil is sandy and a large number of these stumps are Spruce. Would the stump bucket on the 2380 work well on these types of stumps?

2. Since the "bucket" on the attachment extends 32" would this put undue force on the 2380's FEL?

Attachments

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
I think that would be a good size for the BX. Have you checked on how long it would take for delivery? I really want one of these because of the multiple uses for it.
The one from CRI is a 3 - 4 week lead time. The company is working 7 days a week to try and catch up with their backlog.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I can’t say yay or nay on the bucket but it sure would be handy to have. I’d sure give it a shot on some if that ground is partly sandy and those are partially up rooted it may not be as bad as we think.

I’ve been looking at these for a little while and the CRI looks really well made. There are others at a better price for sure but quality really stands out on the CRI. If you are thinking about getting one, better go ahead and order.. prices just keep going up!

BillSz.. have you watched any YouTube videos of the buckets in action?

Another thing.. if I was to get one I would take those teeth and put a slightly sharpened edge on them to help slice the smaller roots.

In the end.. it’s your money I’m just trying to help you spend it! 😁

Attachments

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
I can’t say yay or nay on the bucket but it sure would be handy to have. I’d sure give it a shot on some if that ground is partly sandy and those are partially up rooted it may not be as bad as we think.

I’ve been looking at these for a little while and the CRI looks really well made. There are others at a better price for sure but quality really stands out on the CRI. If you are thinking about getting one, better go ahead and order.. prices just keep going up!

BillSz.. have you watched any YouTube videos of the buckets in action?

Another thing.. if I was to get one I would take those teeth and put a slightly sharpened edge on them to help slice the smaller roots.

In the end.. it’s your money I’m just trying to help you spend it! 😁
When I compare the CRI with the artillian photo in one of the replies it seems that the artillean one has a triangular shaped piece welded inside the bucket for added strength. The CRI doesn't have this piece. The things I like about the CRI are (1) the teeth on the sloped sides, (2) that it is a one piece unit and (3) you can replace the teeth on the front with a spade attachment for regular digging.

A recent YouTube video on the artillean stump attachment is what got me started down this path.

It seems like the attachment would come in handy.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Thank you all for the advice. Buying a stump grinder is not an option and using the type that you stand behind is not an option. Did this once, never again.
I am going to have a grinder come in and handle the large stumps and it seems like it a stump bucket on a BX2380 might not handle the 15"-16" stuff.

I have two additional questions.
1. Below is a picture of the type of stumps I would like to remove. The tornado basically pushed the trees over exposing half the root ball already. The soil is sandy and a large number of these stumps are Spruce. Would the stump bucket on the 2380 work well on these types of stumps?

2. Since the "bucket" on the attachment extends 32" would this put undue force on the 2380's FEL?
I did not use a tractor - however. A pressure washer may help depending on accessibility.

FWIW, I lost a large oak (30+ inches in diameter and over 60 ft. tall) to a tornado; it was near the house in our neighborhood. A tree company wanted $1400 to remove it. It had been pushed over with half of the very large root ball exposed. I used my pressure washer (blaster tip) to clean all of the soil off and around the root ball. With an ax and a cheap electric chain saw, I freed the root ball. I then used my newly purchased Stihl Farm Boss 20" chain saw to limb and cut up the tree. I hauled it out to the street piece by piece with a hand truck, and the county collected it all for free.

BillSz

Jan 2, 2019
Northfield, Mn
I did not use a tractor - however. A pressure washer may help depending on accessibility.

FWIW, I lost a large oak (30+ inches in diameter and over 60 ft. tall) to a tornado; it was near the house in our neighborhood. A tree company wanted $1400 to remove it. It had been pushed over with half of the very large root ball exposed. I used my pressure washer (blaster tip) to clean all of the soil off and around the root ball. With an ax and a cheap electric chain saw, I freed the root ball. I then used my newly purchased Stihl Farm Boss 20" chain saw to limb and cut up the tree. I hauled it out to the street piece by piece with a hand truck, and the county collected it all for free.
I had heard that using a pressure washer to remove the dirt is the way to go before attempting to cut the roots. I'm planning on using a reciprocating saw with a pruning blade to cut roots along with an axe. The stump bucket seems like it would make the process a lot quicker.