Straightening bent front bumper, L185?

Tallbald

Nov 24, 2015
KY
Sure appreciate all the insight offered here on my little 1980 L185 I'll bring home and begin restoration on come March 2016.
If going by many of the photos I've studied of older Kubota compacts, mine isn't the only one that has at some time in its life lost a front bumper contest with a tree. A replacement front bumper for my tractor from a salvage yard costs $175. That's a lot of money for me and I'd like to try bending it back into shape myself. Pretty sure I won't be able to make it perfect, but I'd like it better than it is now (please see photos below). How have others done this please?
I have access to an anvil, have a 1 ton hydraulic bottle jack, a propane torch and sledge hammer. Also a small charcoal forge I made to craft small knives. Sure looks like it will be a chore, but to save $175 I need to give it a try. If I can get close, I can disguise any small imperfections with a 6x6 pressure treated push bumper or something else. Eagerly awaiting suggestions! Thanks as always, Don.

Tallbald

Nov 24, 2015
KY
Vic thank you so much. Is bringing it across the border from Canada to a 42104 ZIP code in Bowling Green, Kentucky cost-prohibitive? I now know who to contact! Don

Last edited:

Fastdonzi

Equipment
New Grand L3560
Dec 4, 2015
East Tn
Looks like you could start with some C-Clamps and a Long cheater bar. to bend it back to a reasonable shape before you do the detail bending/hammering :)

Tallbald

Nov 24, 2015
KY
Fastdonzi I agree on the approach. I don't think a plain propane plumbing torch would give me enough heat over a large enough area, so unless I can manage to use my homemade knife forging charcoal forge to get some heat in it, I think I'll have to cold form it. I know it won't look brand-new perfect, but better than it does now. Repainting will help too, as well as a section of angle iron made into an additional front bumper cross-member. Don.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If you add weight to it after your straightening, make sure and add a couple braces. I added around 300 lbs to the front of mine. Noticed it was looking crooked compared to the hood a few weeks ago :eek:

the metal started ripping loose on one side near a joint. So, at some point I'm gonna have to get on it with an old school bumper jack, get it straight. And weld in some gussets :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Got the same bumper on my L235 with a nearly perfect crescent dent. There has got to be a story to it.... but I don't know it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Don, if you or some of your friends do metal work with grinders, welders, etc. cut the front bumper off just in front of the flat cross piece. Then you can straighten it in a press, or other means to suit your taste.

Chamfer the edges and weld it back on, adding the gussets Darren mentioned. Then you're all set in one operation.

Tallbald

Nov 24, 2015
KY
Appreciating the thoughts and comments. I can't weld----all I can do is "stick metal together" . I do have a son-in-law who's a fine welder.
I made a small charcoal forge for crafting knives I think I can adapt to heating the bumper. And access to an anvil. I don't expect to put extra weight on my bumper so gussets won't be needed but I see the need if I did add weight. I'm encouraged here folks. Thanks. Don

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The bumper is easy to remove from the tractor, 4-6 bolts. Spray with penetrant from underside and behind the frame . I put a jack between The mounting face (3/8 thick) and the weight bar and forced it into place. A small floor jack (remove wheels?) or an old scissor jack will fit. You might be able to pull it sideways with a come along before taking it off the tractor if both sides are slanting over. Picture looks like only one side is slanted, that might be straightened by straightening the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Its amazing what a bottle jack can do, a push here and there and it will get close.
I often use a ratchet load binder and chain for persuading uncooperative steel parts to do what i want.

When you go at it, remember you cant make it any worse :) i usually use colorful expletives in that sentence.

Tallbald

Nov 24, 2015
KY
Tooljunkie I agree! Hateful language has been known to make my arms stronger. Always worked in the shipyard. I do have a small bottle jack. Expect to be using every approach I can use. Don.