Struggling during the last snow storm.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I recommend OP keep an eye peeled for a gently used D6 CAT. Or a Komatsu like that dude from Colorado was puttering around town in.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You sure about a snowblower on an open station tractor? I wouldn’t consider it unless I had a cab.
I ran that configuration for five years with a BX25D and BX5450. A warm cab out of the wind and snow is much nicer, but if you dress appropriately it's very doable. I was in the middle of upgrading the chute rotation from manual to hydraulic when I sold the BX. Being able to make quick and easy adjustments to the stream of snow that's smacking you in the face due to a wind change is a good thing. @Foxrunfarms, if you get a blower, put some thought into hydraulic or electric chute rotation. Chute deflection angle isn't such a big deal, but rotation is important.

Ah, the good ol' days with the BX25D and feeling the wind and powder on my face. :LOL:

bx25d_bx5450.jpg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Being laid up I can't justify a blower yet and I think the season is winding down so I'll keep an eye open during the summer or fall. I found 2 old v style blowers for 600. I think I'd like something nicer and newer . I found a nice 50 inch farm king for 2k about 2 hours away. If I had the funds that'd be on the tractor already.
With your interest in finding older equipment I'd suggest just that. Around here (south of Kansas City 40 miles) folks buy a snow blower new with their tractor and decide to sell it 5 years later because it's never been used. Older units are also available, and at a fairly low price. For you, a road trip would save a lot of money especially if it was summer time, and a 3 pt. mounts to anything.

Reactions: 3 users

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
BTW, you probably are an expert (a modest one) in snow removal with the experience you mentioned.
I agree with this 100% sounds like you got a few hours under your belt.

You sure about a snowblower on an open station tractor? I wouldn’t consider it unless I had a cab.
I did it for 9 years. Was it as enjoyable as it is now obviously not but it wasn’t that bad. Certainly better than loosing traction and struggling with a rear blade and bucket.

if your looking to keep the budget as low as possible I think used or older blower is the best bet. Find something that’s got a good gear box and drive lines. Not all bent and warped full of rust. Hydraulic options could start to add up if they need fixing but you could get away with a hand crank as your a ROPS tractor. New bearings clean and paint fresh gear oil and you’ve got a 3ph blower under a grand. Winter is the worst time to buy a used blower though obviously lol.
I gave this international a makeover 9 years ago and used the last of the international red paint on it in 21 and she is still going strong. Converted the hand crank to electric using a winch. In a few years I will again give it a paint. Might go orange however it will still say international 80 lol.

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Kubota LX2610, 1951 Farmall M, 1967 John Deere 110 Rf, 2010 Arctic Cat 700
Apr 25, 2023
WI
With your interest in finding older equipment I'd suggest just that. Around here (south of Kansas City 40 miles) folks buy a snow blower new with their tractor and decide to sell it 5 years later because it's never been used. Older units are also available, and at a fairly low price. For you, a road trip would save a lot of money especially if it was summer time, and a 3 pt. mounts to anything.
Thanks. Yes part of the excitement is the hunt. So far an hour has been my limit but if I go further......out of state I could convince my wife it's a family trip.
20230806_170321.jpg

20230116_212149.jpg

20220824_193918.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I agree with this 100% sounds like you got a few hours under your belt.

I did it for 9 years. Was it as enjoyable as it is now obviously not but it wasn’t that bad. Certainly better than loosing traction and struggling with a rear blade and bucket.

if your looking to keep the budget as low as possible I think used or older blower is the best bet. Find something that’s got a good gear box and drive lines. Not all bent and warped full of rust. Hydraulic options could start to add up if they need fixing but you could get away with a hand crank as your a ROPS tractor. New bearings clean and paint fresh gear oil and you’ve got a 3ph blower under a grand. Winter is the worst time to buy a used blower though obviously lol.
I gave this international a makeover 9 years ago and used the last of the international red paint on it in 21 and she is still going strong. Converted the hand crank to electric using a winch. In a few years I will again give it a paint. Might go orange however it will still say international 80 lol.
That looks really sharp. I enjoy giving life back into old equipment. Exactly like what you said some smart, parts, grease, and oil and you got something useful. I saved an ih plow, and jd cultivator from a fence line. 100.00 each. 1 week in the shop I have some nice implements.
20230909_181755~2.jpg

20230411_174159~2.jpg

This is what I'm finding in my area for blowers. As mentioned before if I wasn't recovering yet I'd have the farm king. The funny thing I have the best luck finding stuff putting out a want ad on Craigslists so when the time comes I'll have to do that.
Screenshot_20240122_103151_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240122_103047_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240122_103033_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240122_103017_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
By no means am I a snow or tractor expert but I plowed snow professionally for a company for 15 years with with a skid loader or 1 ton truck and plowed for the local township 2 years. I've been running farm tractors since I was 8 so I kind of have a general idea on those things.

I use to plow with a 700cc atv but now up graded to a lx2610 open station I use to plow my 200 yard horseshoe gravel driveway. I use the loader and a rear blade to clear the snow. Usually 25 minutes 3 to 4 passes Im done. I sometimes use a box blade too. I really like that to back up to buildings, leaves a nice finish, and I can dump it it where I want instead of rolling it over making " buffers" around the driveway.

This last storm dumped 10 inches of snow and 50 mph winds. I had 4 ft drifts in my driveway and for 8 hours it was just scoop, drive and dump was the name of the game. Other spots had 6 to 8 inches of snow, and with the rear blade angled taking half a pass I really had to steer with the brakes. I couldn't get out in my marsh to Groom the atv or snowmobile trails. I'd either bottom out the tractor or loose traction pushing with the loader. I couldn't push backwards with the blade either.

Granted this was a big storm, my atv wouldn't of had a chance against it, and a skidloader or a 1ton truck would've struggled too. I was just curious if anyone else struggled or struggles with bigger storms. I know every snow is differrnt and sometimes requires different tools. I feel defeated with this last storm......even though we only get something like that every 3 years. I'm really thinking of a snow blower after this storm. I have an idea on a brand and prefer a 3 point just hard on squeezing the trigger on that much money on a maybe use.

My tractor is completely stock. No extra weight or fluid in the tires, and r14's. I can tell a difference when I have the box blade on vs the straight blade for rear weight. I'm sure those things would help to a point but again I guess I'm just seeing if others struggle too........trying to make myself feel good haha. In my opinion I think a blower would be a nice plan of attack.

Thanks for your input.

I often have 50 mph winds up here in the mountains. The actual snowstorms arent really the problem for me....I can have 1 foot storm then I have to clear drifts every day for 5 days until the wind has blown as much as it wants. So a single storm I can have to clear daily for a week.

That said the best I have found is to have a plow blade on the front of some type of machine (I use RTV X1100C Boss V plow, you could use tractor with hydraulic angling) and another way to DISPLACE the snow...ie a snow blower. If I were you I would go plow blade on the front of the tractor and snow blower on the rear.
Lots of people dont like rear blowers..but they are about 1/3 the cost of a front blower setup and I think the blade on the front is best.

Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Lots of people dont like rear blowers..but they are about 1/3 the cost of a front blower setup and I think the blade on the front is best.
I agree with this 110%. A front mount snow blower is very nice to use but you have to compromise in terms of what's out back. With a front blade and rear blower you can deal with just about any situation. I'm still not sold on the pull-type rear mount snow blowers but I can see the appeal. Given that what I have works well I'm not about to pay $$$$ to try one out, but if ever I have to replace the SB1574 (bought used) or am no longer able to look over my shoulders I'll have to revisit the idea.

Reactions: 1 users

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I often have 50 mph winds up here in the mountains. The actual snowstorms arent really the problem for me....I can have 1 foot storm then I have to clear drifts every day for 5 days until the wind has blown as much as it wants. So a single storm I can have to clear daily for a week.

That said the best I have found is to have a plow blade on the front of some type of machine (I use RTV X1100C Boss V plow, you could use tractor with hydraulic angling) and another way to DISPLACE the snow...ie a snow blower. If I were you I would go plow blade on the front of the tractor and snow blower on the rear.
I agree. I'd like to keep the loader on the front for back dragging and everyday tasks. I've read many debates on front vs rear blowers and each of their own and the operator's preference. I think rears are easier and cheaper to maintain and sort of 1 size fits all.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I agree with this 110%. A front mount snow blower is very nice to use but you have to compromise in terms of what's out back. With a front blade and rear blower you can deal with just about any situation. I'm still not sold on the pull-type rear mount snow blowers but I can see the appeal. Given that what I have works well I'm not about to pay $$$$ to try one out, but if ever I have to replace the SB1574 (bought used) or am no longer able to look over my shoulders I'll have to revisit the idea.
I agree with you. I like the idea of " double tools" or techniques for the snow. I just came across those pull behind blowers. It reminds me of a silage chopper. I'm still scratching my head on how well it'd work or why . The rear back up blower would be nice to eat drifts.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I agree with you. I like the idea of " double tools" or techniques for the snow. I just came across those pull behind blowers. It reminds me of a silage chopper. I'm still scratching my head on how well it'd work or why . The rear back up blower would be nice to eat drifts.
You're right! If you have to get into a deep bank of snow those rear pull-type blowers aren't ideal. Other than having to look over your shoulder (or use mirrors), the standard rear blowers are great. I rotate my entire body in the seat when backing up so it's not a strain on my neck.

My experience is limited to using a front blower and rear blade on a BX for five years, and a front hydraulic angle blade and rear blower on two MXs for three years. In that time I've figured out what I like and what works for me given my needs with 400 yards of gravel and 200 yards of asphalt.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here's a turnkey solution at the local Kubota dealer. Front blower, backhoe, grapple, rear blade, cab etc. (y)

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
By no means am I a snow or tractor expert but I plowed snow professionally for a company for 15 years with with a skid loader or 1 ton truck and plowed for the local township 2 years. I've been running farm tractors since I was 8 so I kind of have a general idea on those things.

I use to plow with a 700cc atv but now up graded to a lx2610 open station I use to plow my 200 yard horseshoe gravel driveway. I use the loader and a rear blade to clear the snow. Usually 25 minutes 3 to 4 passes Im done. I sometimes use a box blade too. I really like that to back up to buildings, leaves a nice finish, and I can dump it it where I want instead of rolling it over making " buffers" around the driveway.

This last storm dumped 10 inches of snow and 50 mph winds. I had 4 ft drifts in my driveway and for 8 hours it was just scoop, drive and dump was the name of the game. Other spots had 6 to 8 inches of snow, and with the rear blade angled taking half a pass I really had to steer with the brakes. I couldn't get out in my marsh to Groom the atv or snowmobile trails. I'd either bottom out the tractor or loose traction pushing with the loader. I couldn't push backwards with the blade either.

Granted this was a big storm, my atv wouldn't of had a chance against it, and a skidloader or a 1ton truck would've struggled too. I was just curious if anyone else struggled or struggles with bigger storms. I know every snow is differrnt and sometimes requires different tools. I feel defeated with this last storm......even though we only get something like that every 3 years. I'm really thinking of a snow blower after this storm. I have an idea on a brand and prefer a 3 point just hard on squeezing the trigger on that much money on a maybe use.

My tractor is completely stock. No extra weight or fluid in the tires, and r14's. I can tell a difference when I have the box blade on vs the straight blade for rear weight. I'm sure those things would help to a point but again I guess I'm just seeing if others struggle too........trying to make myself feel good haha. In my opinion I think a blower would be a nice plan of attack.

Thanks for your input.
My B2650 open station with front-mount B2782B blower with BB1560 boxblade on the back LOVES the kind of storm you're struggling with. Heading out in a few minutes to have some more fun with it.

• Love

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
Here's a turnkey solution at the local Kubota dealer. Front blower, backhoe, grapple, rear blade, cab etc. (y)

When buying my Kubota the funny thing was my whole package deal was cheaper than the competitors tractor alone. My dealer was having a promo so much % off if you got 3 attachments. I decided on the loader, mower and rotortiller he gave me a quick hitch for very little also which for most of my older attachments isn't all that quick. Forks and a snowblower were /next in line. I have no use for a compact backhoe.........a high hoe though would keep me busy.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
My B2650 open station with front-mount B2782B blower with BB1560 boxblade on the back LOVES the kind of storm you're struggling with. Heading out in a few minutes to have some more fun with it.
Seen a few jd guys with a set up like that.

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
As much as I’d love to be blowing forward I just don’t want to loose the FEL for the winter or have to swap around. If or when I'm in the market for a second tractor or skid steer I’d then maybe consider a front mount blower but still would only be looking for used and built to last or repair at least lol. This way I’d have the FEL on the 7060. Blower on the skid steer. Pic isn’t mine but sure is sexy.

Attachments

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I wanted a front mounted blower but the HIGH cost, and it's more complicated setup, has me set on a rear 3 point, rear facing blower. I think that a Rear pto is stronger than a Mid, but I have no facts or experience to back that opinion up. A Rear mount is easy peasy. And I have big mirrors on my cab. I almost never turn around in the seat. Even running a blade or box scraper.

With the tall drifts I had last year a rear mounted, forward facing blower, would not have helped.

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Got a couple friends with the inverted type. They love them. I’ve never used one so can’t really speak on that. I do get the drift issue. My 7060 doesn’t have a mid pto so I was looking at running from the rear to the front. Even more added to the cost. Was around 10,000 when I got my 7060 so I just kept the 3ph iH 80 I already owned. I have seem a few in the 4500-6000 used price that I’d have to make work with my loaders mounts plus usually new hoses all around. Just to much work and cost for what I need to use it for. I don’t do any commercial snow just my own and a few favours along the way.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
As much as I’d love to be blowing forward I just don’t want to loose the FEL for the winter or have to swap around. If or when I'm in the market for a second tractor or skid steer I’d then maybe consider a front mount blower but still would only be looking for used and built to last or repair at least lol. This way I’d have the FEL on the 7060. Blower on the skid steer. Pic isn’t mine but sure is sexy.
Ya swapping is a bit of a pain, but the boxblade is a very capable sub when pushing, pulling, and moving lots of snow around. It does ice sheet rough-up with the scarifiers real nice, too.

Foxrunfarms

Equipment
Apr 25, 2023
WI
I wanted a front mounted blower but the HIGH cost, and it's more complicated setup, has me set on a rear 3 point, rear facing blower. I think that a Rear pto is stronger than a Mid, but I have no facts or experience to back that opinion up. A Rear mount is easy peasy. And I have big mirrors on my cab. I almost never turn around in the seat. Even running a blade or box scraper.

With the tall drifts I had last year a rear mounted, forward facing blower, would not have helped.
That's the other thing. A 3 point blower can go higher to take a top bite then bottom bite out of a bigger drift if it has to be.